Menu

What is the silliest pet name you've ever heard?

I'll go first. My daughter's cocker spaniel/King Charles spaniel is named Thumpy. To tease her, we call Thumpy by other names: Thumpo, Dumbo, Plumpo, and so on. Lately I've been calling him Gumbo, and I just love it! It's so silly that it always makes me laugh.

I wonder what our vet practice would say if I were to enroll a dog named "Gumbo?" I doubt they've ever heard that one before.

My 4yo dd has a pet toad from the backyard named Squeaky Banana. It's kind of yellowish and it squeaks when she holds it...we learned that it was a male (only the males vocalize). She was devestated and still insists that Squeaky Banana is a girl!

We had a Basset Hound named Flounder. she had a little jingles we'd sing to her and she'd kind of hum along "Flounder Hounder, big and rounder than the average Hounder, gotta lose a pounder to be a thinner Flounder!"

I know, we are so pathetic! Oh those HS families!

In the past we have had :

A black manx cat who was not the prettiest (girl) on the block.

We named her Marcellus Wallace ( after character in Pulp Fiction)

A brother & sister dog ( a form of hunting dog, whose name escapes me at this point of time).

Their names were : Razza and Matazz

A budgie named Batman

A male rabbit named Rapunzel

2 cats:

a male called Keb - after the blues singer Keb Mo

a female cat, with a gorgeous purr called Delta - after the Australian singer, Delta Goodrum.

Our horses aren't pets necessarily, but I am always tickled at the registered names that people come up with for their horses.

We have...

Simply Eternal

Plenty Hollywood

Generals June Bug

Miss BB Lucky

Dusters Do Joy

among others, but these are the oddest!

We have a very fluffy white Havanese who likes to crawl under furniture and is often covered in dustbunnies, so I named him Swiffer. :001_smile:

One of our horses is called Space Monkey because she's really dumb and spacey, and I think she looks like a chimp.

Oh, and my daughter's little pony was absolutely spherical when we first got him, so we named him Meatball. He's chestnut and he really looked like a little round meatball. He was so obese the vet thought he had a metabolic problem, but it turned out he was just grossly overfed at his previous home. After a year on a strict diet, he's slim and sleek so now people go :confused: when they hear his name is Meatball, lol.

In the past I've had cats named Bumblebee (striped tabby) and Bathmat (very placid long-haired cat who used to sprawl out on the floor and not move for hours, lol).

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

When I was a toddler we had a pekingnese named tinkerbell. The dumb thing bit me and had to go. My next dog was a black chow/shepherd mix named Raven (I was into Poe at the time). We have had several cats: meshach, shadrach, and cricket and screech (named after the sound the tires were making on a busy 4 lane road as the cars tried to avoid the kittens that had been dumped nearby :glare:

Oh, and our neighbor had a dog named.....Kipper. Guess who named him?!

I had a ferret named Junkyard. My hubby thought he was very ugly when he was a kit and there you go. My hubby also named sibling cockateils we had Zippidy and Dudah.

I hear many strange names at the clinic where I work and unfortunately some cannot be repeated here.

Some of my favorite are Bee and Bop and the owners will only bring them in at the same time and you must say the names in order.

We have a very fluffy white Havanese who likes to crawl under furniture and is often covered in dustbunnies, so I named him Swiffer. :001_smile:

Jackie

My sister had a cat named Swiffer for a while; she currently has one named Galileo.

Cats I have had or currently have:

Jiffy

Tempest

Requiem

Phobia (Requiem and Phobia were both solid black)

Kuro (means black in Japanese, and yes, he is)

Pepe le Pew

Dorian Gray

Another one of my friends just named her sixth cat "Spider."

My sister came up with that years and years ago for her cat. There's some reasoning behind it she says---a term of endearment.

Still today, if she asks how my cats are doing, she often asks how the Breadnesspies are.

We had a cat name Skeezits growing up and called him Skeez.

I also knew someone in high school who got a dog and named him Ah Sh** beecause he was always breaking things. You know "Ah sh** what did you do now.?" Oh the antics of high schoolers. :001_rolleyes:

My good friend has a minature pinscher and named him Thor. He lives up to his name too. 300 lb dog in a 6 pound body! HA

Ask'it (a cat)

Beaver (a cat)

Killer (min Pin)

Wife (dog)

Pudding and Pi. Sister cats, my dh got with a gf long before I was on the scene. Pudding was really really dumb, and Pi was smart, hence the names. When we met, Pi and my dh had been on their own for about a decade, and Pi was some possessive, lol!

Some of the names I've seen for registered dogs and cats are hilarious, but the silliest one I ever knew personally was a Budgie named Lunch who arrived in a household with a very large and persistent cat named Cannibal.

Were he true to his name, however, Cannibal would have had no interest in Lunch. Quite unfortunately, but not unexpectedly, Lunch was true to his name.

My ILs had a dachshund named Pig.

And our neighbors have a large, mixed-breed (Rottweiler, Lab, Great Dane), male named Sparkles.

We had a big black lab/hound/rottweiler mix named Faery Angel. He was my dd's puppy - she named him.

Do any of you remember that racehorse named Hoof Hearted. I thought I was going to die when I heard a clip of a fasted paced play by play with that horse in it. :lol:

Funny!

And! I got that right away! Usually I end up pondering these things all day, when I read them on these boards.

When I was little we had 2 German Shepherd/St. Bernard mixes... Bilbo Baggins and Snifftiff (my nickname when I was a toddler - no idea why:confused:), and the hamsters were Gandalf and Frodo.

When we had fish, they were all Star Wars Characters. Princess Leia the Angelfish killed everyone else.

Currently, the cats are named Mr. Weasley and Nimphadora Tonks:D

The kids WANTED to name our Beagle "Jack Ace" (completely innocently!!! Until we pointed out what might become of that.....) --- But he ended up being just HANK.

Oh, and the other day on TV, there was a dog named "STAINZ" --- aweful!:lol:

About ten years ago, my mother told me the story of her friend's cat, which I still remember - the friend's older brother was a bit of an odd duck and *he* named the cat....

Moogaloony Lovelace Primrose Bradbury Bodang Alphonse Begonia.

They called him "Moog" for short. :)

Some of the names I've seen for registered dogs and cats are hilarious, but the silliest one I ever knew personally was a Budgie named Lunch who arrived in a household with a very large and persistent cat named Cannibal.

Were he true to his name, however, Cannibal would have had no interest in Lunch. Quite unfortunately, but not unexpectedly, Lunch was true to his name.

:001_huh:

:lol::lol::lol:

I had fish: Rye and Vodka. I was 5 and named them all by myself LOL!

My dd got a fish for her 3rd bday and named it Snuggly. LOL

I had 4 newts named Flotsam, Jetsam, Phalange and Bacon. Each was named according to what I observed about them the moment I introduced them to their new home. One floated, one sank, one did nothing but had extra toes, and one did the bacon!

My dd's cat is named Sneekers. He doesn't sneak anymore though, he's completely blind and has been for over a year. He's more like Bumpy or Bumpers now LOL!

When I was a child, our neighbors had a Boston terrier named D*mnit. They said they were always saying "D*mnit, come here!" and "D*mnit, stop that!", so the dog thought that was his name. As children, we thought it was glorious that we were able to say such a word because after all it was the dog's NAME!

I think there was a commedian later on (Bill Cosby?) who had a similar comic routine about thinking his own name was something similar, and for similar reasons.

Edited by Janet in WA