Menu

Am I in over my head? (also, does anyone strictly follow WTM?)

springmama

My 6 year old dd is starting 1st grade. We are doing everything according to WTM. I have my daily lesson plans made up including narration, read alouds, memory work, copywork, etc. I am basically including everything that is recommended in WTM, exactly the way it is recommended.

With that said, we will be starting off slowly. For the first few weeks, starting on July 7, We'll be doing only basic math and some reading practice every day. I will add in Bible lessons, memory work, copywork, grammar, writing, etc. We'll add a little at a time until our first true week of school when we add science. At that point, we will have worked up to exactly what is recommended in WTM for first graders.

I feel like I need to do it this way because I'm not educated myself and I feel like in order for my child to be completely educated, I can't leave anything out.

However, it appears to me that not very many people do follow WTM strictly, so I'm looking for others who do. Am I the only one planning to follow it as written? Do you all think I'm crazy and that I won't be able to keep up?

I started out planning on using WTM as written, but I just got too anxious about missing something or not doing it right. And then the new edition came out with new recommendations...:001_huh:

Now I am using My Father's World as my core, and adding the recommendations from WTM to it as needed. MFW is a wonderful blend of classical and CM, so I don't feel quite so anxious. It gives me the support that I need, plus the flexibility to add to or take away where I need to. As you can see from my sig, I am doing lots of WTM recommendations the WTM way, so I say, yes, you can do it! You just have to get your feet wet, and realize that part of homeschooling is you learning, too. I think your plan of easing into it is great!

BTW, what part of AL are you in (if you don't mind me asking)? B'ham area here.

I think that it is wonderful that you are doing this. I started my dd this way and we are now in 3rd. I have done some adapting and you may find that you may have to too later. One of my biggest changes was in following the Science module because I could not find a secular curriculum that I was comfortable with in the right sequence for 3rd. I loved R.E.A.L from Pandia Press but the 3rd grade wasn't ready in time for us. I was pretty bummed. I think that it is not only attainable to accomplish this but you are well on your way. :thumbup:

Not many people follow the WTM to the letter as it can make for an overwhelming day. Even SWB doesn't suggest you do it ALL exactly as written.

You can make sure you get to everything outlined in the WTM and NOT burn out by mixing up your days. Do copy work on one day and grammar on the other. Same thing with history and science, or you could make Fridays a special science day. Keep the narrations oral and have them be a fun part of history or science, maybe even once a week. Maybe the current WTM suggests all this already -- I have big kids now and lent out my 1st edition WTM so can't remember what those early schedules looked like!

You will be fine. 1st grade is reading and some writing skills, basic math, everything else is gravy. Have fun with history and science. Keep lessons short. If your child has a melt down, close the books, make some cookies, then read aloud all afternoon long. And trust yourself that you will learn together in spite of bad days and colds and flus and life getting in the way.

And if you miss something this year, there are 11 more years before graduation -- you'll get to most things but never even touch on some. The best part of homeschooling is that your kids are going to learn HOW to learn and they will know what gaps they have and how to fill them.

So, basically, this is a rah rah speech to encourage you to follow your heart, and to cut yourself some slack if and when things don't work out as you envision!

Adding things on a little at a time is a GREAT idea.

Yes, I strive to follow the WTM fairly closely, but at the same time not overloading the child, especially for written work. Your dd's copywork IS her writing, and hopefully memory work and grammar are oral at this point. If a day needs to flex, history and science are the place to do it with young ones. In our house, even today, history and science are sort of the "reward" for being diligent with skill subjects.

There have been some people who veered away from WTM for more structured curricula (especially history unit studies) but who have come full circle back to the simplicity of her recommendations. They may not seem simple now, but they are actually quite efficient and pack quite an educational punch.

I've started tutoring English for three (bright and delightful) public school boys who are 7th grade and above, and I'm amazed at what they have NOT gotten in school that comes effortlessly to my children. I don't attribute that effortlessness to their genius or mine, but Susan's wise recommendations of what things are really worthwhile to spend time on in the early years. And I'm further realizing that I know well how to help these young men based on what I have learned from WTM much more than from my official qualifications (English Ed. major, 15 years writing/editing experience, etc.).

Thanks so much for the replies :) I believe that the book recommends not doing everything every day. Grammar, spelling, and writing will only be 2-3 times a week each. History and Science alternating days and Fridays will be our library/fun day out. I don't think it looks like much when it's all broken down for a first grader.

We have been following TWTM very closely for a few years now. I alternate days and it has worked great. I could see a big difference between my two sons early on...one started out in private school and the younger with WTM home school. The kids have loved it and have learned so much. Plus they truly love History. The only big difference, I have added AO for read aloud (for fun) because I just love the suggestions and animal stories. hopeit works out for you.

Danielle

You'll have to see how it goes, but I think it's an excellent idea to start off slowly and then add to what you are doing. That's what I do and it works very well for me. If you add things in their order of importance, then you can just stop adding if you get to a point where you feel like the day is getting too long for your child. I have often had to reevaluate and either streamline or drop things because school was taking more time than I felt it should.

Lisa

I feel like I need to do it this way because I'm not educated myself and I feel like in order for my child to be completely educated, I can't leave anything out.

No child can be completely educated, there's no such thing. Stuff always gets left out and all children have huge gaps that were never addressed in their education.

You're not educated? Do you really mean you didn't go far with formal education? Me too. Never went beyond high school. But that means diddly-squat in terms of my real education. It hasn't stopped me from learning and it should be the source of any insecurities for you.

