Menu

Habitat for Humanity--have you helped build?

I was looking on the website for HFH and couldn't really find out if my teens can help or if they need to do this service as part of a group. I know I should call our local chapter or whatever it's called, but I'd love to hear personal experiences about how you got involved in volunteering. Did anyone just sign up as a family (or individual?)to do a local house and how did that work? Any tips?

Our church did it with another church and rehab group. The other church provided the money and with the rehab, we provided the labor.

If I remember correctly you had to be either 14 or 16 to work on site. I think 16, but could be wrong. But they are pretty strict about that for liablity issue.

It was a great experience. I personally didn't get to do as much hammering as I would have liked, but I was busy coordinating stuff (like lunch!) and things.

You can go as individuals or family groups, but it may be more fun as a group, and talk to HFH coordinator and find out if other groups are there, or if is more random families/individuals. You'll have more fun being in a group that is all strangers to each other, than you being the only stranger in the group and everyone else knowing each other.

It's a great experience, and meeting the homeowners is great too. It was something that I really enjoyed!

Oh and the best days to go are framing days, drywall days and roofing day, because those are the most hammer intense days, and those seemed to be the ones everyone liked the most.

Have a great time!

The company I work for is one of their big sponsors, and I went with a team of colleagues on a week day. They were working on several houses, all of which were at the same stage of construction. They asked us about our skills, passed out safety equipment, and instructed us in one type of work--exterior panelling that day. Then we did that kind of work, on several houses, all day. It was easy because they were so systematic about their instruction, and we didn't have to keep asking for more things to do. Later I saw the dedication of those two houses--5 families made speeches about what the house and the work on it meant to them. I can't remember very many times when I was so moved in my life.

I think that they accept volunteers as young as age 14 to work on site, and kids younger than that are encouraged to do offsite tasks, like bake cookies or make sandwiches for workers, or build birdhouses, or paint and plant big flowerpots as gifts. Those are not organized tasks, though; they are 'on your own' volunteer work. When DD was 7 and 8, we make cookies and brought them over to the work sites whenever we knew someone who was working there, and passed them out to everyone, not just those we knew.

I was looking on the website for HFH and couldn't really find out if my teens can help or if they need to do this service as part of a group. I know I should call our local chapter or whatever it's called, but I'd love to hear personal experiences about how you got involved in volunteering. Did anyone just sign up as a family (or individual?)to do a local house and how did that work? Any tips?

I know someone who fundraised for and then delivered food and cold drinks. She was greeted very warmly!

My dh worked for Habitat as an employee for a while. It was a great experience. I would talk to your local chapter. Depending on where they are within the build phase may depend on what ages are allowed on site. At certain phases the building is really a dangerous place for children to be near.

My oldest didn't work building houses, but he did do community service at our local ReStore - which is a Habitat for Humanity Store. He went out with others and picked up building supplies, furniture, paint, other things that stores, companies and individuals donated, and the money went to Habitat for Humanity. He really enjoyed it while he was there.

Wast this the website that you went to?

http://www.habitat.org/cd/local/

I put in my zip code and several things came up.

I've been on several builds as my dh's employer is a huge part of Habitat. I have no idea how many builds they sponser a year, but I know it is a ton. :001_smile: There have been some teens on a few of the builds and we look forward to the days our boys can finally join us.

I've had some really great overseers that have taught me quite a bit of the process. On a couple of the builds, I was the only girl and they all treated me so respectfully. I even learned how to use a nail gun and put in trim work. (then I went home and did our own trim work...very empowering!) Although my overseer did take off part of it to redo because I didn't have it up to his level for it. We took great pride in our work and wanted it to be of good quality.