Menu

Thinking of getting a second puppy . . . am I crazy?

Ok, Hive Mind canine experts . . . I need some advice here. :) Sorry, this ended up being long.

We had a collie for ten years. Loved her to death; she was pretty much Lassie personified. She died of cancer this January.

After grieving for several months, we began looking into getting another collie. No other breed will do for us, I'm afraid . . . DH and I just love them that much.

We had to work with the Hawaii quarantine laws, which basically prohibit the importing of dogs from the mainland U.S. without an extremely long lead time. So we got to know an Australian collie breeder, and are getting a male collie puppy from her at the end of July. He will be about 16 weeks old at the time. (Australia is also rabies-free, so we can import pets from Australia into Hawaii without quarantine.)

There is literally one collie breeder in Hawaii at the moment, and she told me yesterday that she is expecting a litter in another month or so. Both DH and I are tempted to get a female from this litter. Why we both independently got this idea, I'm not sure. Maybe because we've missed our collie terribly, or maybe because our eldest daughter is about to leave for college? :confused:

The issue is that I have *never* had more than one dog at a time, and I'm worried about feeling overwhelmed. I know that when you go from one child to two, it's not twice the work . . . it feels more like three to four times the work/stress. Is it that way with getting two dogs as well?

Also, do you have any advice as to what we should be looking for in a second dog, assuming we go ahead with this idea? My understanding is that dogs of different genders are probably a better idea than two dogs of the same sex. Is a four-five month age difference enough? (I've also heard not to get two dogs from the same litter, as they tend to stay overly bonded to each other.)

Any thoughts to share would be most appreciated. Talk to me straight - whether it be to encourage me or to talk me down. :D Thank you!

I like having at least 2 dogs--especially since I like medium to large breeds.

We currently have 2 young German Shepherds. They are 2yrs and 1 yr. While we now have 2 males, I think I prefer the male/female set we had before.

My two have such different personalities/abilities. The younger one has his good citizenship title and is now a therapy dog--we may even do search and rescue with him...the older dog just chases squirrels...

If you can survive the 'potty training' weeks with 2 I think you will end up with well balanced dogs--they really need 'doggy' friends. It will be a HUGE amount of work for those few months though...

Also, get a dog trainer as soon as possible--even if you know what you are doing. It is great to have that accountability.

Also know that if you get 2 at the same time they will bond HEAVILY to each other. Try to spend individual time with them each day (don't always walk them together...) so they share their pack bond with you and your husband as well.

Ok, Hive Mind canine experts . . . I need some advice here. :) Sorry, this ended up being long.

We had a collie for ten years. Loved her to death; she was pretty much Lassie personified. She died of cancer this January.

After grieving for several months, we began looking into getting another collie. No other breed will do for us, I'm afraid . . . DH and I just love them that much.

We had to work with the Hawaii quarantine laws, which basically prohibit the importing of dogs from the mainland U.S. without an extremely long lead time. So we got to know an Australian collie breeder, and are getting a male collie puppy from her at the end of July. He will be about 16 weeks old at the time. (Australia is also rabies-free, so we can import pets from Australia into Hawaii without quarantine.)

There is literally one collie breeder in Hawaii at the moment, and she told me yesterday that she is expecting a litter in another month or so. Both DH and I are tempted to get a female from this litter. Why we both independently got this idea, I'm not sure. Maybe because we've missed our collie terribly, or maybe because our eldest daughter is about to leave for college? :confused:

The issue is that I have *never* had more than one dog at a time, and I'm worried about feeling overwhelmed. I know that when you go from one child to two, it's not twice the work . . . it feels more like three to four times the work/stress. Is it that way with getting two dogs as well?

Also, do you have any advice as to what we should be looking for in a second dog, assuming we go ahead with this idea? My understanding is that dogs of different genders are probably a better idea than two dogs of the same sex. Is a four-five month age difference enough? (I've also heard not to get two dogs from the same litter, as they tend to stay overly bonded to each other.)

Any thoughts to share would be most appreciated. Talk to me straight - whether it be to encourage me or to talk me down. :D Thank you!

Well, we have three dogs, two of which are from the same litter. The one major thing that I saw was they were more difficult to house break with two. The up side is they keep each other company. They have both bonded to us and are really fun dogs.

Collies are big and need room but you already know that. I agree that they are awesome dogs well except for all that long hair.;)

Our Fox Terrier is 10 yo and our Rat Terrier is 3 yo. They play off & on all day together. I had 2 larger dogs years ago and they didn't play together (I think it's because the 2nd dog we got as an older dog).

