Menu

Timeline ideas: homemade & not wall-based?

SFKC

Hello everyone,

I am pulling my 7 year old daughter from public school to homeschool this fall -- and brimming with questions for this rich community. Thank you in advance for your counsel!

My first question concerns creating a homemade timeline that isn’t wall-based… Has anyone found success with continuous paper roll ‘scroll’ or an accordion-fold book?

We want to track history, science, and artistic advances across the decades simultaneously, but I’m having difficulty envisioning how this could work well absent a big blank wall… (we have a small flat with little space for displaying).

Thank you so much!

(Photos of your fabulous systems would be deeply appreciated too)

Kelly

Hi Kelly. We ended up buying a wall timeline for our den, but I was seriously toying with a scroll. The paper ones would rip eventually, so I went to WalMart and checked out their rolls of drawer liners. They have these awesome white drawer liner rolls that are non-adhesive, they're more like a soft foam. They'd be so durable and sharpies would write on them, and I'm sure Elmer's Liquid Cement glue would hold pictures/stickers. I really, really liked the idea of using those! And they're cheap, too! Personally, I prefer all on one wall first, if that doesn't work, then a scroll. If it's in a binder, it's hard to see history at a glance, kwim? I'm a pretty visual person, so seeing it all at once is important to me.

Have fun brain storming! :001_smile:

When my son was around that age, we used yarn & 3x5 cards. I know that sounds a bit strange, but I didn't want to deal with so much paper, however wanted him to visually see the length of time.

Since we were only studying one time period, I took a long piece of yarn and just divided the centuries by tying knots in the yarn and dangled a small piece of paper with the year (probably 1x1) from it.

After each event he learned, he illustrated it on the 3x5 card and I wrote on the back. Then he would punch a hole at the top of the card, and attach it to the appropriate place with a piece of yarn onto the long "timeline" yarn. If more than one thing happened, he would tape the card, right below each other.

It worked great, especially because we could put it away and pull it out.

I hope that makes sense.

Happy Homeschooling!

Edited by jadedone80

I must add that we did do a new timeline each year, just focusing on the period we were studying since it gets pretty chaotic after awhile.

He has his Book of Wonders that ties it all together that he makes entries in every now and then.

When my son was around that age, we used yarn & 3x5 cards. I know that sounds a bit strange, but I didn't want to deal with so much paper, however wanted him to visually see the length of time.

Since we were only studying on time period, I took a long piece of yarn and just divided the centuries by tying knots in the yarn and dangled a small piece of paper with the year (probably 1x1) from it.

After each event he learned, he illustrated it on the 3x5 card and I wrote on the back. Then he would punch a hole at the top of the card, and attach it to the appropriate place with a piece of yarn onto the long "timeline" yarn. If more than one thing happened, he would tape the card, right below each other.

It worked great, especially because we could put it away and pull it out.

I hope that makes sense.

Ooh, I remember doing that in elementary school - we had to make a timeline of our lives using pictures and 3x5 cards. Hmm...

One year, we used a scroll of paper. We drew a line down the middle and put year markers on it. We, too, lacked wall space (too many bookshelves:)), so, we used a stairway wall. We used timeline figures from Uncle Josh's book as well as made our own. It worked well.

Now, we use the timelines in the back of the History Portfolios (just because we are using that product and it comes with it.) They are a little more compact - only about 4 feet long. You have to write small:).

I just debated this exact thing a while back. I decided to purchase the Record of Time from Homeschool in the Woods. I bought the CD with all the timeline figures, and the CD version of the book and just had the books printed out at Staples (they turned out beautifully). I'm going to have the books spiral bound at Staples as well (instead of a binder).

I'm over the moon excited and happy with this much-agonized decision. lol

Not enough wall space low enough down for a good timeline!

We opted for the Wonders of Old CD. This allowed us to print out double page spreads of timelines from ancients through moderns, in 8 1/2 by 11 format, which we then put in page protectors in a binder. That way if someone makes a mistake, we can just reprint that one page and put it back in, but the pages don't rip as you're flipping through them. This approach does have some drawbacks in that you can't get the same view of an overall period that way, but it has worked out really well for us.

Wonders of Old also comes as a lovely bound book, but again, we were afraid of mistakes ruining it so we didn't go that way.

We also like the game, "Perspective." This has been gentle way to learn the relative dates of different historical events, putting them into context. I found that DD was not really getting that information clearly from her timeline work as it was too piecemeal, and so the game is a good reinforcement.

Our timeline is super-simple.

We used yahoo.images.com and some of the free timeline pics from Hannah's Homeschool Helps (a yahoo group), and glued them into a book made with 12x18 white construction paper (100 years per page, line drawn down the center) and bound with notebook rings. This was for Medieval/Ren (Year 2 of the 4 year rotation).

We can unbind the pages at lay them out in order to see the whole line.

This year we'll do the same, but make a book that's every 10 years per page, because we are only dealing with about 250 years instead of 1200 years.