Menu

s/o schoolrooms- how many HAVE a schoolroom?

Right now I'm only teaching Kinder. We anticipate PCSing (moving) next summer, and I'll need to think of the whole schoolroom thing for our next home.

How many of you actually HAVE a schoolroom? How many have made it all the way without a schoolroom; or how far have you made it without a schoolroom before deciding it was absolutely necessary? I'm sure it isn't easy to go without a schoolroom, but do you have any suggestions to make life easier if A schoolroom isn't possible right now?

EDIT:

I just got a Hanna Andersson e-mail advertising uniforms, so I'll take this one on too: does anyone have a uniform for their kids? I know this is probably an unusual question, but the very first homeschooler I knew (in 1983 in Washington State!) had her children wear uniforms...they LOVED it!

Thanks!

Edited by BikeBookBread
additional question

Right now I'm only teaching Kinder. We anticipate PCSing (moving) next summer, and I'll need to think of the whole schoolroom thing for our next home.

How many of you actually HAVE a schoolroom? How many have made it all the way without a schoolroom; or how far have you made it without a schoolroom before deciding it was absolutely necessary? I'm sure it isn't easy to go without a schoolroom, but do you have any suggestions to make life easier if A schoolroom isn't possible right now?

EDIT:

I just got a Hanna Andersson e-mail advertising uniforms, so I'll take this one on too: does anyone have a uniform for their kids? I know this is probably an unusual question, but the very first homeschooler I knew (in 1983 in Washington State!) had her children wear uniforms...they LOVED it!

Thanks!

A schoolroom has been a blessing here. If you have the opportunity to do so you'll at least have a room to keep your supplies even if you end up schooling at the dining room table or in the kitchen.

I did buy the kids uniforms last fall. :001_smile: Mostly it's polos and khakis. The quality and price was right. AND it gave my kids the chance to get dressed nicely each day. It's part of our morning routine to be dressed before breakfast. I enforce the uniform wearing. If they did it was great. Mostly they chose to because it made them feel good.

In our former home dh built an L-shaped built in desk for us to do school. It was in a back sunroom and was great for the lower elementary grades we did.

Now our entire dining room is our schoolroom. Technically the dining room table is still in there but we use it as a desk not for eating.

I think I'd be comfortable with only a few bookcases and using a table and then clearing off the table at the end of the day, but I love having the whole room set aside for schooling. But it is a definite bonus, not a necessity.

we don't do uniforms. My ds wore them for prek and K in private school. Now he usually wears shorts to school only. He has several pairs of the same kind of shorts, I jokingly call those his uniform.

We've been using our dining room (we do not have an eat-in kitchen, so our dining room is where we eat too). We do a lot of cooking/crafts/video clips for school, and we do most of our reading in the living room on the couch. We could turn their playroom or part of our finished basement into a dedicated school room, but I think it would be too much of a pain in the butt. Our house is open-concept, so our dining room is right between the kitchen and living room, meaning that all the rooms we regularly use are right here.

It DOES get messy and difficult to organize though! We have shelves of school books and supplies which does not make my dining room look very neat. We are actually going to order cabinets tomorrow which match our kitchen cabinets and install them along one wall in the dining room. We will be able to put all of our nice dishes and crystal in the upper (glass) cabinets, and get rid of THAT monstrosity (I truly hate that hutch!) and all of our homeschooling stuff will fit into the lower cabinets and drawers. We'll also have a counter top if we need to add some sort of paper organizer or supply organizer. All of their schooling stuff will be hidden (other than the workboxes) so the dining room will look less cluttered, and more stream-lined. It's going to cost a lot of $$$$$, but it will also add equity to our house. I only wish DH had this epiphany 2 years ago when we was redoing the kitchen. It would have been easier to do it all at once. Oh well! It will be beautiful once it's done :)

We had a schoolroom at our last house. We all LOVED that room. The kids spent most of their time in there even when we weren't doing school. That was where we kept the kids' computers, all of the books, the arts & crafts supplies, games, puzzles, etc. It was a big room with a huge walk-in closet and even a balcony so they could go out there to work if they wanted to. We had one whole wall lined with bookshelves and they were all filled with books. I wish I had pictures. It was awesome!

