Menu

Opinions on R&S 3 or FLL 3?

Anyone care to chime in with their preferences for third grade grammar? I was set to start R&S 3 (we have not done formal grammar), but we will be using WWE next year, so I started looking at FLL 3, and I really like it. I like that there's a workbook. Can anyone share their experiences with these programs and help me decide?

Thanks!!!

Lisa

I used R&S 3 with my oldest and FLL 3 with my middle child. I like both programs a lot, but I would pick FLL 3 over R&S 3. It's too easy to overlook the memorization of definitions with R&S, plus you miss out on all the built-in opportunities for narration, dictation and poem memorization. The grammar is clearly explained and often there are fun activities that make it multi-sensory (for example, using actions to explain prepositions such as "lie on the sofa, pull the blanket over you). R&S looks much the same in grades 4 and 5, so you won't be missing much if you start later than 3rd.

I used R&S 3 with my oldest and FLL 3 with my middle child. I like both programs a lot, but I would pick FLL 3 over R&S 3. It's too easy to overlook the memorization of definitions with R&S, plus you miss out on all the built-in opportunities for narration, dictation and poem memorization. The grammar is clearly explained and often there are fun activities that make it multi-sensory (for example, using actions to explain prepositions such as "lie on the sofa, pull the blanket over you). R&S looks much the same in grades 4 and 5, so you won't be missing much if you start later than 3rd.

:iagree: Same situation here - FLL is just easier to do at this age. I'm glad its been an option for my younger children. I don't think that they would have adjusted to R&S as my oldest has.

Just to chime in on the where will you go after FLL 4...We are planning to use Analytical Grammar and Harvey's Grammar. I plan to use Classical Writing, and Harvey's is recommended to use with that program. I LIKE ANalytical Grammar and just think it will fit my son.

BTW, My son HATED R&S 3 grammar, so I waited a long time for FLL4 to come out, but now my son LOVES grammar. I agree about the memorization. It is nice to have it incorporated in the grammar program.

Jennifer

I would pick FLL 3 over R&S 3. It's too easy to overlook the memorization of definitions with R&S

Do FLL 3 and 4 have grammar/mechanics definitions that are in *addition* to the grammar mem. work in FLL 1 and 2? If so, what is it? Thanks.

If not, do you continue with another program after, like Rod and Staff. Where would you pick up?

Before FLL 3 and 4 were published, I used FLL 1 and 2, and then moved on to R&S 3. I think after FLL 4 you could start with R&S 5, if using R&S.

Do FLL 3 and 4 have grammar/mechanics definitions that are in *addition* to the grammar mem. work in FLL 1 and 2? If so, what is it? Thanks.

FLL 3 is easier if the child has already completed the memory work from FLL 1 & 2 since most of the memory work is the same. There are many new terms and rules in FLL 3 (complete/simple predicate/subject, contractions, direct objects, homonyms, predicate adjective/nominative). The biggest difference is the application of all that memory work through diagramming and other exercises.

We will be starting FLL 4 this fall, so I'm not sure what is new in that book or what a good jumping-in place would be for R & S when you complete FLL 4.