Menu

How would you punish a 6yo boy who mooned...

After I got done smirking to myself over the antics of little boys -- I think I'd ground him for a couple of days, plus I'd ask dh talk to him "man to man". Obviously your ds was seeking attention and testing the waters of how far he could go -- which is pretty normal for a 6 yo. But it can't go unchecked. 6 yos do need to understand their boundaries.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

My 6 yo has NO shame. He just doesn't seem to "get" that it's not a good thing to walk around naked. He wears clothes just because I make him.

The other day he sort of mooned someone. He kept his clothes on, but turned his little butt toward them and thought it was hilarious.

At that point I had to sit him down and explain that we don't do that. He was puzzled and seems to take my word on it, but it's not really internalized yet. He just doesn't see what the big deal is.

So, I'm not sure I'd punish my son. I guess I would, but only so that my admonitions (to stay clothed in public!) are heeded. However, you might want to assess whether or not your son understands that what he did isn't acceptable. If he's not quite convinced (because he's still innocent about being naked) then you might not want to be too harsh. Just harsh enough so he will take you seriously and not do it again.

Yeah, on second thought...I think I'd give a time out instead of grounding him for two days. That was a bit harsh. But I'd still ask DH to have a little manly kind of chat with him.

I raised three sons and had to deal with this sort of thing frequently, but since they are older now I honestly can't remember what I did do. :lol:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thanks everyone, I very much appreciate the advice!

He is kind of impulsive and he thinks potty humor is - well, he thinks there is nothing funnier. :sneaky2: I did forget to mention that he originally lied about it (so he knew it was wrong) he said his pants were too loose and they just fell down. :001_huh: Then he told me the truth (through little tears) when I pressed.

He was punished for the lying and I wanted to keep that separate from the act which I think needs a punishment but I want him to understand why he can't do it and I wasn't sure how hard I should be with this.

I just had a terrible thought that maybe this is not the first time he has done this but the first time someone told on him.

I wouldn't punish him at all. We'd simply discipline (discuss why that behavior isn't allowed...ideally getting HIM to talk more than us) <shrug>. If there was any indication that he didn't totally "get it" then part of the logical consequence would be that he obviously needs more supervision. I can't imagine punishing for such childishness.

Same here. I wouldn't discipline, just discuss that we don't do that. Of course, we're a bit relaxed about that sort of thing IN THE FAMILY. This is definitely a different situation because the girls weren't part of your immediate family.

Boys are boys and just need direction regarding what is appropriate.

i wouldn't punish for something like this, but use it as a teaching opportunity.

i would talk in terms that a 6 yo boy could understand about respecting our bodies --very important--and respecting others right *not* to see our bodies--also very important. i'd talk about body boundaries and privacy issues for both him and others.

i would talk about why butts are indeed funny--it's important to acknowledge this. But i'd stress how we need to control our impulses and why showing your body parts to someone else in this manner is not truly funny, though it may seem so on the surface.

i'd also ask why he did this, why he thought of it, where he got the idea, etc.

I think this would fall under our new house rule (thanks to a friend): potty humor is only used in the bathroom.

If you want to talk about the various subtopics of potty humor, you have to go into the bathroom. If you want to drop trou' and stick your bum around, you have to go into the bathroom. That rather takes the fun out of it.

I suspect he knew it was wrong because you asked him about it, but didn't give it much thought before that. I would definitely address the lying, though.

Well, once I composed myself after turning around and giggling, I would explain that that behavior is simply not acceptable and why. When we were kids it really wouldn't have been a huge deal but nowdays he is liable to get in trouble for sexual harrasement. Ask me how I know. My son did this at the exact same age and was visited by two police officers later than day because the little girl's parents called the police. :glare: As far as I know, he has never done that again. The lying on the other hand would be a problem that required disapline.

He was punished for the lying and I wanted to keep that separate from the act which I think needs a punishment but I want him to understand why he can't do it and I wasn't sure how hard I should be with this.

I don't punish my kids for lying because I think it discourages them from later telling the truth. I know that as a child I sometimes felt threatened when I was confronted about something I had done wrong and would lie because I was afraid. My parents finally figured out that it worked best to tell me, "In 15 minutes I want to talk to you about xyz," thereby giving me some time to compose myself.

My son, in particular, lies because he fears getting in trouble. He is currently suffering the consequences of a string of lies by not being trusted. I have spoken with him several times, when he is upset about not being believed, that he has taught me not to believe him and that it will take some months of zero lying for me to learn that I can believe him.

Anyway, on your original question, if this is the first time you know of that he has mooned someone, and you have not previously discussed the issue, I would simply make plain to him that mooning is unacceptable and tell him what the consequence will be if he does it again. If he does it again, lower the boom. With my son, sending him to bed immediately, regardless of the time of day, works wonders.

Tara

I've had good results with having DS be the one to have to explain to Daddy what happened when Daddy gets home. Confession is good for the soul, right? ;)

Seriously, DS does know when he's done wrong, and if he's scolded he gets mad but mostly b/c he knows the person scolding is right. When he's been in trouble at school, he's very eager to tell me the second he gets home, just to get it overwith. He always wants me to be the one to tell Daddy. I've started making him do it- I'll stay there with him, and I'll ask questions if necessary to get the whole story out. It helps that DH is very good about listening calmly but disapprovingly, and then asking things like "what should you have done..."

A written apology to the girls? We've just started using this with 6yo dd, and it seems to be helpful because she has to think about what to say - to figure out what exactly was wrong and why. I usually require 3 sentences, basically: "I'm sorry I xxxxx. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings/body/whatever. I'll do better in the future."

Let's see, since it's a potty-type offense, I would send him to sit in the bathroom for as long as it took me to stop laughing and be able to address him with a straight face. He could be in there a while for that...

I'm not really sure what else I'd do, but I think the note of apology to the girls and perhaps their parents is a great idea. Or at least a knock-on-the-door and apologize. And he'd be warned that the next time he exposed his fanny, there would be direct consequences, kwim?

I understand that these things can be kind of funny. But that doesn't detract from the fact that they are inappropriate and likely to upset certain people.

I would call the parents of the kids involved and find a time when both parents will be home so that my son could apologize to the parents and the girls.

But that's it.

Beyond "Don't do that again!" probably nothing unless he did it a second time. I might ask him where he learned about mooning.

At six I don't see it as that big a deal and mine is 7 in two weeks.

:iagree: I would be a bit stern, and I would point out the person he learned it from was nearly two years younger than him, and was that really something worth emulating?

Kiddo recently has been exposed to children who "point" at people with their covered backsides and make gas noises....a sort of "I poop on you" reference. My guy did it once in front of me, and luckily has either taken the above comment to heart, or gotten so sneaky about it, it shows me he does have a sense of decorum and probably won't do it where it would be socially inappropriate.