Menu

Can someone tell me about Notgrass?

I was checking out Notgrass, since it is a required text for MFW highschool. Now, I'm considering Notgrass American History for my upcoming junior. For those of you who have used it, did you feel it was enough, too much? I would most likely require the tests & quizzes, since my ds has had it far too easy these past few years. I'm also concerned that I might have to add too much in terms of launguage arts...grammar, etc.

Thanks!

We just finished Notgrass American last year with my 11th and 9th grade sons. I REALLY liked it and highly recommend it. We did it all - quizzes, tests, books, writings, etc. I did supplement English vocab with Wordly-Wise and we always watch History Channel shows that match what we are studying... but I'd do that regardless of what curriculum I chose.

Put Notgrass into the search engine restricted to this high school board and you'll find relatively recent threads with both pros and cons on it.

Hi,

My high schoolers really enjoyed Notgrass. It helped them to achieve a level of independence that I had been hoping for. We liked their American and World History but MFW only uses their World. I asked Mr. Hazel at a conference if they were planning on using the Notgrass American and was disappointed to learn that they weren't. HTH,

Susan

I asked Mr. Hazel at a conference if they were planning on using the Notgrass American and was disappointed to learn that they weren't. HTH,

Susan

Interesting. I suppose he didn't commit to what text they plan to use?

You know, one idea would be to inquire about the MFW pilot for year 3. I don't know what the requirements are this year, but in past high school pilot years your student didn't necessarily have to have used their previous years.

Julie

I'm not positive but, I think he mentioned DeMar's book (? title). We really enjoyed the Notgrass American history so I will probably use that again instead of MFW for 2010-11. The biggest difference for the World history was the literary analysis that MFW had compiled. Hopefully, I'll be able to do the same for Am hx.

Susan

I'm not positive but, I think he mentioned DeMar's book (? title). We really enjoyed the Notgrass American history so I will probably use that again instead of MFW for 2010-11. The biggest difference for the World history was the literary analysis that MFW had compiled. Hopefully, I'll be able to do the same for Am hx.

Susan

Are you thinking of just using that *part* of MFW high school? I was curious whether you could just do one or two of the high school credits (Bible, History, Literature).