Menu

What's your favorite daydream?

The mortgage threads made me want to share.

My favorite daydream runs like this:

A very rich and maybe even famous person gets their car stuck in the snow outside of my house. They knock on the door (because it's cold and snowy and they're stuck and need help.)

They stay with my family overnight and are sooo charmed by us that after they leave and go home, they decide to repay our kindness by anonymously paying off our mortgage. (It's anonymous so we can't say, "no, it's too much" and refuse.)

I daydream this all the time. It's what I do when I'm bored and don't have a book on hand to read. Rich people paying off my mortgage. (Happy sigh.)

What's your daydream?

At the moment? A house of our own with heating!

If I keep dreaming, it'll have a veggie patch, fruit trees, a grey water system and a play/school room. Naturally it is all paid off so the money we would spend on a mortgage would be saved for overseas trips every few years. I could easily make up a daydream about each of those too :)

I'm actually dreaming that this over priced house is going to sit on the market until next year when dh gets a job, by which time the owner will be so desperate to sell he/she'll drop the price to something reasonable (ie what we can afford ;) )

Rosie

Yup, you know the dream. A one time purchase of a lottery ticket that wins HUGE. Being that person who is so reserved that they tell no one. Going to 3 or 4 different financial planners to figure out the best plan. Being able to help someone else. Adopting 2 or 3 kids...and being able to have a full time housekeeper. Buying the property behind and to the side of us...if we chose (get that CHOSE) to stay here.

Carrie...

(Oh, and a nice car with air conditioning for my husband)

Yup, you know the dream. A one time purchase of a lottery ticket that wins HUGE. Being that person who is so reserved that they tell no one. Going to 3 or 4 different financial planners to figure out the best plan. Being able to help someone else. Adopting 2 or 3 kids...and being able to have a full time housekeeper.

Yup. This is the one I like, too. I never buy lottery tickets, although sometimes dh will pick one up when the jackpot has grown to a ridiculous number. Then I can really go to town with the daydreams.:D I like to think about all the good I could do with all that money.

We actually know one of the creators of Club Penguin. CP was purchased by Disney for an insane amount of money. The three guys who owned it gave huge bonuses to all of their staff, and the guy I know personally has done some really neat things for others. I guess he and his wife are now living their daydream.

Lori

(Although I don't play, so how???)

I go back to college while continuing to homeschool DD. DH and I both quit our jobs. We like them, but not THAT much. I study history, get a PhD, and start applying for tenure track positions while doing original research. In the meantime, DD goes into high school homeschooling, and we hire private tutors for her. They help with that pesky record keeping and make sure that her transcripts and tests are in order for college admissions. They cover a lot of test prep as well, so she doesn't have to worry about that.

We have a beautiful, medium-sized home with a live-out housekeeper and gardener. It's not showy or in a gated community or anything like that. No one really knows that we have money--we just seem comfortably well off and pretty energetic. I cook a lot, because I like to. We have raised beds and grow a lot of our own produce. We also have ducks, because they are easier to manage than chickens. But the gardener cleans the duck enclosure. ;)

We have a small guest house and we let people stay there for extended periods of time. I watch for opportunities to help people discreetly who need a hand, especially the elderly or families.

We hike and ski a lot. We also travel to Egypt, Greece, Italy, Austria, Germany, Denmark, England, Peru, Japan, and New Zealand.

I buy my old church building, and turn it back into a church. It belongs to a trust, and can't be turned to other uses ever again.

I set up a charitable foundation, and DD is the successor trustee. We support Lutheran missionaries, campus ministries, and writers, history studies, children's health and education initiatives, Global Fund for Women, Community Pregnancy Centers, Northern European heritage studies, and wild nature preservation. We also provide seed money for work in alternative energy.

I don't need to hire a personal trainer because I just naturally wouldn't be so sedentary in my new life. We would keep going to church, of course, and would be big financial supporters but no one would know.

I would have a weaving studio again, and I might also teach.

I daydream a lot about winning the lottery. Paying off all our debt, finalizing my divorce, buying a motorhome and travelling all over North and South America for 3 or so years as a family, paying off the mortgages of all my family members, putting money away for the kids futures, buying our perfect home, world travel, adopting more children and on and on my daydream goes.

My husband miraculously gets the opportunity to work in the UK for a couple of years. We move there temporarily. I homeschool the kids 3 days a week and we go out on trips the rest of the time, exploring and learning history etc. At the end, we come back to our beloved hometown, which I can't leave permanently.

To win the lottery so:

1. pay off debts

2. buy a home and pay off parents' mortgage

3. pay for all the dental and orthodontic work for the kids

4. to buy something nice for myself

not quite as imaginative as the OP's daydream of a rich person paying her mortgage:)

Right now it is catching babies...

You are studying to be a midwife? No one should be throwing babies!

I would have a weaving studio again

Hey! Back up a bit. You had a weaving studio? That means you have pictures of pretty things you've made, yes? Where are they?!!

;)

Rosie

Winning the Main Event of the World Series of Poker.

Sometimes it's as the 2nd woman to make it to a Final Table.

(PS: I've actually played on a WSOP table with the only woman to have made a final table - Barbara Enright. She was very classy. Busted out on my table, but very classy. ;)).

