Menu

Bible Curriculum

9th grade--Ds needed some basics, so he went thru Paul Little's Know What You Believe and Know Why You Believe, along with daily devotional reading of the Bible using The One Year Bible. He also used Omnibus, but we just sort of counted it in the mix. He was active in youth group and church, too, and did a mission trip. Oh, and he memorized some verses, too.

10th grade--We did a comparative religions class, sort of. He read Bruce Bickel's book about religions, but I can't recall the title. He continued his devotional reading of the Bible--I think this was very effective. He did parts of Omnibus, too. (And church, youth group, mission trip all continued.) I added in some Bible memory.

11th grade--I think he read some missionary stories, and we used some different devotionals--nothing really popped. We had some pretty extensive family troubles at this point. I wish I'd done more.

12th grade--Ds schooled the summer before 12th grade and then for 1 semester, and graduated in Dec. He was tired of his devotional, and I didn't really have the mental energy to school him, so he rather limped to the finish line, and Bible took a back seat. It is one of my biggest regrets.

Hope this history helps you--I think ds is grounded, but I just wish I'd remained faithful to take him deeper into scripture study. I don't think anything really beats getting familiar with the Bible itself.

Julie..Have you already used this book?? It looks like what I am looking for...but I would like to know if there are chapter review questions, vocab and essay type questions. i would also like to know if this book has denominational leanings or is it is non-denominational.

Thanks,

Faithe

Julie..Have you already used this book?? It looks like what I am looking for...but I would like to know if there are chapter review questions, vocab and essay type questions. i would also like to know if this book has denominational leanings or is it is non-denominational.

Thanks,

Faithe

Hi Faithe,

My ds started the book, but he had a really full load last year, and we found that he just couldn't fit it in. He already was covering some heavy stuff in Sunday School class, so I felt fine about dropping this book for now. We will probably go back to it in the fall.

I'll try to describe the layout for you...

On the first page of each chapter, there is an outline of the chapter, and a list of learning objectives for the chapter. The chapter text itself is easy to understand, but fairly "dense" in terms of content. Lots to absorb and commit to memory.

At the end of each chapter, there is a list of key terms/key people/key places to learn, a nice summary of the chapter, about 5 study questions which are entirely appropriate for essay topics if you wish to assign them that way, and a list of sources for further reading. Included with the book is an interactive cd rom that works as a companion to what's in the book, and if you call the publisher they will mail you a cd that has tests and test key for each chapter (for free!).

Be forewarned that (imo) the book is fairly challenging, and you would need to judge whether your student is ready or not. I wish I could find something with this format and style for my younger kids.

ETA: In my perusal of the book, I didn't see anything that seemed to lean towards any particular denomination.

I've wanted to get a hold of this book for a while. From several years of reviews, it looks like a winner.

Would love to hear from someone using it!!

I read some things concerning this book here and a great review by World Mag and got very excited about it. it will be a perfect fit for my son. I don't know if the website above has the link, but if you google the title of the book, you can see a 40 pg. preview and you can really see what it is all about. I haven't learned how to include links here...sorry. It has journal ideas spread throughout and project/research/essay ideas also at the end of chapters. At least, I think that is what I remember:glare:

There is a recent thread here also if you search for the book.

Hi Faithe,

My ds started the book, but he had a really full load last year, and we found that he just couldn't fit it in. He already was covering some heavy stuff in Sunday School class, so I felt fine about dropping this book for now. We will probably go back to it in the fall.

I'll try to describe the layout for you...

On the first page of each chapter, there is an outline of the chapter, and a list of learning objectives for the chapter. The chapter text itself is easy to understand, but fairly "dense" in terms of content. Lots to absorb and commit to memory.

At the end of each chapter, there is a list of key terms/key people/key places to learn, a nice summary of the chapter, about 5 study questions which are entirely appropriate for essay topics if you wish to assign them that way, and a list of sources for further reading. Included with the book is an interactive cd rom that works as a companion to what's in the book, and if you call the publisher they will mail you a cd that has tests and test key for each chapter (for free!).

Be forewarned that (imo) the book is fairly challenging, and you would need to judge whether your student is ready or not. I wish I could find something with this format and style for my younger kids.

ETA: In my perusal of the book, I didn't see anything that seemed to lean towards any particular denomination.

Thanks Julie,

This was just what I needed to know. I think I may use these books for 11TH & 12th grades. They look like they will fit the bill. Thanks again for your input.

Faithe

If you practice christianity what bible curriculum do you recommend for upper grades?

Mostly they just read their Bibles - over and over and over. To that we've added things like:

-Christian bio's (google them)

-a book on hermeneutics

-sermon on CD every day (30 min worth)

-hymns

-a group time where we read and discuss the above. We also discuss anything currently going on in light of Biblical principles. This seems to be where most of the learning about application takes place.

-many Bible study helps (concordances, books about the Bible times, timelines, different versions of the Bible, a good comprehensive book on World Religions, commentaries, etc.) This is where we've spent most of the money for Bible.

-constant discussion - on walks, when traveling, in the car, whenever the opportunity presents itself. I've found that our dc will even come find me when they want to discuss things relating to Biblical principles. And one ds is constantly working out his theories of every subject he studies - all based on the Bible. (I know this because he's always telling us about his "discoveries" ... I call them connections.:))

Which is all to say that curr's are great, but be careful about limiting Bible study to only a curr. (which is a mistake I made and had to correct early on :tongue_smilie:)

HTH

Kathy

Edited by ksva