I recommend having 2 dogs but DON'T get 2 puppies at the same time unless you want to be cleaning up lots of messes. House training a dog can be difficult. My fox terrier was EASY to house train because she was use to doing her business outside all the time. My rat terrier was in a pen in the house and did her business on paper - she was terrible to train.

I know that when you go from one child to two, it's not twice the work . . . it feels more like three to four times the work/stress. Is it that way with getting two dogs as well?

That's how it is in our house. We went from one to two and I couldn't believe how the dirt and dog hair multiplied.

We have a female shepherd/chow/lab mix (no short hair there) who was 7 when we ended up getting a 3 mo old male lab.

They are good for each other, he does try her patience at times, but that's more like a younger sibling getting on the nerves of an older one. It's also very interesting watching them together, dog interacting with dog, which is completely different from how they interact with humans. It's really fun to watch them groom each other and tend to any minor scrapes, etc. As my oldest ds says about his 2 dogs and 2 cats,"It's a beautiful thing, dog grooming dog, cat grooming cat, dog grooming cat, cat grooming dog. It's a shame people can't be more like that."

If, I'm reading your time line correctly, you should be done housebreaking the older dog by the time you get the pup. Yea, you'll be working on housebreaking for a few months, but perhaps the older one will get it quickly and can help train the younger.

I say go for it. Yes, there will be more work, more dirt, more hair; but think of it this way, it will be similar to have a toddler and a newborn at the same time. And it won't always be this way. They, like children, do grow up. The level of hair will stay the same, but the rambunctiousness will eventually settle down some.

I love having two dogs versus one dog.

Kinda like single child vs. having one with siblings.

I had a Norwegian Elkhound that was at age 4 like an old man. He adored people but was indifferent towards other dogs. I was convinced that he needed another dog "brother" to perk him up.

My elkhound was about 50 pounds and I bought home a 10 week old, 40 pound German Shepherd brother for him. Annoying as a puppy can be (and as big as him) and they were instant best friends. Best thing I could have done.

Just remember your new collie can never replace the one that died.

waiting at least 6 months in between puppies. Training is VERY difficult with 2 at once who bond to each other over their humans. They aren't easily going to listen to you if there is someone else to play with.

Also, please remember that taking care of a puppy is very different than taking care of a 10 yr old dog. One may be a big enough adjustment for you. I would really recommend getting one, bonding, getting him or her trained and then looking for a second when you are sure that it is the right thing for your family.

I had a Norwegian Elkhound that was at age 4 like an old man. He adored people but was indifferent towards other dogs. I was convinced that he needed another dog "brother" to perk him up.

My elkhound was about 50 pounds and I bought home a 10 week old, 40 pound German Shepherd brother for him. Annoying as a puppy can be (and as big as him) and they were instant best friends. Best thing I could have done.

Hmm....I've got multiple dogs, but an only child. She's 12 and quite lively; I"ve never felt the need to have another baby to "perk her up." :D

Since I"m in the minority here as a parent of an only by choice, I just felt the need to slip that in!

The dogs, on the other hand, are pack animals. They thrive with another of their species with whom to pal around. Right now we've got two.

Astrid

I have no advice on one or two dogs, but I do have a comment on neutering your Austrailian bred collie.

Because there is only one collie breeder in Hawaii, she might appreciate having a collie from another area to bring in new genes into her limited lines. I'd talk to her before neutering him.

I flew my English Shepherd male in from OK. Because the local breeder likes his lines, she's considering using him as a stud. Living on the mainland makes it easier to ship animals around for breeding, but it's still handy to have new blood locally. Our dog is currently 1.5 and is no problem as an intact male.

waiting at least 6 months in between puppies. Training is VERY difficult with 2 at once who bond to each other over their humans. They aren't easily going to listen to you if there is someone else to play with.

Also, please remember that taking care of a puppy is very different than taking care of a 10 yr old dog. One may be a big enough adjustment for you. I would really recommend getting one, bonding, getting him or her trained and then looking for a second when you are sure that it is the right thing for your family.

Hmmm, good points and definitely worth considering. Thanks!

My advice...truly...NO. I did this. I got my cocker spaniel from a breeder in December (a few years back). By that March, I wanted another puppy. I got the 2nd puppy and it was a nightmare. The two dogs loved each other...but trying to potty train two puppies, dealing with two puppies chewing, etc. It was HELL. It ended in me re-homing one of the dogs (which breaks my heart to this day). Mine were boy/girl. However, cockers are hard to housebreak, etc and that may be part of the problem. My oldest ds's dad got 2 Great Danes at the same time and never had a problem (except that he has over 300 pounds of dog in his house now!)

I would get the first pup over the hump of puppyhood before considering a new pup. Just my BTDT advice.

I have no advice on one or two dogs, but I do have a comment on neutering your Austrailian bred collie.

Because there is only one collie breeder in Hawaii, she might appreciate having a collie from another area to bring in new genes into her limited lines. I'd talk to her before neutering him.

I flew my English Shepherd male in from OK. Because the local breeder likes his lines, she's considering using him as a stud. Living on the mainland makes it easier to ship animals around for breeding, but it's still handy to have new blood locally. Our dog is currently 1.5 and is no problem as an intact male.

It's funny you should mention that, Kathy. I actually talked to the Hawaii collie breeder yesterday, and she is horrified that we are getting a collie from Australia. There are slight differences in the breed standard in both countries, with each country of course thinking that "their" way is the obviously correct one. ;)

In fairness, most of the pitiful pet shop dogs in Hawaii are imported from Australia. Hawaii is so desperate for dogs that Australia puppy mills have an easy market for their puppies. :( My vet was also initially worried that I would be getting a collie from Australia for that reason, because their office has seen many sad, unhealthy puppy mill dogs from that country.

We are proud of the collie we are getting. He actually comes from one of Australia's very top collie kennels, and both his parents are champions. Mum is actually a grand champion, in fact, and dad just got a top honor at their Australian collie specialty show a month ago. We're not buying him to show him, though; we just want a top quality dog who has been bred with an eye toward excellent health and disposition. We might do rally or obedience work with him. We've fallen in love with the Australian breeder and had several lovely conversations with her, and are convinced she is the "real deal".

So in short, Kathy, I think you made an excellent point. We think he is likely to be a great addition to any gene pool (assuming he were to pass his hip tests, etc.) But I'm afraid the Hawaii breeder views our new little collie a bit differently than we do, and might not quite see him the same way.

Edited by LynnG in Hawaii

My advice...truly...NO. I did this. I got my cocker spaniel from a breeder in December (a few years back). By that March, I wanted another puppy. I got the 2nd puppy and it was a nightmare. The two dogs loved each other...but trying to potty train two puppies, dealing with two puppies chewing, etc. It was HELL. It ended in me re-homing one of the dogs (which breaks my heart to this day). Mine were boy/girl. However, cockers are hard to housebreak, etc and that may be part of the problem. My oldest ds's dad got 2 Great Danes at the same time and never had a problem (except that he has over 300 pounds of dog in his house now!)

I would get the first pup over the hump of puppyhood before considering a new pup. Just my BTDT advice.

Rebecca, thank you for sharing. That would definitely be my fear. I'm sorry you had to go through that experience and emotional trauma.

My family had exactly one cocker spaniel, when I was about 12 years old. We could *not* housebreak that dog, and eventually my parents decided to rehome her with a family who lived on a farm. Apparently my dad checked in with them about 10 years later, and that cocker still was not housebroken. :lol:

I like having at least 2 dogs--especially since I like medium to large breeds.

We currently have 2 young German Shepherds. They are 2yrs and 1 yr. While we now have 2 males, I think I prefer the male/female set we had before.

My two have such different personalities/abilities. The younger one has his good citizenship title and is now a therapy dog--we may even do search and rescue with him...the older dog just chases squirrels...

If you can survive the 'potty training' weeks with 2 I think you will end up with well balanced dogs--they really need 'doggy' friends. It will be a HUGE amount of work for those few months though...

Also, get a dog trainer as soon as possible--even if you know what you are doing. It is great to have that accountability.

Also know that if you get 2 at the same time they will bond HEAVILY to each other. Try to spend individual time with them each day (don't always walk them together...) so they share their pack bond with you and your husband as well.

I should have posted yesterday, Jann, to thank you for your reply. Excellent advice! I already have a trainer scheduled to arrive to work with us, even though I "think" I already know a lot about dog training.

Thanks again, and thank you also to all who have replied!! Any additional thoughts are welcome. :)

Oh, I loved your story! :) Glad it worked out so perfectly for your family.

And you're certainly right about our late collie. Sigh. Well, we just have to be thankful for the wonderful ten years we had with her. That's how life goes, as we all know.

We had a male who was wonderful until we brought a second male into the house. I would not recommend two males. Perhaps two males are fine, but in our case the combination did not work well.

I think I've seen this situation at least a few times on the TV show "It's Me or the Dog". That's definitely what I would be worried about!