Menu

I need a list of best and worst places to homeschool.

NC is very easy, IMO. File notice of intent one time; maintain attendance, yearly standardized testing, and vaccination records *in your home*. Correspond with and answer to the state Department of Non-Public Education, so the rules are the same no matter what county you live in. If the state wants to see any of your records, they have to send you a letter and set an appointment. My understanding is that they can't even demand to come in your home (although you may invite them in) but you can literally hand them the papers out the front door!

Also, NC has great dual-enrollment options for high schoolers at the community colleges.

You can also choose from mountains or coast.

And I could be your neighbor, so, obviously, NC is best. :tongue_smilie:

I think the NC laws stink!:tongue_smilie:

I would rather not test my kids until atleast 3rd grade, and I don't like the state telling me I HAVE to test my 1st grader:glare: I also don't like the idea of the school board knocking on my door......I have a feeling that if my dc were in ps, that I wouldn't be allowed to come and "inspect" and hold the same oversight (whether I make an appointment or not)......over MY OWN dc!!!

However, the co-ops and B&M HSing stores and the dual-enrollment and extracurricular activities more than make up for the stinky laws. We have lots of HSers in our neighborhood:001_smile:

Have you looked at the hslda map?

Oklahoma is even better than tx to hs in. And for me to say anything is better than texas is huge. Not that it's any easier - that appears to be about the same, but hsing is a right in the state constitution. I think that's awesome and if I were a political mover and shaker - I'd try to get that done in TX.

Best for what it offers: NYC

But folks don't like the regulations here. I find them a non-issue. It takes me less than an hour a YEAR to complete paperwork and it keeps the district off my back.

Where I live, too. I live in one of the states considered the hardest, but in the school district we live in, it's really rather easy. Just a bit of paper work once a year. There's a lot of case law, and some school districts will ask for more than required (and some homeschoolers comply.) Even though we have to list what we're going to use, it's easy to put in a disclaimer saying we reserve the right to change, blah, blah, blah. There are people who still unschool, etc, even here. So the biggest job was the first year. Now I just change the date of the main letter, tweak the lists for each dc, do a quick report on their progress and am done. Less than an hour.

And, in our state, case law recognizes that there are many ways to learn, so we count extra curricular activities, etc etc in our hours, which I don't write down.

...to other places.

If you're comparing it to a place where *no* contact with school systems is required, *at all*, then...wouldn't it be highly regulated?

(I homeschooled in VA, and would put it--as well as any state that required anything more than notification--as "highly" regulated.)

I'm headed off shortly to make a copy of my annual packet that I send in, which includes their test scores. Periodically I consider going the religious exemption route because we do feel that way, and then I'd be done with it, but we've been homeschooling for starting nine years now, and every year I file this way...

That said, a lot of people do more than they should in Virginia. I ran into a lady some weeks ago who spent hours putting together a scope-and-sequence for every single subject. The law doesn't require that, just a list of your math and language arts books for each child.

"Best" to me means no accountability to the state:

New Jersey

Texas

Oklahoma

Illinois

Michigan

Connecticutt

Idaho

Alaska

HSLDA says MO is good, but there's that funky recording-hours thing.

Calif only requires that private schools (that would include hsers) file an affidavit annually. There are some other "requirements," but as no one is allowed to check on those, and most people would do them anyway, they aren't worth discussing.

"Red" states, those with the most accountability and/or approval required:

New York

Pennsylvania

Massachusetts

Rhode Island

Vermont

North Dakota

All the other states fall somewhere in the middle.

Check out HSLDA's map and state law analyses.

Thanks for posting the map ! I noticed with interest that Alabama (where we lived for ten years) is coded for "low regulation", defined as providing "notice" only. When we lived there that would not have been enough. We were forced to join an umbrella school, and to submit attendance data.

That's because most people don't read the law for themselves and decide for themselves what those laws mean. They believe they have to register with some made up "church schools" who require WAY more than the state does. All Alabama requires me to do is register with my local superintendent that I'm here and who my students are. One form, one time. I'm NOT required to join a church school and nobody else is either. Alabama is easy but also annoying. (due to the mass misinterpretation and belief)

TN falls in the easy category, IMO...as long as you register under a category IV school, which 99% of people who homeschool in TN do. Under a category IV school, you do not have to have a BA/BS to teach highschool, you do not have to report days of enrollment other than just say you did 180 days a year and break down how much per semester. There is no portfolio or check done by the state. No testing is required either. It costs us $45 a year (per child) to register with the Category IV school, but it is the best $90 (I have 2 kids) I spend each year!

I think GA is pretty easy. Send in intent form, send in monthly attendance.

