Menu

The End of the World (religious question)

For people who believe the end of the world is coming, due to some sort of tribulation/rapture/Second Coming, when do you think this will happen?

I know there's that scripture along the lines of "no man knows the day or the hour," but if you had to guess, are we in the last year, the last decade, the last century? What?

The scripture says that the good news of the kingdom will be preached to all the nations and then the end will come. It makes perfect sense that God will give everyone an opportunity to learn about him (John 17:3) and to love him (1 John 5:3) before the end of this system. He wants a "large crowd" to walk through the tribulation into the new system he's creating for us when everything will be based on His original will for us. I look forward to that time and hope it is soon; but I am glad that God gives everyone a chance as he wishes no one to perish but all to have everlasting life.

Anyway, I can't guess. But instead, we stay ready, enduring til the end.

I believe we are in the last days. But I think we have been living in the last days since the first coming of Christ. (I mean, the second coming can't happen before the first coming! :)) Many of the first believers thought Christ would return in their lifetime. So it could be tomorrow or in another 2000 years or even 6000 years. I wouldn't even begin to suggest I could narrow it down more than that. :D

Edited by Cricket

I believe we are in the last days. But I think we have been living in the last days since the first coming of Christ. Many of the first believers thought Christ would return in their lifetime. So it could be tomorrow or in another 2000 years or even 6000 years. I wouldn't even begin to suggest I could narrow it down more than that. :D

:iagree: I only know we are heading in the right direction.

The scripture says that the good news of the kingdom will be preached to all the nations and then the end will come. It makes perfect sense that God will give everyone an opportunity to learn about him (John 17:3) and to love him (1 John 5:3) before the end of this system.

I mean no disrespect, I am sometimes too logical for my own good :rolleyes: but there is a child being born every few seconds on earth. Can everyone really be taught about Christianity? Can there be an end without everyone at one given time having been given the opportunity? I am curious how you feel about this? Again, please take no offense at my questions. :)

I believe we are in the last days. But I think we have been living in the last days since the first coming of Christ. (I mean, the second coming can't happen before the first coming! :)) Many of the first believers thought Christ would return in their lifetime. So it could be tomorrow or in another 2000 years or even 6000 years. I wouldn't even begin to suggest I could narrow it down more than that. :D

:iagree:

I don't see how anyone could truly claim to know the exact date and time. Every single person in the past who's claimed to know has been wrong. (well, except my exMIL, who claims the holy spirit told her, then told her not to tell anyone. :001_rolleyes: )

I don't see how anyone could truly claim to know the exact date and time. Every single person in the past who's claimed to know has been wrong. (well, except my exMIL, who claims the holy spirit told her, then told her not to tell anyone. :001_rolleyes: )

Does she know my Uncle? He claimed a date over 20 years ago. Now he keeps the secret to himself. :tongue_smilie:

there is a child being born every few seconds on earth. Can everyone really be taught about Christianity? Can there be an end without everyone at one given time having been given the opportunity? I am curious how you feel about this?

Children are at the mercy of their parents til a certain age (not a numerical age, but when they personally are capable of taking their own spiritual reigns).

Children are at the mercy of their parents til a certain age (not a numerical age, but when they personally are capable of taking their own spiritual reigns).

I do understand that but doesn't it stand to reason that eventually those children will reach that certain age at the same rate of every few seconds. How can it ever end?

Noazart,

God is PERFECT in his GOODNESS, LOVE, WISDOM. It will be RIGHT when he decides to do it.

Pamela,

I am sorry, I truly did not mean to offend. I honestly was curious on how your first quote could happen logistically. That's all. Please don't feel the need to shout back. All is good.

My denomination doesn't spend much time studying the end times. I do believe Christ will come again to judge the quick and the dead (Apostle's Creed).

When I realized how much study and fear was out there about this I asked my Minister at that time. He responded that we would not know when and that is was more important to concentrate on living each day according to God's will.

It doesn't bother when others talk about it or try to predict when it is coming. It does bother me when people promote faith through fear. I am thinking about the signs one of my local churches keeps putting out front:glare:, not anything that anyone here has said.

For people who believe the end of the world is coming, due to some sort of tribulation/rapture/Second Coming, when do you think this will happen?

I know there's that scripture along the lines of "no man knows the day or the hour," but if you had to guess, are we in the last year, the last decade, the last century? What?

I have absolutely no idea. I see certain events that have happened Biblically that would point to the end, but then I still don't know if it's 3 days from now or 300 years from now.

I am not religious but December 21, 2012 sounds like a good contender.

I know a lot of people who are in this camp (and they are all non Christians). People I respect a lot actually really read alot and buy into the whole 2012 thing.