Go ahead with what you're doing but I'd recommend that at the same you read about unschooling for yourself. Decide to become a lifelong learner and follow some interests. Read John Holt to open up your ideas of what an education is.

None of this is to draw you away from TWTM. It's just that if you know you're motivation is coming from your own feelings (something I bet is very common but you're ahead of the game by recognizing it) then maybe it's time to get those feelings out of the way by addressing them.

My 6 year old dd is starting 1st grade. We are doing everything according to WTM. I have my daily lesson plans made up including narration, read alouds, memory work, copywork, etc. I am basically including everything that is recommended in WTM, exactly the way it is recommended.

With that said, we will be starting off slowly. For the first few weeks, starting on July 7, We'll be doing only basic math and some reading practice every day. I will add in Bible lessons, memory work, copywork, grammar, writing, etc. We'll add a little at a time until our first true week of school when we add science. At that point, we will have worked up to exactly what is recommended in WTM for first graders.

However, it appears to me that not very many people do follow WTM strictly, so I'm looking for others who do. Am I the only one planning to follow it as written? Do you all think I'm crazy and that I won't be able to keep up?

I started my oldest off in 1st grade pretty much the same way you described, for the same reasons. I kept it up for a few years, too. I don't think you are crazy. For me, I needed to have it all structured out like that, until I got more comfortable in this whole classical home education process (I'm only recently feeling a little more comfortable), then I could start tweaking and figuring out how to keep things like the essence of WTM-style art/music without using the exact WTM plan for that. I do still try to keep as much possible from WTM in our school (heavily tweaked), because I LOVE the ideas of learning systematically! Hey, I've even bought many of the recommended spine books way ahead of time, so I could see what the possibilities were down the road - it's fun!

You'll do fine - you've got your child's best interests at heart and you'll get it figured out.

One of the huge advantages of homeschooling is that you get to customize it. And as your confidece grows you'll be able to make things work even better than SWB, who has never even met your children, could plan.

While TWTM might work just fine for your oldest there is a chance it won't work for all of your kids, or you might find some of the rec's don't work for you.

While I think we follow the framework pretty closely, I really enjoy researching curriculums and picking the one that really works for us, no matter if it is in TWTM or not.

Your plan is great! Just remember a couple of things:

*TWTM is a comprehensive plan. You do not have to follow it strictly to gain great benefit. Not even SWB follows it strictly.

*Please make sure, as your child gets older, that you pay attention to the parts where Susan says things like, the goal is NOT to finish the history book. Find and focus on the important goals, and feel no guilt over letting other things slide or drop, as needed. A stressed-out child and mother are not going to learn and teach well, at all.

*The important goal in the grammar stage is simply to lay an excellent foundation for math and language. Notebooks are not important. Finishing a book is not important. How much history you get through is not important. Math, reading, writing, and elementary grammar *are* important. As the kids get older, more things become important as you build on that foundation: a good sense of history, the ability to read and understand good literature, logic, critical thinking skills. And finally, excellent reasoning and self-expression, and the ability to learn for oneself.

Keep the philosophy and the important things in the front of your mind always, and use it as a guide to help you to not become hung up on the parts that don't matter (as so many of us do).

I second the recommendation to read some Holt, as well any other books on education and homeschooling as you can, to develop your own sense of what education is and should be.

You're going to do just fine :)

This was really well stated. I think it's easy to get sidetracked by the curricular recommendations or discussions of "stages" as they relate to ages/grades and miss the big picture. WTM is about the tools of learning and how those are learned and in what progression. The authors recommend some excellent resources through which one can teach a child to master those tools, but there are other programs out there that do an equally good job.

Your plan is great! Just remember a couple of things:

*TWTM is a comprehensive plan. You do not have to follow it strictly to gain great benefit. Not even SWB follows it strictly.

*Please make sure, as your child gets older, that you pay attention to the parts where Susan says things like, the goal is NOT to finish the history book. Find and focus on the important goals, and feel no guilt over letting other things slide or drop, as needed. A stressed-out child and mother are not going to learn and teach well, at all.

*The important goal in the grammar stage is simply to lay an excellent foundation for math and language. Notebooks are not important. Finishing a book is not important. How much history you get through is not important. Math, reading, writing, and elementary grammar *are* important. As the kids get older, more things become important as you build on that foundation: a good sense of history, the ability to read and understand good literature, logic, critical thinking skills. And finally, excellent reasoning and self-expression, and the ability to learn for oneself.

Keep the philosophy and the important things in the front of your mind always, and use it as a guide to help you to not become hung up on the parts that don't matter (as so many of us do).

I second the recommendation to read some Holt, as well any other books on education and homeschooling as you can, to develop your own sense of what education is and should be.

You're going to do just fine :)

I have to reiterate what Dawn said about not having the confidence to attempt this.

I have many, many years of post-secondary education, including 5 years grad school and 3 years law school, and the biggest eye opener of classically homeschooling has been to demonstrate to me how little I know. I am learning so much alongside my children, in addition to just learning how to teach them classically. Very little in my formal education has prepared me for this journey. And it's been a wild, difficult, rewarding one.

You are just as qualified to do this as anyone here. And if you come here often you will learn so much to help you educate your children that soon you will be a pro. You're already so far ahead of where I was when I started homeschooling.

Laura

I think it makes sense to start that way. You'll probably find as you go along that you want to modify some things (or maybe even many things). As you gain confidence you'll find that this gets easier and easier.