Menu

2 Important Questions for a New HS Mom? Seeking the Hive's Experience!

I am hosting a meeting for several new HS moms, and would like to share the hive's wonderful collective experience.

1. What advice would you share with a new hs mom?

2. What supplies have you found to be essential?

3. What supplies have you found to be convenient?

4. Anything else you want to add?!!

Don't copy schools & classrooms. Pick a cozy couch on which to read... read aloud & often.... use the dining room or a table for workbooks & projects (don't feel like you have ot buy or make desks, etc).

Talk about things. Don't just read the story of Gettyburg... talk about all the ramifications... the families... the pain/suffering. Make the PEOPLE REAL and not just facts from a big old book.

Use as few textbooks as possible. Read, read, read.

Get a good, old fashioned pencil sharpener... a good ruler... a few highlighters... and a journal or method of record keeping (I use a teacher planner notebook as a diary instead of plan).

Take breaks if kids are hyper or distracted... let them have 15 minutes of exercise & get the blood moving. If really fatigued... close the books and take a nap... resume after refreshed.

Don't listen to questions about why do you want to homeschool? Don't listen to socialization arguements!

Go on field trips with local homeschoolers... from fire dept for little ones to reenactments for everyone!

I am sure that i can think of more... but I think I have been longwinded enough.;)

1. What advice would you share with a new hs mom? You don't have to plan highschool in 3rd grade. Yes, you want to have a goal, a theory of education can be nice (like the Trivium, Charlotte Mason etc) but realize that things change, kids change, teachers change. It is like planning your wardrobe for the next 10 years today. Sure you can do it, but don't close yourself in and don't waste a lot time planning what you may end up not using. Personally, I like to think of things in an 'elementary, middle school, high school cycle' and loosely plan accordingly.

Lots of pencils, reams of paper (lined-plain-art), computer ink/toner (good time to buy a laser printer), good computers, fast Internet connection, DVD and VHS (there are a lot of great VHS at our library) players, a comfortable place for each person to work, a white board or chalk board (saves a lot of paper).

Coming to WTM Forum has been an essential for me, but can be a time waste as well, so it comes with a warning :0)

Lots of art supplies for adding variety, a computer for each person, a personal library, memberships to museums-science museums-zoo, a paper cutter, and display boards for projects.

Take it slow in the beginning. Start with the core subjects, add in one or two extras but realize that the people who do:

math

science

history

lit

English writing and grammar

art

music

pe

Latin

foreign language

extra reading for pleasure

logic

ministry/volunteer work/running farm or business/spelling bee/science bowl/math bowl/science fair/debate/competitive sports/cap/Boy-Girl Scouts/dance/theatre/etc.

....aren't a typical homeschooler and didn't start out jumping in to doing it all at once.

Read read read. Read to the kids. Have the kids read (if they can yet). You read about homeschooling.

Talk a lot about what you're learning. Talk all the time about the world around you.

For example, I asked my 1st grader why we speak English. (...because America was colonized by the English...because the English became an Empire that colonized...because the English never got taken over by Rome...back back back in history to see how it relates to us today.)

1. Lay good groundwork. Have good relationships with your dc, including a good disciplinary system. Homeschooling well-behaved, respectful children whom you love and who love you is an absolute joy, but homeschooling ill-behaved, disrespectful, or lazy children is painful, if not impossible. The relationship needs straightening out first.

2. Teach at the level your child needs. If Johnny is at a second grade math level, start there and work up, whether Johnny is four or ten.

3. Don't be afraid to switch curricula. Education is not one size fits all! Your neighbor's family may thrive on Saxon Math, but yours might do better with Singapore or Math-U-See.

4. Look at your own personality and priorities. Are you willing to put in the time and effort that homeschooling takes? Would you do better with a literature-based curricula or a scripted, workbook one? Which would your children learn more with?

Supplies:

Necessary -- pencils, paper, -- and lots of books!!! Give your library card a workout!

Nice to have -- computer(s), encyclopedia, dictionary, thesaurus, atlas, CD/DVD players

You don't need a special schoolroom, desks, etc. Our dining room and living room work just fine for schooling.

I am hosting a meeting for several new HS moms, and would like to share the hive's wonderful collective experience.