The yearly written report is to be filed by you... where? I put mine in a file folder. The standardized test scores from our kids are filed... um.... well we haven't reached third grade yet but I'll probably put them in another file folder.:lol:

I live in PA and hate the homeschooling laws here. Our portfolios were due June 30th, and I still haven't handed mine in. Wondering what they 're going to do to me. I guess it's the rebel in me.

Blessings,

Lisa

Yeah, I would guess PA or NY would be the hardest to homeschool in. I just wish people everywhere could see how great homeschooling can be. My ds is taking a summer school course at the PS and made a ton of new friends. One of his friends found out he homeschooled and said, "I thought are homeschoolers were retards before I met you!" Ummm, thanks?

WA is pretty easy and we have a ton of resources and homeschooling groups in my area. I have to say no to good/cheap activities because there are too many. It's really an incredible time to homeschool.

Guest booky

It was quite a shock when we moved from WI to PA...thoughwe never h.s.'d in WI, we knew lots who did and it seemed so laid back! WHen I read the PA laws last summer, I almost panicked and put my DS in school. But I decided to be confident in what God called us to and thankfully hooked up with a group that has helped navigate the requirements. We at least have until age 8 at start of school year to register, then provide a portfolio each year.

I am just grateful to have the privilege at all in this country!

FOr all those who think that VA, MD or other regulation states are so easy- they are not. I lived in very great places to homeschool- CA, NM, and overseas SOFA, and then I lived in more problamatic places- FL and VA. FL was easier and friendlier than VA. VA is not as easy state- buy a test, write a yearly statement with curricula plans - and no I am not writing a scope and sequence but I don't know that we will have settled on everything by early August, get approval. Florida was much better in that while you had to test, there was no approval, no yearly intent along with the test or portfolio, a ery easy way to get out of all that- umbrella school, and you got FLorida virtual school, high school classes and activities, and free cc from 10th grade up. I don't care how friendly it is supposed to be- I don't like asking for permission from school officials from which I have not decided to use their system.

I have to throw a shout out to Washington State.

Eligibility is uber-easy: 1 - be supervised by a certificated teacher for one contact hour per week, OR... 2 - have earned 45 college-level credit hours or 1 year of college, OR... 3 -be deemed sufficiently qualified to homeschool by the superintendent of the school district in which you reside, OR...4 - have completed a course in home-based instruction at a post-secondary institution or vocational-technical school.

Then:

1 - to file annually a signed "Declaration of Intent" to homeschool for any children between 8 and 18

2 - You are also required to have your child either tested or assessed annually

But absolutely none of it is verified or kept on file anywhere except the "Declaration of Intent."

Our Governor just declared a WA Homeschooling Week. This was her proclamation:

Wheras, homeschooling offers families the opportunity for their children to receive an education that couples high standards with a sound environment based on individual family desires; and

Whereas, the Washington State Legislature has recognized homeschooling as a legitimate and viable education alternative; and

Whereas, historically, homeschooling was one of the only means of education for many early Americans; and

Whereas, many noteable Americans, including George Washington, Thomas Edison, Sandra Day O'Connor, Abraham Lincoln, Booker T. Washington, and Woodrow Wilson, were primarily educated at home; and

Whereas, Washington State recognizes homeschoolers for their continued commitment to the diversity and quality of education in our state;

Now, therefore, I, Christine O. Gregoire, Governor of the states of Washington, do hereby proclaim June 14-20, 2009, as Homeschool Week in Washington State and I urge all citizens to join me in this special observance.

oops, larger than I intended :001_huh:

I have to throw a shout out to Washington State.

Eligibility is uber-easy: 1 - be supervised by a certificated teacher for one contact hour per week, OR... 2 - have earned 45 college-level credit hours or 1 year of college, OR... 3 -be deemed sufficiently qualified to homeschool by the superintendent of the school district in which you reside, OR...4 - have completed a course in home-based instruction at a post-secondary institution or vocational-technical school.

Then:

1 - to file annually a signed "Declaration of Intent" to homeschool for any children between 8 and 18

2 - You are also required to have your child either tested or assessed annually

But absolutely none of it is verified or kept on file anywhere except the "Declaration of Intent."

Our Governor just declared a WA Homeschooling Week. This was her proclamation:

Wheras, homeschooling offers families the opportunity for their children to receive an education that couples high standards with a sound environment based on individual family desires; and

Whereas, the Washington State Legislature has recognized homeschooling as a legitimate and viable education alternative; and

Whereas, historically, homeschooling was one of the only means of education for many early Americans; and

Whereas, many noteable Americans, including George Washington, Thomas Edison, Sandra Day O'Connor, Abraham Lincoln, Booker T. Washington, and Woodrow Wilson, were primarily educated at home; and

Whereas, Washington State recognizes homeschoolers for their continued commitment to the diversity and quality of education in our state;

Now, therefore, I, Christine O. Gregoire, Governor of the states of Washington, do hereby proclaim June 14-20, 2009, as Homeschool Week in Washington State and I urge all citizens to join me in this special observance.

oops, larger than I intended :001_huh:

But to those of us in less regulated areas, this seems highly regulated. In MS, we just register annually with the attendance officer. We do not have to answer to anyone about our qualifications or our student's capabilities. We only answer to ourselves. There are many homeschoolers here with very organized support groups. It is a fantastic place to homeschool!

