Menu

Do you cut pancakes before or after you pour on the syrup?

1. 1. Do you cut pancakes before or after you pour on the syrup?

• Cut first, syrup second
    • Syrup first, cut second

You forgot the obligatory "other." I don't pour my syrup. I have it in a little bowl and dip each bite in there. This helped me use less syrup since I really shouldn't ever have pancakes and syrup - too many carbs. Plus, with maple syrup prices they way they are these days, I need to ration to my kids.

:lol: I'm not alone!

Before because I fix them the way I like them and then cut them a bite at a time.

When my kids were little I'd put on the toppings and then use a pizza cutter to whip them into bite size pieces.

:)

The pancakes get soggy if you pour the syrup on top; so I do neither of the above. I pour it onto another plate and dip! I started this when I was a kid. I also prefer this because I don't always want syrup on every bite. I always thought I was the only one who did it this way, so I'm happy to see that I'm not alone!

I spoon syrup, before cutting. Otherwise, it ends up all over the plate.

And I break my eggs in the middle. Who on earth would break them on an end? :confused:

In the middle? Swift did not even imagine third party trouble-makers like yourself:

It is allowed on all Hands, that the primitive way of breaking Eggs, before we eat them, was upon the larger End: But his present Majesty's Grand-father, while he was a Boy, going to eat an Egg, and breaking it according to the ancient Practice, happened to cut one of his Fingers. Whereupon the Emperor his Father published an Edict, commanding all his Subjects, upon great Penaltys, to break the smaller End of their Eggs. The People so highly resented this Law, that our Histories tell us there have been six Rebellions raised on that account; wherein one Emperor lost his Life, and another his Crown. These civil Commotions were constantly fomented by the Monarchs of Blefuscu; and when they were quelled, the Exiles always fled for Refuge to that Empire. It is computed, that eleven thousand Persons have, at several times, suffered Death, rather than submit to break their Eggs at the smaller End. (Gulliver's Travels)

I pour then cut, so that's what I chose. I cut one bite-sized piece (or so) at a time.

But, for my kids, who still need theirs cut for them, I cut first and then pour. I think that's because I'm cutting up a whole pancake at one time. Trying to cut an entire pancake into small pieces when it's already been coated with syrup would be difficult.

I voted for the second, even though I no longer eat pancakes much. However, I would have liked an other because when I do, I don't put syrup on them anymore. Too much sugar for my body at this point in my life. When I did use syrup, I put it on before cutting the pancakes.

In the middle? Swift did not even imagine third party trouble-makers like yourself:

It is allowed on all Hands, that the primitive way of breaking Eggs, before we eat them, was upon the larger End: But his present Majesty's Grand-father, while he was a Boy, going to eat an Egg, and breaking it according to the ancient Practice, happened to cut one of his Fingers. Whereupon the Emperor his Father published an Edict, commanding all his Subjects, upon great Penaltys, to break the smaller End of their Eggs. The People so highly resented this Law, that our Histories tell us there have been six Rebellions raised on that account; wherein one Emperor lost his Life, and another his Crown. These civil Commotions were constantly fomented by the Monarchs of Blefuscu; and when they were quelled, the Exiles always fled for Refuge to that Empire. It is computed, that eleven thousand Persons have, at several times, suffered Death, rather than submit to break their Eggs at the smaller End. (Gulliver's Travels)

:smilielol5:

Was Swift, perchance, envisioning hard cooked eggs, eaten out of an egg cup? I assumed MyCrazyHouse was thinking of raw eggs, as in cracking them on the bowl to add to a mix or on the side of a pan to fry or scramble. I could be wrong on either count, of course...

You people use a knife and fork to eat pancakes when you are at home? :confused1: :ohmy:

Rosie

When they're fresh? Yes. After they've been in the fridge and we're just at them for a snack, no, they get folded and eaten. Sometimes we even put PB&J or cream cheese inside, depending on the type of pancake *slurp*

Oh! And I pour, so I can see how much syrup I used before it soaks into the more porous pancake innards, and then cut. I used to dip, but for some reason I seemed to always run out of syrup that way. I do not when I pour, even when it's the same amount. Call me weird *shrug*

Dh spreads his pancakes TONS of peanut butter, then covers with syrup, cuts, and eats.

I put a blob of peanut butter on the side of my plate, cover my pancakes with syrup, scoop some peanut butter with my fork, then use the peanut-buttery fork to cut off a piece of pancake.

Pancake-eating is serious business in our house!

When the dc were toddlers, I would cut up their pancakes prior to adding the syrup. Now that we all have table manners -- in theory, that is -- we add the syrup before cutting. Nobody uses butter. (Our theory is that if a bread product is any good, it stands on its own and does not need butter to disguise the flavor. Syrup, though, has its own rules !)

Poll did not ask this -- but we use only 100% maple syrup.

:smilielol5:

Was Swift, perchance, envisioning hard cooked eggs, eaten out of an egg cup? I assumed MyCrazyHouse was thinking of raw eggs, as in cracking them on the bowl to add to a mix or on the side of a pan to fry or scramble. I could be wrong on either count, of course...

Soft boiled are eaten in an egg cup. With a spoon. And it is obvious that the larger end is appropriate for that. How on earth would one daintily dip their toast through the small end?? :D

Yes, I was thinking of cracking raw eggs, not gaining access to soft boiled.

and for the reply that would explain how you can cut and pour at the same time.

:lol::lol::lol: You know, I see an experiment in the making. Perhaps an on the spot lesson in coordination. I'll bet there is someone out there that could do that. Let's see, if you could cut a soft pancake with one hand and pour from a small pitcher with the other. Defnitely doable if you're ambidextrous or have mixed dominance, or if you've spent years playing the piano or organ and have good hand separation...

The pancakes get soggy if you pour the syrup on top; so I do neither of the above. I pour it onto another plate and dip! I started this when I was a kid. I also prefer this because I don't always want syrup on every bite. I always thought I was the only one who did it this way, so I'm happy to see that I'm not alone!

I'd forgotten that, since we don't make wheat pancakes anymore (for all you born and raised in the US, but wheat I don't mean whole wheat, or partially whole wheat, just any flour made from wheat even if it's white ;)). When I make buckwheat pancakes with only buckwheat flour and no eggs or milk, the syrup never makes them soggy. Well, at least not at the various speeds my dc eat them, and one of them is a slow eater.

How do you eat them?? And, we cut then pour Agave syrup for my son... I don't just love 'em.

Carrie

Rolled, with the filling dripping down our sleeves, of course! I didn't know there was any other way!

Ok, I did. I use a knife and fork down at the pancake parlour :)

Rosie