RELAX! Don't try to duplicate a public school. Make your schedule and materials work for YOUR family. Take one day at a time, it's less overwhelming that way. If you feel like a failure one day, remember that tomorrow will be a new day.

My dining room table and extra bookshelves. The usual things like pencils, sharpeners, crayons, colored pencils, glue sticks, scissors, plain and colored paper. Of course you basic curriculum and lots of good books to read. Your local library card comes in handy too.

Extra bookshelves

Don't be afraid to change curriculums if what you have isn't working for you or your child.

Most of all Love and enjoy your children! The years fly by quickly!

:grouphug:

And did I say most of all love and enjoy your children! The years fly by quickly!

As others have said, don't try to replicate school at home. For example, the first thing I did was paint a big chalkboard on the wall. We never use it. Chalkboards or whiteboards are for classrooms because the teacher can't sit beside every student at the same time and teach them up close. Now, we do use the white board, but it's for copywork, and saves paper. I could just as easily copy something on a piece of scrap paper and let dd have it in front of her. Same with math equations or diagrams--

See what methods are out there, because not every method looks like the classroom methods we are used to. Some are not common knowledge (Charlotte Mason, for example--never heard of her before I investigated homeschooling).

Try not to compare your school at home with others' if it upsets you or makes you second guess yourself. The great thing about homeschooling is that there are lots of ways to do it, and, as long as you are doing what meets your kids' needs, you are doing it the right way.

Have a vision, but give it up if you find it isn't working--don't forget to explore what works for you and your teaching style, as well as your kids' learning style.

Supplies--copy machines/printers are nearly essential as in awfully nice to have. Plenty of paper, art supplies, and a pencil sharpener (I like the old fashioned, wall mounted kind), and lots of fun art supplies help things go smoothly. A library card saves tons of money. You may not need--

a flag

a desk

desk lamps

backpack

pencil case

exercise equipment

fancy chemistry sets

a chalkboard

border

bulletin board displays

posters

but some of those are nice to have! I do have a schoolroom because I like to have a special place for everything, and I do like the classroom feel, as long as it is personalized and cozy. But I don't school only there--school is life, and takes place all around---the house, the yard, the park, the city, the world.

1. Best advice I got was "The first lesson is obedience." If you can't get your children to obey you as a mother, then you won't have much success as a teaching mother. Learn how to instill obedience and then begin.

Next best advice was to begin slowly by starting with one subject at a time. Then when that is in place & you are feeling on top of it, add the next.

Then, use a schedule. As loose or as strict as your family needs. Without a plan for the day, things happen, and you never get to what you intended to do.

2. Internet as a source of recommendations, info, support, and ideas. That is to say, I've found it most useful for me. I don't encourage my boys to use it while they're elementary age, though I will when they're older.

Lots of good quality coloring pencils, crayons, and plain white paper. We draw a lot.

Dover historical coloring books. The children color appropriate pictures while listening to history.

A car, to take field trips. I plan for one every week. It breaks up the week and we have something to look forward to.

Membership in the local museum. They have a lot of educational materials and opportunities that are hard to replicate otherwise.

A mentor. Like the WTM boards, real life people who can give you a perspective. Seek them out. Like Jacob wrestling with the angel, don't let them go till they give you their blessing of good information and advice.

Write your goals for your dc down (academic, spiritual, life skills, etc) and keep that handy for the days when you wonder why you're doing this! ;)

For us, supplies we need are:

pencils and sharpener

notebooks or notebook paper

sketch books, drawing paper, construction paper

colored pencils

crayons

tape

glue

binders

folders

something to organize the supplies in

some place to keep books and binders

some way to play music (cd player, ipod; our cable tv has music channels we listen to daily)

access to a copier

1. What advice would you share with a new hs mom? Those that seem to "do it all" are not the norm- don't compare yourself! If you have a lot of dc or dc who are add/hd or disorganized, color coding them (pencils, notebooks, etc.) works great!

2. What supplies have you found to be essential? A white board! A big one, and a lap sized one for each child. My dc love to use them for math!

3. What supplies have you found to be convenient? again, lap sized whiteboards. Lots of pink pearl erasers (add that to the must have list)

Do what works for "you and your dc", not someone else! Oh, and don't buy 4 years worth of a curriculum because you think you'll love it and you want to save money on shipping...you won't. It would have been better to pay the shipping :tongue_smilie: