Menu

Sol y viento

Has anyone used this curricula? it is by the author of Destinos and looks pretty good. Right now we're using Destinos streaming shows, Sr. Jason YouTube videos and the SYRWTLS book. I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed with SYRWTLS. I've only gotten to the 2nd chapter, but the vocabulary is very "schoolish" and I really am not getting the lessons. I'm fluent so it isn't an issue of not understanding. Also, it is very "Spanish" and not real world language. We live in MExico and NO-ONE talks the way the kids are learning via SYRWTLS.

Here is a sample chapter of Sol y Viento...I need to look into this more, but it looks like they offer online stuff too...

• 2 weeks later...

and it is fine. If you've used Destinos, you'll find that the themes in Sol y Viento are not as mature as they are in that. It was an interesting story, includes a springboard for cultural discussion about the indigenous people of Chile and provides great opportunity to hone listening skills.

I am looking at the online helps, too. It is worth a try. :thumbup:

I'm pretty disappointed with SYRWTLS. Also, it is very "Spanish" and not real world language. We live in MExico and NO-ONE talks the way the kids are learning via SYRWTLS.

Well, It is real world language for over 40 million people in Spain. We are not the largest Spanish speaking country by any means, but please don't discount us completely. We still exist.

I also have to say that the regional variety of Spanish spoken in Mexico is just that, one of many regional varieties of Spanish, it is not representative of the entire Spanish speaking world. I would say the Spanish varieties spoken in Venezuela or Colombia, for example, have more in common with European Spanish than with Mexican Spanish. It's all about the contact Mexican Spanish has with US English and the indigenous languages originally found there.

Although I have to say that since you live in Mexico it probably does not make sense using a SYRWTLS. Still, the standard language is the same. I learned English in the UK and still manage to communicate pretty effectively in the US, athough I am still learning some of the differences.