Menu

Good sources of breakfast protein?

Other than eggs, bacon, ham, and sausage? :tongue_smilie: I don't mind doing these occasionally, but a steady diet of them is not good, I know.

I can't do fruit smoothies with protein powder because DD is allergic to fruit. I can't do anything with nuts because she's also allergic to them.

Any ideas?

Eggs are quite healthy, imo. You get a lot of nutrition for your calories.

Yogurt - - check the label for higher protein and lower sugar.

Don't restrict yourself to 'breakfast foods.' My kids eat all sorts of things for breakfast, often leftovers from supper. If she doesn't like to nosh on spaghetti and meatballs in the AM, consider using just the meat from a previous meal combined with toast, etc.

Chicken breast is easy to cook ahead and is very mild in smell and taste, so a good choice for non-adventerous breakfast eaters.

You can make non-fruit smoothies with any flavor yogurt or 'instant breakfast' packet and add extra protein powder if needed. If you allow chocolate milk, just add ice and blend for a chocolate smoothie (my kids love this), and of course you can add protein powder.

We do wraps with shrimp. In a bowl, mix chopped tomato and cucumber, cooked shrimp and a little bit of mayonnaise with salt and pepper. Then just wrap it up in a whole grain tortilla. I sometimes include an omelette in the wrap, but you don't have to. If she can't have the tomatoes, you could substitute other salad.

Laura

I'd love to see lots of ideas on this thread. My oldest son MUST have protein early in the morning. We have fresh eggs and he loves them but it's hard to come up with other ideas. He would eat bacon everyday if I'd let him, but I know he doesn't need that.

eggs and quinoa (a grain). I saute some raw veggies in a touch of olive oil (non-stick pan) and then scramble eggs in it. I dump this over a pile of quinoa, pour salsa on the top and yum! I eat this every morning.

Quinoa is also good by itself with a little butter and/or honey. This is how my kids eat it. A 1/4 cup, precooked, contains 6g protein, 3g fiber, iron phosphorus, and riboflavin. I think I've read that it is a complete protein, and it has a low glycemic index.

If you want to avoid the yolks in eggs, but still have flavor, scramble black beans with egg whites and add salsa on top when it's done cooking.

Happy breakfasting!

I'm watching this thread with interest. I have the same struggle at my house, except my ds7 is severely allergic to eggs and dairy, and mildly allergic to peanuts and almonds. His morning protein comes from cereal or bacon. I like the shrimp wrap idea (sans mayo, of course). And, he probably would eat spaghetti and meatballs for breakfast.

My kids like oatmeal with protein powder added.

Wraps of ham and cheese melted are good too.

Waffles dipped in yogurt. Is she allergic to all nuts? No different nut butters would work? My kids like Nutella on a whole wheat flax waffle. (But Nutella is like frosting, so it's saved for a special treat only)

Sub out bacon and sausage for Canadian bacon. Much lower in fat and you can find nitrate free.

Make "egg in a hole" - which is like French toast.

Or grilled cheese sandwiches. Those would be good for b.fast.

Make oatmeal with milk or add powdered milk to the oatmeal. The rest of the family can add pecans to their oatmeal while your son has a cheese stick, peanut butter toast or an egg with his. Add ground flax seed and wheat germ to the oatmeal as well.

Other than eggs, bacon, ham, and sausage? :tongue_smilie: I don't mind doing these occasionally, but a steady diet of them is not good, I know.

I can't do fruit smoothies with protein powder because DD is allergic to fruit. I can't do anything with nuts because she's also allergic to them.

Any ideas?

My son likes summer sausage for breakfast. I like to do bean and egg burritos or just bean burritos. I have been making granola which is heavy on seeds, cashews, and sunflower seed and eating it with rice milk. My oldest is a fan of sunbutter and jam sandwiches for breakfast. Sunbutter and cracker is also popular. I often make pancakes, muffins, or even doughnuts and fortify them with protein powder.

Some ideas:

Veggie sausage

French toast or pancakes with protein powder or soy flour added to the mix. You can make pancakes to suit just about any allergy. I usually make ours with no egg, pour out DD's, then mix in an egg to make mine. Unless we're out of eggs, of course. There are several substitutes that can make a passable french toast with no eggs or dairy. www.vegweb.com is bound to have recipes. Using protein-enriched bread for things is also good.

We like sunflower seed butter on various things--bagels, crackers, etc. It's a good alternative for people with peanut/nut allergies.

We tend to do carb-prominent breakfasts around here. Protein comes in with mid-morning snacks and lunch. Unless, of course, I cook bacon, in which case DD will eat a pound in a sitting, I swear!

You can also make breakfast burritos with various things. Sometimes I make a tofu scramble with tomato, bell pepper, onion, garlic, ginger if I have it. It's good wrapped in a tortilla, together with potatoes, or both. Soyrizo is good to put with it if you want a lower-fat alternative to chorizo and eggs.

Edited to add: Another good thing for breakfasts on the go is "fighter biscuits". Use the biscuit dough of your choice (I usually make whole wheat from scratch), and cut in sausage or veggie sausage, cheese, and any seasonings you'd like (garlic, sage, etc.). Bake. They're great for shoving some protein in. We enjoy them when camping especially, but also for busy mornings. I'll make batches ahead, freeze, then just toss them in the oven as needed.

Also, you can put just about anything in a muffin. I've been known to shred carrots, zuchinni, etc. for muffins. Muffins can be made with no egg or dairy easily, and you can again add protein powder or soy flour to the batter. Many muffin recipes can also have the sugar/sweetener cut by about 1/3 w/o messing them up.

Edited by Ravin