Menu

Read any good mysteries/suspense/thrillers lately?

I have the next two weeks to fit in some summertime reading, and I'm bound and determined that it's not going to be *anything remotely* edifying!

Help me make a list of what to try next, will 'ya? I'm open to most any mystery.

Thanks,

Julie (a new "treadmill potato", you know, spending lengthy amounts of time just trudging along in pursuit of fitness :D)

My suggestions:

"The Bee-Keeper's Assistant" - this should be the 'official WTM Hive mystery"! (It is a "continuation" of the Sherlock Holmes story.)

"Shark Island" and other mysteries by Joan Druett - a Maori seaman/detective who is part of a US Naval Exploration Fleet.

"Maisie Dobbs" by Jacqeline Winspear - set after WWI in England.

Vineyard mysteries by Philip R. Craig - modern mysteries set on Martha's Vineyard

I second "The Bee Keeper's Apprentice." Actually, I like Laurie King's other books too. (In the interests of full disclosure, I should say that one of her series features a lesbian cop in San Francisco. The romance/sex are not graphic as far as I remember.)

I read "Duma Key" this year. Good suspense by Stephen King.

I like Anne Perry's early books, but they aren't recent. Victorian murder mystery with strong female characters.

I really enjoyed Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

It's about a young woman who meets and marries a wealthy widower, moves into his large home on the Cornish coast of England and finds herself constantly walking in the shadows of the deceased wife.

It was written in the 30's. Very suspenseful and a bit eerie.

I was completely caught up in Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith...I think it was a little edifying, though, because I learned about Stalinist Russia. LOL It's excellent.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

ANY of the stand-alone (not Myron Bolitar series) by Harlan Coben are really good. Quick reads and fun.

The Poet (and next one, The Scarecrow) by Michael Connelly, plus his Harry Bosch series, starting with The Black Echo

In the Woods by Tana French

A good family saga story that has some mystery elements: The Monsters of Templeton by Laura Groff

The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (told by a murderer; Victorian period and just a well-told story!)

More traditional mystery: Aurora Teagarden series by Charlaine Harris; first one is Real Murders AND her Lily Bard series set in the town of Shakespeare; first one is Shakespeare's Landlord. (Both can be pretty humorous!)

These are just some from recent memory. I'm a fan of Ruth Rendell and Karin Fossum for more cerebral, psychological mysteries.

I like alllll kinds of mystery/suspense/thriller novels!

I really enjoyed Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

It's about a young woman who meets and marries a wealthy widower, moves into his large home on the Cornish coast of England and finds herself constantly walking in the shadows of the deceased wife.

It was written in the 30's. Very suspenseful and a bit eerie.

I love Rebecca too! :001_smile:

I like Anne Perry's early books, but they aren't recent. Victorian murder mystery with strong female characters.

I second Anne Perry and also like Elizabeth Peters who wrote under a few other names as well. Her stories are mysteries with a good dose of humor. The Peabody series is also set in Victorian - later Edwardian times and most stories take place in Egypt because her fictional family are archaeologists.

There are Agatha Christie's numerous titles...if you like modern day forensics, pretty descriptive, try Patricia Cornwell.

Edited by Liz CA

http://books.google.com/books?id=65f1fTuxfzQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=out+of+the+dark+I+cry&source=gbs_similarbooks_s&cad=1

Julia Spencer -Fleming authored this wonderful series with a detective who is a former pilot presently Episcopalian priest serving a community filled with the usual suspects...wonderful mystery series. As another suggestion , I also am a fan of the John Dunning mystery series.The sleuth is a rare book seller...of course it is wonderful and you will not be able to put it down.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8UN5HAAACAAJ&dq=John+Dunning&source=an&hl=en&ei=EZ9OSuesO42sMICjxe0D&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10

Do not start these late at night I assure you they will keep you fascinated into the wee hours!!I would suggest warm chocoate cake and milk to go with but that would undermine the entire purpose of finding something to read while using the treadmill. Unfortunately I am one of those people for whom combining the chocolate cake with the treadmill would be perfectly reasonable!!!:lol: Good for you and best wishes with finding the perfect book for you.

