Menu

s/o on treadmill thread

I was just looking at treadmills. I need to get in shape and there are so many reasons (kids, weather) why running outside is problematic. Amazon seems to have treadmills from $399 to $1,399. Does anyone have any advice about what kind of treadmill to buy? Anything you are particularly pleased with?

Thanks!!

Well, we used to have an old one, which finally broke. I really enjoyed walking on it during my pregnancies, and I was currently pregnant, so I really wanted to replace it. I thought we would have to spend a lot of money and do lots of research to make sure we would get a good one that would last a long time, etc. My dh and I were in Walmart one evening and we looked at their treadmills. They were all so much more advanced than the old clunker I had been walking on! We ended up spending maybe $300 for one--not the lowest end, but still fairly low end--and it's been great. It's a bit wider than my old one, it has a fan (which I love!), it's moves up and down at the touch of a button (my old one you have to physically get off and crank up!) and it has more options on the monitor part. I've had it now for hmmm . . . I think 2-3 years, and I have walked on it most days with no problems, maintenence-wise.

SO all that to say, I don't think you really need the high-end ones unless you are looking for some serious preprogrammed workout options and want gym-quality fitness machines! At this point, I think even the cheaper ones do most of what the average person wants to do, and they do it quite well. FWIW, I have a "Gold's Gym 450".

I hope this is helpful, and that you find one you like! I do think having one has helped me exercise regularly.

I purchaed a $500 Image from Walmart 5 years ago and it has never given us anytrouble and has been used regularly. Now I thought it was pretty good until I got on a $1500+ one at the hotel we stayed in adn realized there is a big difference in cushioning and/or shock. That being said I have not had any problems with my knees at all even running consecutive days with my lowly wm treadmill. I like that it has the incline features and everything is can be read easily.

it's their brand, Pro-form. We've been very happy with it. The first one cost around $500, and we had it 6 years. We've had our current one for almost 7, it cost around $700. We bought the extended warranty with both, and it is well worth it. We replaced the drum on the old one 2x. We've replaced this one once so far.

When we were first looking at them a colleague of my dh's said that if we planned to run on it at all, and if more than one of us was going to use it, than we better get the warranty. The other option is to buy one that is designed for a gym. They are a lot more expensive and don't fold up, but they are designed to used.

I would say not to go with too cheap a model. I would avoid the ones sold at Walmart or Kmart. After the basic Sears model the price goes up for extra stuff, like the ability to hook up your iPod. Nordic-Track makes a nice treadmill too, but it costs more to get the name.

I like my treadmill. Without it I would not have been able to start running. It's too hard when you have house full of kids to get out of the house.

One other thing I like. We have a TV mounted on the wall by the treadmill. This is important (at least for me!:)). It can get very boring running in place. You start feeling like a hamster.:tongue_smilie:

We have a Vision T9200 treadmill. We have had ours fors for 7 years, but it has been gently used;) It does work well though.The Vision was rated well by Consumer reports back then which I recommend checking for the latest ratings.

I think it is important to know if you intend running on it or just walking. If you are a runner, then I would definately look at high end models. You also might want to check out used or refurbished treadmills if any are available to save money:)

At this point, I think even the cheaper ones do most of what the average person wants to do, and they do it quite well. FWIW, I have a "Gold's Gym 450".

The Gold's Gym 450 got excellent reviews, I think.

My treadmill is an old ProForm that I bought for $150 on Craigslist.com.

It works just fine, has a fan (which was at the top of my requirements!), has auto-incline, and seems to hold it's speed pretty well. Could it be bigger and have more cushioning? Yep. But overall, it's worth the $150 I paid. If it broke tomorrow, I'd either buy the Gold's Gym, or start watching craigslist again.

Thank for the great advice - I am printing out all the replies. I am glad the relatively inexpensive ones, like the Gold's Gym 450, work OK. I don't want to overbuy, because I am not that great an exerciser, and I appreciate the advice about walking versus running -- the "walking" models will be more than adequate for me.

Thank for the great advice - I am printing out all the replies. I am glad the relatively inexpensive ones, like the Gold's Gym 450, work OK. I don't want to overbuy, because I am not that great an exerciser, and I appreciate the advice about walking versus running -- the "walking" models will be more than adequate for me.

Actually, I'd read and heard that the cheaper ones were usually garbage, but the Gold's Gym specifically was one of the only cheapies that was still recommended.

http://www.consumersearch.com/search/reviews/treadmill

We have a True brand treadmill and have been extremely happy with the performance. No problems in over 10 years of fairly heavy use.

I don't think you could go wrong with a True treadmill, other than the price.:) I seem to recall some sticker shock but it has been worth every penny since it has lasted so long and never had any problems.

Blessings,

Sunflower