After reading some of these posts, I really appreciate what we have here. Now, if I could just register my dd online instead of driving downtown, I would really have it made!:D

I take issue with how the HSLDA defines "easy" or "difficult" to hs in.

I live in MA - one of the few remaining "approval" states, for which HSLDA gives it an automatic 'red'. But I just send in a paper every year saying "I'm homeschooling" with a brief description of what we did last year and a fairly vague description of what we're doing next year (usually 'next year we plan to do more of the same'), and they send me a letter saying "you're approved". And even if they didn't, it wouldn't matter, because the burden is on them to list exact reasons why your plan is deficient, and unless you really send in nothing they usually don't bother (though some towns are pickier than others).

No testing (unless you choose it as an option), no attendance, no counting days.

What I would find onerous, but HSLDA doesn't for obvious reasons, is the laws in some states that have options with different numbers or something that make it easy if you say you are hsing for religious reasons but has a separate list of requirements if you're not. I would also hate to have to be in some umbrella school.

I'm not saying MA is one of the easiest states, but I don't think it's one of the hardest. I think NH is also listed as easier but I think now you have to have some certified teacher come look over your plan - yuk. We don't have that either.

Vermont is very independent as a state. However, it is also very liberal. Not so much for individualism of the citizen. More of the idea of providing a great education for every citizen.

I went to the biggest regional high school in the state. All the bells and whistles. I don't understand why it would be superior to homeschooling in any way.

No one put Wyoming, but really it is pretty easy going. You let the school district know you're homeschooling and give them a copy of your yearly curriculum choices. No required subjects, they just want to know you're giving your children a "basic academic education".

But being in MI now is even easier since I don't even have to tell anyone that I am homeschooling. :D

But to those of us in less regulated areas, this seems highly regulated. In MS, we just register annually with the attendance officer. We do not have to answer to anyone about our qualifications or our student's capabilities. We only answer to ourselves. There are many homeschoolers here with very organized support groups. It is a fantastic place to homeschool!

After reading some of these posts, I really appreciate what we have here. Now, if I could just register my dd online instead of driving downtown, I would really have it made!:D

That's all it boils down to in WA too. We sign a Declaration of Intent with the school district every year. We don't have to verify it with anyone. It would be cool if all states were that easy. We've often thought of leaving the state but HS laws have turned us off, namely TN.

I live in MA - one of the few remaining "approval" states, for which HSLDA gives it an automatic 'red'. But I just send in a paper every year saying "I'm homeschooling" with a brief description of what we did last year and a fairly vague description of what we're doing next year (usually 'next year we plan to do more of the same'), and they send me a letter saying "you're approved". And even if they didn't, it wouldn't matter, because the burden is on them to list exact reasons why your plan is deficient, and unless you really send in nothing they usually don't bother (though some towns are pickier than others).

No testing (unless you choose it as an option), no attendance, no counting days.

What I would find onerous, but HSLDA doesn't for obvious reasons, is the laws in some states that have options with different numbers or something that make it easy if you say you are hsing for religious reasons but has a separate list of requirements if you're not. I would also hate to have to be in some umbrella school.

I'm not saying MA is one of the easiest states, but I don't think it's one of the hardest. I think NH is also listed as easier but I think now you have to have some certified teacher come look over your plan - yuk. We don't have that either.

Again, those of us from states with no approval requirement find the thought of getting approval in the first place to be burdensome, not to mention the things superintendents may consider in granting approval: The proposed curriculum and number of hours of instruction of each of the proposed subjects.; the competency of the parents to teach their children; textbooks, workbooks, and other instructional aids, as well as lesson plans and teaching manuals (so that the superintendent or committee can determine the subjects to be taught and the grade level of instruction for comparison with the public schools’ curriculum); and periodic assessments (to ensure educational progress and attainment of minimum standards).

Those requirements are enough to make MA a red state, even if it doesn't seem like much to *you*. When compared to most other not-red states, yes, it's a lot.

And doesn't it vary from school district to school district? See, that's a problem, too. Maybe your school district doesn't require all of the above, but others might, and if you get new school officials in your district, it could change for you, overnight.

That's seems "red" to me.

I think the NC laws stink!:tongue_smilie:

I would rather not test my kids until atleast 3rd grade, and I don't like the state telling me I HAVE to test my 1st grader:glare: I also don't like the idea of the school board knocking on my door......I have a feeling that if my dc were in ps, that I wouldn't be allowed to come and "inspect" and hold the same oversight (whether I make an appointment or not)......over MY OWN dc!!!

