Menu

Books for Literature/history question

We are studying world history this year and using Duiker/Spielvogel World History text. We are going chronologically and I have required them to pick three books (biography/autobiography, fiction, nonfiction) for each time period we are covering.

Pre-history to 500 C.E.

500 C.E to 1500

1500 to 1800

1800 to 1945

1945 to current

So my question is... where do I get reading lists recommended for each of these time periods for high schoolers? I have an older version of TWTM but wondered if there are more for me to look but I don't know where to look.

Are there books that are a for sure that we should definitely read?

Thank you,

Anita

So my question is... where do I get reading lists recommended for each of these time periods for high schoolers? I have an older version of TWTM but wondered if there are more for me to look but I don't know where to look.

Thank you,

Anita

I really like All through the Ages History through literature Guide by Christine Miller. It has suggested historical fiction, biography, and literature selections. It also has timelines for each period.

We are studying world history this year and using Duiker/Spielvogel World History text. We are going chronologically and I have required them to pick three books (biography/autobiography, fiction, nonfiction) for each time period we are covering.

Pre-history to 500 C.E.

500 C.E to 1500

1500 to 1800

1800 to 1945

1945 to current

Are there books that are a for sure that we should definitely read?

Thank you,

Anita

Hi Anita,

Other places you can get book suggestions (or buy from) are:

bfbooks.com

Their Marrin books are in the not to be missed category, especially the Hitler and Stalin ones (the rest are war books, but very interesting). My son did the US and World History from Civil War to present, and the books they picked were great (we did some of them, not all!). They also carry the James Daugherty books, Magna Carta being one of them.

greenleafpress.com

The Shearers have great books as well.

The lists in the old WTM are fine, I am looking at the same thing right now with a borrowed older edition. It does seem there is quite a "jump" in level between logic and rhetoric stages... I wouldn't be afraid to get some suggestions from logic, that is what I may have to do..... my daughter will not be able to read Homer..... just starting this!

Hi Anita,

Other places you can get book suggestions (or buy from) are:

bfbooks.com

Their Marrin books are in the not to be missed category, especially the Hitler and Stalin ones (the rest are war books, but very interesting). My son did the US and World History from Civil War to present, and the books they picked were great (we did some of them, not all!). They also carry the James Daugherty books, Magna Carta being one of them.

greenleafpress.com

The Shearers have great books as well.

The lists in the old WTM are fine, I am looking at the same thing right now with a borrowed older edition. It does seem there is quite a "jump" in level between logic and rhetoric stages... I wouldn't be afraid to get some suggestions from logic, that is what I may have to do..... my daughter will not be able to read Homer..... just starting this!

Thank you Susan!!!