Menu

Garb boast thread! (SCA content, lol!)

I know I'm not the only one around here who's been sewing garb! Come on, share pics! Of course if you have pics of garb you made 15 years ago, post them too. We won't know you didn't finish it yesterday :) Heck, if we're boasting, why limit to garb? Any spiffy embroidery, weaving, naalbinded socks?

I'll start with the cutest; that's Zia in her Norse. The bright blue might be a bit too bright for authenticity, since it is linen and linen doesn't take dye well, but it was cheap and makes her easier to see in a crowd :)

The purple surcote ought to be worn with a veil, but someone has disappeared with the fabric, and I don't think I'll be finding it before tomorrow morning, which is when we are leaving for the event to go and wear this stuff.

I know I look like a jerk in the Livonian costume, and I'm only posting a pic because I promised Ibbygirl. It's supposed to look like this but I'm too poor to have the bling, and I don't know where I'd find most of it anyway! I feel like the Turkish grandma out of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but anyway, now I've posted my embarassing pic, you guys and post your not nearly so embarassing pics, ok?

;)

Pani Nawojka Opalenska, usually known here as Rosie :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Rosie_0801

I know I'm not the only one around here who's been sewing garb! Come on, share pics! Of course if you have pics of garb you made 15 years ago, post them too. We won't know you didn't finish it yesterday :) Heck, if we're boasting, why limit to garb? Any spiffy embroidery, weaving, naalbinded socks?

I'll start with the cutest; that's Zia in her Norse. The bright blue might be a bit too bright for authenticity, since it is linen and linen doesn't take dye well, but it was cheap and makes her easier to see in a crowd :)

The purple surcote ought to be worn with a veil, but someone has disappeared with the fabric, and I don't think I'll be finding it before tomorrow morning, which is when we are leaving for the event to go and wear this stuff.

I know I look like a jerk in the Livonian costume, and I'm only posting a pic because I promised Ibbygirl. It's supposed to look like this but I'm too poor to have the bling, and I don't know where I'd find most of it anyway! I feel like the Turkish grandma out of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but anyway, now I've posted my embarassing pic, you guys and post your not nearly so embarassing pics, ok?

;)

Really nice work!

Cute Norse baby, too. :D

I never realized that garb is brag backwards.

;)

Awesome job Pani Nawojka Opalenska :hurray: Zia looks SOOOO CUUUUUUTEEEE!!! I like how she's holding her hand out like she is trying to avert paparazzi or something. hehehe :p

Is that little Marek in the last pic? The one with your Turkish Greek wedding costume. :p hehehe

Very nicely done Ms. Rosie!! Now relax and enjoy yourself tomorrow! :) Have a great time. Are you going to take pics of the SCA meeting or are cameras not allowed??

I think I'm going to be entering the Unfinished Project ArtSci contest at Chocolate Revel this year...I started some naalbinding, lost my needle, and it just sits there, this little round...thing. It's too conical to be one of those things you set under a glass on the table, but too flat to be a pouch. I intended to make a hat, but I'm not sure if I remember how to do it now, it's been like 2 or 3 months since I worked on it. Poor, sad, little bit of naalbinding.

Anyway, here's some garb I have pics of, from Estrella a few years ago. DD showing off one of a set of 4 matching tabards I made for friends who were day-tripping with their homeschool group (sized one for each boy), in one of her Vikings (the man holding her is a friend, the red at her cuff is another dress she had on underneath the wool one), and in her cloak (she was passing out door prizes at the Chirugeon's Point meeting, and the pants are fleece--I made like a dozen pair of fleece leggings for her that year, she's worn them 3 years running, first over diapers, then not; they just hide more as they look shorter but I think by this coming one she'll need new ones finally):

Edited by Ravin

I never realized that garb is brag backwards.

Neither did I, but a finished project makes you want to!

I like how she's holding her hand out like she is trying to avert paparazzi or something. hehehe :p

Is that little Marek in the last pic? The one with your Turkish Greek wedding costume. :p hehehe

Very nicely done Ms. Rosie!! Now relax and enjoy yourself tomorrow! :) Have a great time. Are you going to take pics of the SCA meeting or are cameras not allowed??

No, Zia had her hand out because she wanted the camera so she could look at herself on the back! It's the back of her head in that turkish widow shot too. We always take our camera to events, but usually have our hands full of babies so don't use it. Others do though, so come Monday there'll be hundreds of photos on Flikr.

I think I'm going to be entering the Unfinished Project ArtSci contest at Chocolate Revel this year

Ah, the UFO (UnFinished Object.) I guess that brings us back to the bragworthiness mentioned above, lol. Elf Girl is a cutie :)

C'mon Peela. I want to see yours too!

Couldn't find your pics, Keptwoman ??

Rosie, I mean Nawojka...

Edited by Rosie_0801

Oh gosh, now the pressure is on.

I must have some pictures somewhere. I think there are some on Facebook- I just have to work out how to get them here.

I have just made a lemon yellow underdress, and my yellow linen has arrived for my next layer, and then I have some dark yellow curtain material (cotton) for an overdress. I am just waiting for the holidays (next week!) to do the next thing. My "Medieval Tailor's Assistant" arrived 2 weeks ago and I have read it cover to cover.

It's so great to see your pickies Rosie and everyone. Very inspiring.

Yes. The pressure is on! Find some pics!

Talk about the pressure being on. You should have seen some of the outfits at Coronation this weekend! Sure made me look like the country cousin, which indeed I am :D It's great watching the peers going up to take their allegiance oath. All that speccy garb parading past...

:)

Rosie

Oh, while we're here, does anyone have pics of their AoA scrolls? I imagine they are different over different kingdoms. They are probably different over time in the same kingdom for all I know. Here's a pic of dh's. Mine looks the same, but has different colours. To give credit where it is due, it was made by Lady Katherine Alica of Sarum, a gentle from the north of our kingdom :)

Rosie