Unfortunately, for several reasons, we had to move and now we don't have much space at all. That's why I've had to sell so many books :(

You don't have to have a schoolroom to homeschool, but it sure is nice to have one!

Last year was my first year with a school room.

Pros: Everything organized in one place

No distractions

Lots of posters/visuals

No need to clean up table to eat (we used to do school on kitchen table)

I can "get away" from school and feel like just a mom in my house/kitchen area (I hated staring at that white board and textbooks when I was finished with school for the day)

Cons: There are spiders in our basement/classroom

It would be nice to feel like I was at home - not in a classroom

It was easier to keep track of the little ones upstairs

I miss the windows

If you don't have a classroom, I would definitely recommend buying a large cabinet or something so you can put "school" away each day.

We have a hybrid dining room/schoolroom. It works well for us. There's a tall bookshelf that I have all the kids' books on (organized by subject and grade) and a cabinet with art supplies and board games. The dining room table is where we do our work.

No schoolroom here. We have a basement room that could be a schoolroom, but after some thought I nixed the idea and made it a play room instead. We like doing schoolwork on the dining room table. It's light and bright, and forces us to clean up completely before dinner. :)

cat

We did K in our eat in kitchen for a year and it got tighter and tighter as we found more great things to put on the shelf for use and when we moved I wanted a dedicated room for it. I am so glad to have the space now. I can plan better, organize better and leave it all out if I want and not have to pick up before dinner ;-)

Uniforms intrigue me. I only have two. They play hard outside every day so they would have to change to go play, lol. I could see it for field trips. But then I think WHY just for field trips? So it doesn't really do anything for me and we don't have them. But I love the cute girl uniforms !!! And my dd would too!!! My son on the other hand...I try to not get involved in clothes arguments with him.....

EDIT:

Thanks!

We have a school/computer room. We have our bookcases my computer/desk, the kid's computers, the dog crate around the outside of the room and our school table is in the middle.

When we started we didn't have this and was out in the main living area. It was much more difficult as my ds was easily distracted. He is much better now and I have toyed with the idea of moving my sewing to the school table and doing our table work at the kitchen counter or dinning room table but after pondering it always decide against it.

The only uniform my two have is they are required to have clothes on. :lol:

I'm sure it isn't easy to go without a schoolroom, but do you have any suggestions to make life easier if A schoolroom isn't possible right now?

We have homeschooled 'forever' (girls will be 8th and 6th grades this fall) and have never felt it a burden to go without a school room.

We do our lessons around the large dining table, which is the centerpiece of our family room. The fireplace there is flanked with floor to ceiling bookshelves. Large bookshelf units can also be found in our entryway, living room, master bedroom, smaller units in the girls' rooms and upstairs hall. All our books/supplies have a place.

Occasionally I'll put up maps/posters, but for the most part that sort of things is very distracting to me.

Perhaps I do not know what we are missing since we do not have a dedicated space. But at this point in our journey, I enjoy using our whole home as a learning environment. Even the hammock in the back yard. :)

No schoolroom here. We use the kitchen, for lack of another option. I have an old, falling apart entertainment unit made of what SpecialMama calls, "Beaver puke" aka particle board that currently holds most of our hsing material. I desperately need to replace it with something that works better and isn't going to fall apart.

When drooling and dreaming over mls listings, I am constantly drawn to big glassed in porches. My ultimate would be floor to ceiling windows, a room running the width of the house. Hardwood floors for easy clean up, one end would have an island with a sink and gas hook up for science, plus a bathroom, and all the art supplies, easels, etc. The other end would be area rugs, squashy bean bag chairs, comfy couch, and bookshelves stuffed with books, plus tables and chairs of assorted heights for work.

Ah, to dream. Just a winning lotto ticket away :D

It is where we keep our books. We walk into the room get what we need and bring it back out to the living room (occasionally the bedroom).

When she was in elementary school we had a school room and she always did her work in there. She also wore jumpers and peter pan collared shirts back then.

Right now she is sitting on the couch reading about Naval Architecture in the encyclopedia wearing shorts and a Denver Broncos t'shirt. :D

We've never had a schoolroom. We've lived in houses where we had the extra rooms, but I always used them as playrooms. Put all the toys in them. Bedrooms were for sleeping and naps, only. In one house, I was even able to give ds's their own playroom and dd's their own playroom. That worked really well.

