Menu

Need curriculum help

cdrumm4448

I'm sorry to be asking 5,000 questions, but I know you ladies can help me. I would like to get a science curriculum for my ds7 as well as a program for my dd4. For science I would like it to be totally complete. If I have to find additional materials and put things together I'll never do it. I would love to just open the book/workbook and go. Would prefer no internet-based programs but I'm willing to consider them. For dd4, she is rapidly learning phonics so I would like a complete program for her age that will really stress phonics. It doesn't have to be just a phonics program, and I'd prefer if it wasn't. Again, just open and go. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm sorry to be asking 5,000 questions, but I know you ladies can help me. I would like to get a science curriculum for my ds7 as well as a program for my dd4. For science I would like it to be totally complete. If I have to find additional materials and put things together I'll never do it. I would love to just open the book/workbook and go. Would prefer no internet-based programs but I'm willing to consider them. For dd4, she is rapidly learning phonics so I would like a complete program for her age that will really stress phonics. It doesn't have to be just a phonics program, and I'd prefer if it wasn't. Again, just open and go. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

What do you mean by a "complete phonics program"? I'm unclear on that. For your dd making sure she *knows* her phonics is, to me, the first and most important thing. Everything follows from that. A board search will probably yield several threads on different programs. I personally wouldn't worry about anything else with her except phonics.

If you'll search this board under "science" or some similar term you'll find myriad posts/threads on grammar school science programs. Also, check Paula's Archives (do a google search as I can't remember the address right now) and you'll find a compare/contrast on various science programs.

We are using Sonlight science because everything, including the consumable materials is included in the package, the only thing I had to do was put the TM in a 3 ring binder. You could probably do the 1st grade with them together. I'm using 1 with my 5 year old.

I love the idea of Dancing Bears phonics from Promethean Trust, and if I had to start all over again, I would probably go with that.

Science-Noeo or Sonlight science. If you just need a kit for another science program you could try looking here.

4yo phonics. What are you currently using/doing? Do you have the ultimate goal of combining your children or would you prefer to keep them separate? There are many, many phonics programs that are open and go but you said you would prefer if it wasn't just a phonics program.

Are you looking for Phonics in this preschool program that is learning letter sounds OR learning to read? Many complete preschool programs would include phonics that is learning letter sounds and not learning to read.

If you are looking for a complete program in which she will learn to read you might try looking at Kr programs and going at a slower pace.

hth and isn't too confusing!

I already have Frontline Phonics, which I used to teach my son to read when he was 4. She is further behind than he was at the same age, so she is still learning just phonics. She wants her own consumable workbook, so she can do school like her older brother. We used our workbooks on my son. I don't care if math is included, or other subjects, just that it's a consumable workbook and does include phonics. Clear as mud?

I already have Frontline Phonics, which I used to teach my son to read when he was 4. She is further behind than he was at the same age, so she is still learning just phonics. She wants her own consumable workbook, so she can do school like her older brother. We used our workbooks on my son. I don't care if math is included, or other subjects, just that it's a consumable workbook and does include phonics. Clear as mud?

For your dd you could check out Explode the Code. It is NOT a complete program in and of itself, but you could supplement your phonics program using it. I'm not sure which level your dd would use, but check out both Explode the Code and its prequels Get Ready for the Code, Get Set for the Code, and Go For the Code. These are workbooks which may satisfy your dd and they're not expensive which may satisfy you.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for all the help. I checked out Sonlight Science and I really like it. My only question is which level to start out at. My son is 7 and going into 2nd grade, but we've always done loose, non-curriculum-based science at home, mostly experiments. I like the idea of it being literature based, and he likes it too, but it also includes experiments. So, level 1 or the next one, I think it's 1 + 2 or something like that. I'm not really clear on the difference.

we use Sonlight for our 4 yos; we did p3/4 last year and this year will move to 4/5. They have Core packages, but also sell Explode the Code and other phonics type items.

what all is phonics stuff about? my kids learned some of the basics and reading at a 3rd or 4th grade level, but could they missing something? we haven't really done any phonics programs. is it necessary for all kids?