Menu

Dear Hive, may I access your collective wisdom for some book recommendations??

I am looking for a fiction book for a tween girl (but doens't have to be geared specifically to girls) that would show a transformation in the protagonist's life after realizing how their actions affect the people around them. Ay, I hope that's not too general of a description, but I would like something along the lines of.... child acts badly, sees the impact that their actions has on those around them and then has a change of heart after their eyes have been opened to the error of their ways... You all are so well read here that I figured you must have some good rec's for me?? I cannot seem to think of anything other than The Whipping Boy, which to be honest, my daughter would probably love the idea of having one. hehehe So what do you all think? Nothing too graphic or violent please. Thank you so much to all who reply. Your wisdom is greatly appreciated. :)

"The Diamond in the Window" would fit the bill pretty well. It's not as straightforward as your description, but it has good elements along those lines.

"Little Women" is just full of that sort of thing, and very well-written as well. It presents moral striving as normal, in a way that I find very engaging and not preachy.

One of the Betsy-Tacy books set during Betsy's high school years has something along this line. The one from her junior year perhaps?

Only good if your tween can handle romance. (Very tame in terms of anything physical--it's set before WWI and written years ago--but the idea of boys and boyfriends is prevalent.) It wouldn't work for my 9yo, but might for others that age.

Thanks for the rec's so far. Keep them coming please. Melinda, I don't know how she will take to the boyfriend thing. She's pretty tomboyish and would probably find it "gross" hehehehehe :) How many books are there in the Betsy-Tacy series??

Thanks for the rec's so far. Keep them coming please. Melinda, I don't know how she will take to the boyfriend thing. She's pretty tomboyish and would probably find it "gross" hehehehehe :) How many books are there in the Betsy-Tacy series??

I'm not exactly sure. There are three or four that deal with Betsy and Tacy (and sometimes Tib) in their younger years. There is one book each for the four years of high school and two or three (?) post high school.

My daughter has only read the first three, and I'm going by memory on the rest, so I could be wildly off.