When dc were young, we used the kitchen table for school. That worked well. I could check up on everyone right then. We could do group things. And the rule was that they put away everything they got out before they left the table.

As they got older, however, they each acquired their own tables (vs desks) for school. Currently, we have tables all over the house and shelves all over the house for the books. The books are filed by topic - math, history, science, etc. - and each dc has their personal books on shelves near his/her own table.

We do have an extra room now. Oldest dd is using it as her own personal schoolroom. We also keep our classical CD's and art supplies in it. Youngest dd uses a room in the camper for her personal study. She also has a table in the house where she works. And she also takes books out into the woods and flops down on the ground to read (and draw bugs. She loves to describe the monstrous spiders she sees out there. How she "heard the leaves rustling" and out came a huge spider. :scared: She knows I hate spiders.:glare:)

Anyway, they seemed to want/need more private space for doing schoolwork as they got into their teens. I guess it's kinda hard to sit and think and write with a bunch of other people around you. Especially if any of them are talkers. We still assemble at the table for group things (Bible, certain math things, etc.); but the bulk of their schoolwork is done privately at their own spots throughout the house (and yard? :)).

As far as uniforms, it never even crossed my mind. I used to buy a lot of their clothes at yard sales and thrift stores, so uniforms would have been more expensive for us, probably. They just wore whatever I could find for them to wear.

When she was in elementary school we had a school room and she always did her work in there. She also wore jumpers and peter pan collared shirts back then.

Right now she is sitting on the couch reading about Naval Architecture in the encyclopedia wearing shorts and a Denver Broncos t'shirt. :D

This made me smile :) Thanks!

We use our bonus room for our "learning room." I always desired to have a room where one could not help but learn something once you stepped into it. Thankfully, that is exactly what we have. And, this is the one room in the house where TV is banned. If it were me, it would be the whole house but that's another issue.

We keep our books, posters, time lines, etc. in that one room. Before, when we didn't have a designated room, we spent too much time looking for things. Now, they are all returned to the learning room.

We have a large round table in the middle and each dc has an individual desk. They keep their supplies and books in their own desk, whether they work at the desk or not. I find it much easier to fight destractions and to keep things organized. Some of my ds's are not very organized so I at least have everything we need in one room. For me, that is a sanity maintainer.

We have never done uniforms, unless you count pj's. I let my dc's wear what they find most comfortable.

I have a school room that I absolutely adore. I am not sure how I could make it without having the space to organize and plan in my own little school sanctuary. :)

My older son needs the structure - and so does my younger right now. Though I am not opposed to the kids doing work elsewhere in the house, I feel very blessed and happy to have my school room. :)

Our house is a library and school room! The dc are now teens and use their rooms more. They have desks but often use their beds. Most of our schooling through the years has been at the kitchen able. We move stuff on and off for school, meals, games. It works for us. :)

We don't have a schoolroom as much as a library. We have 30+ feet of bookcases that store games, books, art supplies and a ton of other stuff. Dd10 has a desk in there and it was designed to be a schoolroom but since ds14 likes to be in his room, and I don't let dd2 in there (art supplies=chemicals) just yet, it isn't used as a teaching room.

We don't have a schoolroom as much as a library. We have 30+ feet of bookcases that store games, books, art supplies and a ton of other stuff. Dd10 has a desk in there and it was designed to be a schoolroom but since ds14 likes to be in his room, and I don't let dd2 in there (art supplies=chemicals) just yet, it isn't used as a teaching room.

Our schoolroom ended up as a library. . .it's in the basement and the furnace doesn't have a vent in that room, so in the winters it was cold and we didn't like it down there. So we moved our school area to the dining room table (we eat at the counter) and turned the schoolroom into a dedicated library (with the exception of a chest freezer in there). I like being upstairs and being able to do things in the kitchen while the kids are working on their assignments and they prefer it that way, too.

No schoolroom here and no place to have one, either, unless I somehow convert the tornado shelter ;) I do have desks that I found on Craigslist that we'll probably use for any bookwork, but reading and crafts will be done where we've always done them - absolutely anywhere that's suitable. I imagine as I go along and collect more books and paraphernalia that I'll wish for an actual room, but we'll make do with what we have. No sense crying over spilled milk!