However, the co-ops and B&M HSing stores and the dual-enrollment and extracurricular activities more than make up for the stinky laws. We have lots of HSers in our neighborhood:001_smile:

Hm, you make some good points, but I wonder if we're understanding the law in the same way?

Testing is required when your child is seven; however, there are MANY tests that fill the requirement, and many of those tests are non-traditional, low stress. I'm not trying to be dense, but what is your objection to testing? It's very unusual to be asked to show your test results, so the results are pretty much for your eyes only. I've always found testing to be a useful tool for evaluation.

The school board would most emphatically NOT be knocking on your door. NC homeschoolers do NOT answer to a local school board. We answer to a special division of non-public education which is a centralized office in Raleigh.

I have many friends with dc in NC public schools; in their experience, they are actually quite welcome as a presence in the schools (probably because our district is so understaffed!). Now, that was certainly not my experience in a private school we tried this past year, but that's another story. :glare:

Those requirements are enough to make MA a red state, even if it doesn't seem like much to *you*. When compared to most other not-red states, yes, it's a lot.

Where we live, they take all of the homeschool notices of intent and vote on them as a group. It's a legal right and they cannot say no unless they can prove a very good reason not to; the onus is on them, not us. Naturally, not having to file anything at all, ever, is easier. Our argument isn't that MA is one of the easiest states, but simply that we don't agree with MA being a red state. Perhaps an orange, but not a red. Even the hours case law doesn't mean we have to spend that many hours doing academics, because it recognizes that there are many ways of learning. There are a lot of homeschoolers of many ilks around here, and not just in our school districts. As for the qualification rule, being a parent, you're qualified.

Edited by Karin

MA can actually be quite easy, though it varies by town. You need to fill out a form and send it to the public school before school starts, then you choose one form of assessment (could be a standardized test, parental progress report, or work samples) and send to the public school at the end of the year. That's all.

My cousin lives in OH and has to have each child's work reviewed by a certified teacher each year, I think. That sounds like more work to me.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

Here is a link to a map of the USA. HSLDA has coded the states according to the amount of regulation required in each state. The states listed with high regulations include: RI, MA, NY, PA, VT, and ND.

HTH,

Leanna

I don't care how friendly it is supposed to be- I don't like asking for permission from school officials from which I have not decided to use their system.

Good point. That (needing the approval of the local public school) alone is the one thing that makes MA and RI unhappy states in which to homeschool. They are the only two "approval" states in the nation.

And doesn't it vary from school district to school district? See, that's a problem, too. Maybe your school district doesn't require all of the above, but others might, and if you get new school officials in your district, it could change for you, overnight.

Ah, yes. Good point.

One of the worst places to HS is our little corner of Northern New England because the public schools are so darn good. :tongue_smilie:

Yes...forsaking that NCLB money was one of the best decisions VT ever made!

Oh, and like SpyCar said, Vermont is cool. We go to VT often, and always long to put down roots at the base of one of those Green Mountains.

Astrid

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jjuth

NJ is super easy to homeschool in. There are no regulations whatsoever! Of course, you have to put up with high taxes, expensive housing, and pollution, but hey, there has to be a trade-off! Just kidding about the pollution - NJ is really a beautiful state. We have thought of leaving, but the ease of homeschooling here has kept us in NJ.

Actually, many superintendents in MA require assessment and at least an end-of-the year report. You don't get to choose not to report on the school year if the school district asks for an assessment, which could be a progress report, portfolio samples, or a test. There is a counting of hours required by law - 900 hours. When you send in your notice of intent, you are supposed to send a specific list of curriculum and not be vague. The superintendent has the right to look over your books if need be. So yes, it could be difficult. The difficulty of homeschooling depends on your town and, especially, the superintendent and school committee of the town. It may be easy one year, but it could change the following year with a change of school committee members and/or superintendent. In the scheme of things, MA is one of the more difficult states.

Edited by LMA

worst place~ the bathroom.

ha, ha

:lol:

I think California is good, no problems here after 20 plus years. My daughter has been able to be in the orchestra class (public school) starting in junior high so we're grateful for that. We live in an area where there are many homeschoolers and a great support group, too.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kansas, but I guess we're not well represented on this board. :D

You register as a non-accredited private school with the state once, and you only ever have to send in another form if you move to a different address. The registration is not subject to anyone's approval, either. The form took me 5 minutes online.

We're supposed to meet for a "substantially equivalent" amount of time compared to the public schools, and teachers are supposed to be "competent," but neither is defined and no one checks up on it. No legally required or suggested subjects, either.

We may seem to be in the middle of nowhere (and some parts of Kansas are) but we have it pretty easy, schooling-wise.