I just leave a big ??? in my mind. I guess we will see...it's not that far off.

Who knows?

I dont feed the negativity, the drama, the conspiracy theories, etc, around it very often. Sometimes I will put my head back into that world, those theories etc. Its fascinating stuff. But sure is distracting from just getting on with your life as best you can.

I do think its a good idea not to be in denial about what a terrible mess the world is in right now though.

I vacillate. Sometimes, it seems like the world can't get any worse, we've reached the pinacle and now it's all down hill from here, but then I read a little history ;)

I just try to be ready, just in case, but I'm not concerned about needing to outrun fire and brimstone just yet :)

I think the Mayan calendar ends in 2012. Other than that, nothing special.

And I guess some people put more worth into an ancient Mayan Calander than they do the Holy Bible...:::shaking head::::

Only God knows when the end of times will be...for God, minutes could be years, and years could be minutes. God is not on our time

And I guess some people put more worth into an ancient Mayan Calander than they do the Holy Bible...:::shaking head::::

Only God knows when the end of times will be...for God, minutes could be years, and years could be minutes. God is not on our time

I sort of threw it out there for a joke. But surely the ancient Mayan's put quite a bit of worth in it.

No, it's no joke, some people actually believe this whole 2012 thing. Google 2012 and you'll come up with tons of wacky websites dedicated to it

With the number of programs they've been running on television the past few months (probably longer, but I've only noticed it since the spring), I'm not surprised. They had me ready to dig a bunker :glare:

With the number of programs they've been running on television the past few months (probably longer, but I've only noticed it since the spring), I'm not surprised. They had me ready to dig a bunker :glare:

Ha! That's funny! I actually worked with some one that plans on being at Machu Picchu on that date. I say more "power to ya", live and let live. :coolgleamA:

What I've learned through studying is that we may know the generation, but obviously not the exact year.

Also, days of Noah. It will be during a time when people are going about their lives in a normal way, not expecting it.

I'm at a point where I'd welcome a rapture :D

As an evangelical christian, I'd have to say that no one knows for certain. BUT we are to assume it could be any time. Imminent. That's what the apostle Paul preached. I also think we can look at world events generally, and see things heading toward the end, certainly, what with the increasingly global mindset and a LOT of other factors, but in the whole scheme of things a hundred years or so....or more even....is no more than a blip in light of eternity, so to try to narrow it down too strictly would be pretty audacious. My job is to live as if Christ could come in the next 5 minutes. Because he could (according to my worldview, you understand).

As an evangelical christian, I'd have to say that no one knows for certain. BUT we are to assume it could be any time. Imminent. That's what the apostle Paul preached. I also think we can look at world events generally, and see things heading toward the end, certainly, what with the increasingly global mindset and a LOT of other factors, but in the whole scheme of things a hundred years or so....or more even....is no more than a blip in light of eternity, so to try to narrow it down too strictly would be pretty audacious. My job is to live as if Christ could come in the next 5 minutes. Because he could (according to my worldview, you understand).

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Boy, lots of great answers! Obviously, I don't know either, but when I get tired of living in this world or when I suffer illness or loss I like to sing this song . . .

Closer to me I'm tired and I'm weak

And every breath within me is longing just to be

Closer to You

So I face the road ahead

'Cause I know there's no comparing

To what's waiting at the end

So let the rain start falling where it will

And I will run through this valley

Just to climb to that hill

And if they ask why I'm smiling

After all I've been through

It's 'cause I'm just a day closer to You

Closer to me I hear You whisper on the wind

You say although my life is fading

A new one will begin

Closer to You

And I know I'm not alone

'Cause I can hear You in the distance

Saying, you are nearly home

And if they ask why I'm dancing

Though my days may be few

It's 'cause I'm just a day closer to You

Closer to me You're in the laughter and the tears

Of the ones I leave behind me

Who have prayed me through the years

Closer to You

When they know it won't be long

Till You're running down the pathway

Just to take me in Your arms

And if they ask why I'm singing

Though my life's almost through

It's 'cause I'm just a day closer

I'm just a day closer

I'm just a day closer to You

Closer to You by Mark Schultz (on Youtube)

Edited by dmmosher

I don't know anything about the end of the world, but I like this poem.

SOME say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I’ve tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To know that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.

Robert Frost

What I've learned through studying is that we may know the generation, but obviously not the exact year.

Also, days of Noah. It will be during a time when people are going about their lives in a normal way, not expecting it.

I'm at a point where I'd welcome a rapture :D

I love my family and life, but man oh man, when the trumpet sounds I'm outta here!