I was completely caught up in Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith...I think it was a little edifying, though, because I learned about Stalinist Russia. LOL It's excellent.

Now, now, I said *nothing remotely edifying!* Lol! I'll check it out. :001_smile:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

I haven't read this one. I'll check it out.

ANY of the stand-alone (not Myron Bolitar series) by Harlan Coben are really good. Quick reads and fun.

Oohh, I love Harlan Coben too! Have you read Kill Me by Stephen White?

The Poet (and next one, The Scarecrow) by Michael Connelly, plus his Harry Bosch series, starting with The Black Echo

I've read all of the Bosch books, I think. I'll check out the other ones.

In the Woods by Tana French

Hmm...the title sounds familiar, but I can't remember if I've read it yet or not--I'll check it out.

A good family saga story that has some mystery elements: The Monsters of Templeton by Laura Groff

If this has emotionally difficult family stuff, I just can't do it. Will I, at any time, cry about this?

The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (told by a murderer; Victorian period and just a well-told story!)

I'll look at it. Thanks!

More traditional mystery: Aurora Teagarden series by Charlaine Harris; first one is Real Murders AND her Lily Bard series set in the town of Shakespeare; first one is Shakespeare's Landlord. (Both can be pretty humorous!)

I'll look at these too. I like a bit of humor mixed in with my mysteries. Have you read Janet Evanovich's series? Golly, they can have some objectionable content, but I *laugh so hard* when I read her books. :D

These are just some from recent memory. I'm a fan of Ruth Rendell and Karin Fossum for more cerebral, psychological mysteries.

Somehow Ruth Rendell just doesn't do it for me. I don't think I've looked at Karin Fossum.

I like alllll kinds of mystery/suspense/thriller novels!

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! I'm excited to have a lot of new books to check out.

I second Anne Perry and also like Elizabeth Peters who wrote under a few other names as well. Her stories are mysteries with a good dose of humor. The Peabody series is also set in Victorian - later Edwardian times and most stories take place in Egypt because her fictional family are archaeologists.

There are Agatha Christie's numerous titles...if you like modern day forensics, pretty descriptive, try Patricia Cornwell.

I loved the Amelia Peabody series! It seems like I heard that there's a new one out. Is that possible?

I've read all of Patricia Cornwell too. I've been at the mystery reading for a while!

I've recently read a few mysteries by Alexander McCall Smith. He has written 2 series one takes place in Scotland. Main character is a woman who edits a philosophical journal. Although they are mysteries, the mystery has so far not been a murder, which is unusual.

I've not read any of the other series which takes place in Africa.

I hated The Bee-Keeper's Apprentice. I thought it was so boring. I hardly ever don't finish a book, but I did not finish that one. (Running for cover :D)

I loved A Beautiful Blue Death. I can't remember the author right now, and I can't look it up cause I am at work. It was great!!

I prefer murder-LIGHT. Extra LIGHT. Light, as in, you kinda know who did it in the first scene. LIGHT. Monk, light. Psych, light. Bones, light. LIGHT, LIGHT, LIGHT.

I don't mind humor. In fact, humor is nice.

So, I was pleased with Janet Evanovich's Finger-Lickin' Fifteen came out just in time for summer. Of course, I've read the whole Stephanie Plum series. It's hilarious. Awful. NOT EDIFYING. (Dare I say "twaddle?" I hate that word!)

Anyway, I truly enjoy them. Right along the same lines as the Archie McNally books (another of my favorites--murder LIGHT).

Lori

Guest Virginia Dawn

The Aunt Dimity series is fun. Aunt Dimity is a ghost from the past who helps solve mysteries set in a remote English town.

I absolutely love Father Brown mysteries by Chesterton.

I've been reading medieval mysteries by Margaret Frazer, I think they start with The Nun's Tale and there are many other "Tales."

Ooh, The Dante Club is good, but rather gory.

I've recently been reading the Enola Holmes (as in Sherlock's younger sister) mysteries. I picked one up to preview for my daughter and got hooked myself! They're middle-grade books, so they're quick reads, and they're smart and fun.

Edited by WordGirl