We have a schoolroom and love it! It has all of our books, 2 desks and the computer. The walls are covered with maps (which I forgot to take down for his first 2 geography test :001_smile:) Our official uniform consist of Hoodies and PJ bottoms but I have been known to let him wear a t-shirt if the weather is warm.

EDIT:

Thanks!

This may depend on what you're doing and using. We've had friends with dedicated rooms full of maps and desks and bookshelves. We've had friends with a large basket of books next to the kitchen table. Your dc are young enough that you don't need to do a whole room unless you really want to. Folks often post photos here or on their blogs with room ideas.

We've done it both ways. The only thing about using the living space (kitchen or dining room) is that you have to be pretty disciplined about clearing it all up.

We've enjoyed having a schoolroom here. Our previous house was small and we did school at the kitchen table and there were a lot of distractions for my ds and myself. It's much easier to focus on schoolwork instead of housework when we're in our dedicated school room.

And it's also great having everything so organized and in one place. Another benefit is being able to close the doors to the schoolroom when we're in the middle of a messy project.

Uniforms aren't for us.

We adopted a school room about 2 years in. I like having a place for all of the school books, manipulatives, etc. and a door that can be closed for when I need quiet to work with one child. :) The room is the only bedroom on the main floor, so it works out well as the other kids can be playing in the family room.

I have been homeschooling for 12 years and do not have a school room. We typically use the dining room table but school takes place all over the house - the family room couch (can do lessons while folding laundry, the living room couch, the bedrooms, etc. We store much of the school materials in the living room/dining room. We have baskets on bookshelves and we have some bookshelves with cabinets. Our dining room also gets used as a dining room whenever we have anyone over - at least 2 - 3 times a month.

ETA: Uniforms. I love the idea of uniforms for a brick and mortar school. I wore a uniform and loved never having to decide what to wear. Although it was fashionable to complain, I secretly dreaded going to public high school where I would have to make clothing choices on a daily basis. Never considered uniforms for homeschool. Although I love the Lands' End Uniform Catalog - I was eyeing those plaid skirts. My boys would never go for it. If were to have done it, I would have to have started from the beginning.

There is something to be said for being "dressed" to work. I remember having a different mindset when I dressed for work.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
added info on uniforms

I have a schoolroom, but I don't think it's essential and I didn't really plan it that way. I have a "studio" that was meant to be a photography studio or MIL apartment. When we moved in the toys went there "temporarily" (yeah, right) and so it naturally morphed into having a desk...then a bulletin board...then another desk...then bookcases...you get the picture. I am really happy to have that room so all that stuff doesn't need to be visible to me the rest of the time.

Although I love the Lands' End Uniform Catalog - I was eyeing those plaid skirts. My boys would never go for it. If were to have done it, I would have to have started from the beginning.

I had to look to see if you had a girl ... otherwise I was going to say that I could see why your boys might not want to wear plaid skirts. :D

We have a school room and we LOVE it. I love that we can be in the middle of a project when we need to stop and not have to totally clean everything up - we can just close the door.

My husband added the schoolroom on two years ago and I don't know how we made it before! There is a huge built-in for the children - it has an "office" like feel to it for each of them. Then huge bookcases above. We have everything for school in there.

I know it's not a necessity, but it sure feels like one now! My sister and her husband are about to build a house and I've told her one of my requirements would be a schoolroom! They only have their baby (9 months) right now, but they will homeschool - we are second generation homeschoolers.

Our front living room is sort of a school room. It holds the big cubbies with all the school stuff, DD's books, and educational toys. DD's play kitchen is also in here, along with a sectional couch (cozy place to read together), easel, DD's small table and chairs, the family altar, my desk, and my sewing/craft table. Basically, its DD's and my shared space.

I'm going to be putting a timeline and more maps on the walls in here, so it is going to look even more like a school room. I'm in the middle of major reorganization, so right now it mostly looks like a big mess.