No, it's no joke, some people actually believe this whole 2012 thing. Google 2012 and you'll come up with tons of wacky websites dedicated to it

Some people believed the end would be in 2000. Yet, we are still here in 2009.

The scripture says that the good news of the kingdom will be preached to all the nations and then the end will come.
:iagree:This is at Matthew 24:14. This will be the time for the restoration of his rulership by means of the Kingdom spoken of at Daniel 2:44. That chapter of Matthew goes into other signs of the end, where Jesus gave a composite sign to indicate when the end of the world as we know it would be at hand.—Matthew 9:35; Mark 13:19; Luke 21:7-11; John 12:31. 2 Timothy 3:1-7 also gives signs. Based on current world conditions I think the end will be very soon.

Carmen's post gives lots of scriptures. Also, someone mentioned that the scriptures tell us which generation. I believe that is true. Based on EVERYTHING the scriptures say, we know it'll be "soon." But we still can't narrow it down to a year, much less a month, week, day or hour.

For example, in 70 C.E., the faithful ones had been out of the city FOUR years by that time. Many had given up and gone back into the city. They had a basic idea because they knew the sign to leave the city, but they hadn't expected it to take 4 years. Well, it did. And many were caught off guard even when warned. It is similar at this time. We were given the information of the generation. We were given th scriptures to identify this time period. But some people have let down their guard with ideas like "yeah, well my mom and grandma pointed those things out and it still hasn't happened." It took many years in Noah's time also, but it DID happen! Each time, when it happens, it happens swiftly. We are to "keep on the watch."

I actually worked with some one that plans on being at Machu Picchu on that date.

Why Machu Pichu? That's like saying, "Well, the Romans predicted the end of the world in 2012 so I'll be sure to be in Moscow on that date."

Guest Virginia Dawn

All over western Europe people gathered on mountain tops December 31, 999. I wonder what the reaction was when nothing happened.

I don't know if we are close to the end or not, of course. I guess I just rest in the truth that God is good, and that he loves all of us and wants everyone to come to him. What happens at the end is not something to fret about. I know where I'm going and who I belong to, and those in my life I feel have rejected God still have this moment to come to him--I can't control that, as much as I'd like to snap my fingers and make them love God.

Sometimes I look at a glorious sunset, and imagine Christ coming on those gilt-edged clouds (I believe it will be from the East, not the West, tho! lol)--what an appropriate chariot.

I feel it will be so great when people finally acknowledge him. (And this is not to offend, just my own belief.)

Guest Virginia Dawn
:iagree:This is at Matthew 24:14. This will be the time for the restoration of his rulership by means of the Kingdom spoken of at Daniel 2:44. That chapter of Matthew goes into other signs of the end, where Jesus gave a composite sign to indicate when the end of the world as we know it would be at hand.—Matthew 9:35; Mark 13:19; Luke 21:7-11; John 12:31. 2 Timothy 3:1-7 also gives signs. Based on current world conditions I think the end will be very soon.

Those scriptures are a mixed bag. John 12:31 is not a prophecy of mankind's remote future. 33 clearly says he is talking about his own death. The passage says "now." Matthew 24 and 25 are full of figurative language that tells *what it will be like* when the Lord returns. The overall message is the same: be prepared for the end by doing what is right. I'm not so sure that the message is in the details but rather in the big picture.

Matthew 10:35 and Luke 21: 7-11, 2Timothy 3:1-7 could have been at any time in the history of the world since Christ ascended. Every generation has said "these are the end times." And really, that is true. All times are now the end times, but who knows how long the end times will last.

I Peter 3:8-12 says: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord is not slow concerning his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentence. But the Day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar, the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. Since everything in it will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.

I tend to think that we will bring our own destruction upon ourselves with a nuclear holocaust. If that is so, I hope I die before that day. It could be in 4 years, it could be in 500. I don't see any signs that today is any different than past ages, except our ever increasing ability to destroy ourselves.

JMO :)

Why Machu Pichu? That's like saying, "Well, the Romans predicted the end of the world in 2012 so I'll be sure to be in Moscow on that date."

I think that has more to do with the Crystal Skull theory. I believe that Machu Pichu is supposed to be where they originated and once all the skulls are put into their proper places they either surround it or it's the center of the power they're supposed to eminate. (insert spooky music)

All over western Europe people gathered on mountain tops December 31, 999. I wonder what the reaction was when nothing happened.

Probably a lot like the reaction at my company* on Y2K. "It's the end of the world! Grab your guns and barrels of wheat and head for the hills! Look, it's midnight!!!! Its....oh, uhm, never mind."

*It was a software company, so you'd really think they've have known better.