My favorite daydream is still the same one since I was a child. I want to be able to fly like Superman. :) hehe But outside of the ability to defy gravity, I want to be a REALLY great guitarist. I mean, like technically perfect great with super nasty chops! Yeah! That would be awesome, then I could finally get the music in my head out into the world and maybe I'd have my own signature series guitar built to my specifications. Oh man, I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. Well, if the string theory is true, then maybe I am living this life in an alternate universe. :D

(Although I don't play, so how???)

I go back to college while continuing to homeschool DD. DH and I both quit our jobs. We like them, but not THAT much. I study history, get a PhD, and start applying for tenure track positions while doing original research. In the meantime, DD goes into high school homeschooling, and we hire private tutors for her. They help with that pesky record keeping and make sure that her transcripts and tests are in order for college admissions. They cover a lot of test prep as well, so she doesn't have to worry about that.

We have a beautiful, medium-sized home with a live-out housekeeper and gardener. It's not showy or in a gated community or anything like that. No one really knows that we have money--we just seem comfortably well off and pretty energetic. I cook a lot, because I like to. We have raised beds and grow a lot of our own produce. We also have ducks, because they are easier to manage than chickens. But the gardener cleans the duck enclosure. ;)

We have a small guest house and we let people stay there for extended periods of time. I watch for opportunities to help people discreetly who need a hand, especially the elderly or families.

We hike and ski a lot. We also travel to Egypt, Greece, Italy, Austria, Germany, Denmark, England, Peru, Japan, and New Zealand.

I buy my old church building, and turn it back into a church. It belongs to a trust, and can't be turned to other uses ever again.

I set up a charitable foundation, and DD is the successor trustee. We support Lutheran missionaries, campus ministries, and writers, history studies, children's health and education initiatives, Global Fund for Women, Community Pregnancy Centers, Northern European heritage studies, and wild nature preservation. We also provide seed money for work in alternative energy.

I don't need to hire a personal trainer because I just naturally wouldn't be so sedentary in my new life. We would keep going to church, of course, and would be big financial supporters but no one would know.

I would have a weaving studio again, and I might also teach.

Wow! What a well thought out daydream! I can picture you waiting at the doctor's office planning out how to spend your millions with a happy smile on your face. I mean, you even have a list of all the countries you're going to. I love it!

Taking a week off and traveling through the rocky mtns, grand tetons and the black hills....oh wait I just did that last week:D time for a new daydream.

My other daydream is going to the neighborhood I grew up and visiting with everyone. We had such a great neighborhood to grow up in.

I imagine the perfect small town, or the perfect hobby farm with guesthouse B&B, or the perfect old-wealth townhouse, or the perfect super-minimalist Zen-like Grow Home (anybody read Witold Ry-bish-in-ski [or something in Polish] and his plan for add-on townhouses called Grow Homes?)

Can you tell I like houses? :001_smile:

Hey! Back up a bit. You had a weaving studio? That means you have pictures of pretty things you've made, yes? Where are they?!!

;)

Rosie

...I don't have pretty pictures! I wove before digital cameras were popular, and I never put my fist fulls of photos into albums, so I have no idea whether they are even still around.

I wove a lot of double weave pickup, and dabbled in fine Japanese-style Ikat with a Silicon Valley focus for subjects. I also really, really liked using color-grown cotton as well as other kinds of cotton. I'm allergic to wools and terrified of weaving linen, so cotton was perfect for me.

I switched over to knitting when DD was very young, because I wanted something portable that I could do while waiting around for her. My main loom is in storage.

Winning the lotto is the first important step. This would enable me to:

Kiss off WCB, and tell The Hag exactly what I think of her. :D

Pursue treatments not condoned or approved by WCB that might be beneficial to my pain management.

Buy the *right* acreage and either build a 2nd home on it, or remodel the existing home so that its right (I lean to just building another home, seems like way less stress and mess).

The Dream House would include the Perfect Schoolroom. *happy sigh*

Travel as we study. Ancients, go to Egypt, and Rome. Medieval, go to England, Scotland, Ireland...you get the idea. Really make history come alive ;) Those trips would be after harvesting time was over on the acreage of course ;)

I'd also be taking care of certain people's mortgages and dreams. Depending on how big the lotto win is, of course. Unfortunately, a million dollars doesn't do what it used to anymore :glare:

...I don't have pretty pictures! I wove before digital cameras were popular, and I never put my fist fulls of photos into albums, so I have no idea whether they are even still around.

I wove a lot of double weave pickup, and dabbled in fine Japanese-style Ikat with a Silicon Valley focus for subjects. I also really, really liked using color-grown cotton as well as other kinds of cotton. I'm allergic to wools and terrified of weaving linen, so cotton was perfect for me.

I switched over to knitting when DD was very young, because I wanted something portable that I could do while waiting around for her. My main loom is in storage.

Wow!! I am seriously impressed. Kudos to you!! May I ask how you got into weaving? Do you have a relative that was a weaver? I'm always fascinated by the process of how things convert from their natural state to their useful one. Truly interesting. :)

I just remembered another daydream that I have. Somehow or other (the details are fuzzy) it turns out that I'm next in line for the throne of England. Some stuffy looking British people arrive at my door and make this announcement and then sweep me away to Buckingham palace and I end up wearing a lot of designer clothing.

Ahhh. I love that one!

Or else it turns out that there really IS a Doctor and he whisks me away in his Tardis.

(Yes, I'm American, but who wouldn't want to be the queen of England or go on adventures through space and time???)