Menu

My kids are sitting in the driveway surrounded by toys and are playing with

a roll of paper towels and the water hose. Yes, there are buckets of chalk, bubbles with all kinds of wands, bikes, blocks, and they are playing with the water hose and, currently, 2 paper towels. :banghead: Yesterday they were playing with the classic cardboard box.

Someone please explain to me why underpriveleged children NEED toys? (Said tongue in cheek, NOT meant to start something!)

In my house, the hose had to be put up in the rafters of the garage to prevent my oldest from flooding the back yard with it. There's just something about a stream of water on a hot summer day that thrills kids (and me too). Of course, if they didn't have toys, this would eventually get old and it could get expensive too with our water rates.

In my house, the hose had to be put up in the rafters of the garage to prevent my oldest from flooding the back yard with it. There's just something about a stream of water on a hot summer day that thrills kids (and me too). Of course, if they didn't have toys, this would eventually get old and it could get expensive too with our water rates.

Never got old for my two. My ds is VERY sensitive to clorine so going to a pool is out. We put a 15' above ground pool in this summer for them but for several summers they had access to the hose and it pretty much ran all day. We have pea gravel in their play area and they could make some pretty remarkable rivers, dams, lakes etc.

When people gasp at the amount it took to fill the pool I just laugh and tell them, "We ran the water for 3 days to fill the pool compared to 3 months last year of almost everyday running.

yes. We have a pool too, but we've had a week of unseasonably cold weather. So, we do the next best thing. Play with the hose. And we have taught them to just barely turn it on. And they do. For the most part.

When my 3 boys were little, I'd give them a large bowl of water and each of them a foam paintbrush and they'd paint the sidewalks. Of course they'd have to go back over where they'd "painted" because it dried quickly. This kept them busy for SOOO long, it really was amazing!

I just took 4 cardboard boxes from my girls' room which had been strung together to create a train for their dolls. Another smaller box had been cut and redesigned to create a car seat for my youngest's favorite doll.

So I'm thinking that maybe we should donate all the toys in the playroom and just replace them with cardboard boxes, string, markers and construction paper. I mean really...I've never seen such creativity from them when they are playing with "normal" toys.