Menu

Henle

Please remind me...units 1 and 2 are to be used with Latin I and Units 3-5 are Latin II? After that, the rest is Latin III and IV? My daughter has completed Latin I and II with Oxford and translates beautifully but is rusty on her grammar. How far should she go in Henle to catch up?

Barb

Please remind me...units 1 and 2 are to be used with Latin I and Units 3-5 are Latin II? After that, the rest is Latin III and IV? My daughter has completed Latin I and II with Oxford and translates beautifully but is rusty on her grammar. How far should she go in Henle to catch up?

Barb

I believe that Henle First Year covers the complete Latin grammar and completing the course is equal to 2 years of High School Latin. Anyone may feel free to correct me.

The Unit divisions that you refer to are from the Memoria Press syllabus which is designed to take middle school children through the book slowly. Mother of Divine Grace puts out a syllabus that goes through Henle more quickly for HIgh School. If you are looking for a grammar refresher, then Henle First Year is what you want. She can go quickly through some units if it's review and then you can easily find her weak areas.

Okay, thank you. That makes sense. I bought Cheryl Lowe's study guide years ago but just couldn't click with Henle. Sigh. We still aren't clicking very well. Maybe we'll just go with Wheelocks for grammar and sell our Henle.

Barb

I believe that Henle First Year covers the complete Latin grammar and completing the course is equal to 2 years of High School Latin. Anyone may feel free to correct me.

equivalent to two years of high school level Latin, both by Memoria Press and by most private and parochial schools. The Memoria Press guide goes slowly; if you want to speed things up, use the MODG guide.