I'm in the "not necessary" camp. A few bookshelves and a large cabinet will hold most of the things needed to homeschool, ime. We had a school room for a few years, but found that we rarely actually did school there... we always ended up back at the kitchen table, on the couch, or the kids would take some of their own work back to their bedrooms when they got older. If you have an extra room that you don't need for any other purpose, there are some nice things about having a room designated for school, but I don't think it's a must. In our case, I must prefer having a dining room to a school room.

It isn't a very large room, so it was a tight squeeze when I had both dc in there. ER likes peace & quiet when he is working, but EK likes to sing & has a tendency to "think out loud". We moved ER to the room across the hall (the den) to do his work. Last year, ER went off to college, and EK & I just had our lessons wherever we wanted to -- sometimes at the kitchen table, sometimes in the sunroom, sometimes in the den, sometimes in the living room. But I don't think we did any work in the schoolroom at all last year. I plan to do some rearranging in there over the summer, and I hope we'll work in there a lot more next school year.

I do!

For those that wonder why...

When we're done, we're done.

We CAN move around if we want

Bulletin boards! Chalkboards! Magnetic Boards!

NO interruptions

Everything in one place

My computer and printers are in there too!

My kitchen stays clean and free of book piles!

I can rearrange at will and not bother anybody.

I can leave a mess and shut the door!

Everything is at hand

I have one child

Love it!

As dd gets older, I'm sure we'll phase it out. I see it as a great thing to have for the younger kids. Come 7th - 12th, I'm sure it'll be changed to a craft room or office as we won't have as much of the fun, kiddie things that need a home.

We do, but we have also done w/o. Both have their advantages. I like our school room, because it's more than just a school room. It's also a library/study, nature room (fish tanks, frogs, plants, etc), computer room, office, and just a nice place to look at maps and posters.

We used to have a "school room", then I realized one day, why are we in the smallest room in the house all day. That's when I had 3 children ages 12, 7, and 1. We evolved over the years with the boys reading and doing some school in their rooms, with math at the kitchen table and science experiments in the kitchen and outside. I usually read aloud sitting on the couch while the boys played with GI Joes and legos. Now with only dd, we spend a lot of time on the couch and kitchen table. I also have a designated closet with some great shelves where I have all my school books organized and visible. My mess is hidden at the end of the day in that closet. I have to say that I saw the "ideal schoolroom" last year. The home was quite large with the schoolroom in a huge loft on the second level. The whole room had tables with computers, bookshelves, white board, maps on the walls, comfy chairs. It was a dream, and the mess (if you could call it that) was away from the main living area downstairs.

We used a separate room for schooling for only one year. At the time I was only homeschooling my two oldest children. I personally found it to be inconvenient to do our work there. I have found it easier to use our dining room for school. While the kids do independent work I can be in the kitchen preparing lunch or dinner, or cleaning up from a meal, menu planning, or cleaning almost any part of the house, etc. Of course it also means that our dining room always looks "lived in". I found the clutter to be more managable than schooling in a separate room. Now those who have more children may have a very different experience than this. Hope this helps.

We each have a desk area and drawers to keep our supplies. It works out nicely and gives the girls their own space to manage. They are pretty good at keeping their school supplies in their desks to they can find them when they need them.

We do relocate to the couch or outdoors for reading. Sometimes I just feel like I can't stand staying in the house for another second! Especially when there's good weather outside. We have also been known to pack up our supplies in backpacks and head to the beach. I consider a backpack and small cooler essential school supplies.

I can say I miss having a homeschool "room".

I prefer to just make the diningroom in our home the homeschool area, but alas here in Japan (US Navy) we don't have that option.

So, we have a homeschooling "wall". And we school at the diningroom table right next to that wall.

I've been considering sewing a curtain and hanging it around the wall, but I think that would irritate me as much as that wall does.

Kris

I have homeschooled both with and without a school room. I honestly don't know how we did it without one now. :001_smile:

Our school room ( http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/LivingUnderGrace/702810/ ) is in our basement and it is not dark or dreary at all! We have tons of lighting, large walk out french doors, wood flooring, and it is open to the play room...so that, I am sure, helps a lot. My husband built a custom made school table that has cabinets as the base. Each of my five children have their own work space and cubboards for their supplies, and on my side of the table (it is slightly angled on the ends) is another set of cupboards for each child for my teacher books.

As far as uniforms, no we don't do uniforms...however, I admit, I have entertained the idea. :D