Menu

Pay pal has me very angry right now

I sold several items on ebay just the way I have in the past. Had NO idea PayPal had changed anything except that they are charging fees. NO, I had to be wrong. They hold the money for confirmation of shipping and arrival. So, the person has to give me positive feedback, wait 30 days without an dispute, or it has to be proven to be delivered in order to get my money where I can use it. I understand it protects the buyer, so they get their stuff, but UGH! I had auction I bid on knowing I had money coming and now I have to wait to pay until that money clears. I shipped all the stuff today, so hopefully it will free up some soon.

This is aggravating. You can get your money quicker though if you print a paypal label for postage. If you do that, you will get your money as soon as the post office says it's been delivered. I know that doesn't help you this time, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Lisa

I didn't sell on ebay for a long time and then when I did start again, paypal did that to me too. Now that I've been back in the game, they have been giving me my cash immediately. I bet after dealing with this 2 or 3 times you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I think they also do it to people who are known to ship slow or have bad feedback on ebay.

This is aggravating. You can get your money quicker though if you print a paypal label for postage. If you do that, you will get your money as soon as the post office says it's been delivered. I know that doesn't help you this time, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Lisa

I did do this. Thank goodness! However, it is still a pain in the patootie!

With such restrictive policies, you might as well say check or money order only on your sale page.... then you mail it when money had cleared your bank (only a few days). If they have a dispute, Ebay can handle it with you.

PayPal has been greedy for some time.... the fees often killed my little ebay profits on small items.... maybe it is time to stop using them.

Even though it is a "one-woman, teacup-sized protest", I refuse to purchase anything from any seller who requires me to use PayPal. PayPal has NO BUSINESS knowing my checking account number, nor any right to provide me with an "allowance" based on MY existing money. I have not used PP in years.

When did this all start? I just sold a LFC package on ebay last week and right after they paid I transferred the money out of the account with no problems. Did this just start this week?

I don't know. I know it is only over a certain $$$ amount. My lowest earning was $55. I am still upset about it and do not think I will use PP anymore.

I don't know. I know it is only over a certain $$$ amount. My lowest earning was $55. I am still upset about it and do not think I will use PP anymore.

That seems so weird, my the total of my sale was $75 and I had no problems getting the money right away.

I hope things clear for you quickly and thanks for the heads up about it all so I can be more prepared if I ever use ebay again.

That seems so weird, my the total of my sale was $75 and I had no problems getting the money right away.

I hope things clear for you quickly and thanks for the heads up about it all so I can be more prepared if I ever use ebay again.

I was just reading over the details again and it says only purchases over $100 unless you have a 5% negative feddback score on ebay. I have 100% positive on ebay. I am calling paypal now.

When we sold some items on ebay via paypal a few years ago, a couple of months later Paypal deducted money from our checking account to refund the purchase price, because the 'buyer' had supposedly committed fraud by charging the credit card they used. So we were out our item AND the money. I have not wanted to use Paypal since then, but have used it to purchase things.

With such restrictive policies, you might as well say check or money order only on your sale page.... then you mail it when money had cleared your bank (only a few days). If they have a dispute, Ebay can handle it with you.

Ebay is now paypal only. Sellers are not supposed to take any other form of payment. (I think there are some exceptions on big-ticket items, though)

If they see that you are taking check/MO, they will cancel your listing :(

Of course, they may not see it, and some sellers still do it... It's just a risk because if they cancel your listing, they still get their money for the listing fee.

I quit selling on ebay a few months ago. Their policy changes and fees were getting to be too much.

When we sold some items on ebay via paypal a few years ago, a couple of months later Paypal deducted money from our checking account to refund the purchase price, because the 'buyer' had supposedly committed fraud by charging the credit card they used. So we were out our item AND the money. I have not wanted to use Paypal since then, but have used it to purchase things.

A similar situation happened to me a year or so ago. I fought with Paypal and was able to get my money back after several weeks. I still use their services, but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

A similar situation happened to me a year or so ago. I fought with Paypal and was able to get my money back after several weeks. I still use their services, but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

This happened to me twice while selling on ebay. The first time, paypal put a hold on my account for the amount in the dispute. Shortly after, though, they released the hold because I had done nothing wrong in shipping to the confirmed address provided by paypal and had use paypal shipping so that I had a tracking #.

The other time it happened, someone filed a dispute the next day after purchasing. When I told them that I had not yet shipped the item, the buyer's story suddenly changed and they had somehow "accidentally" filed the dispute, but they did still want the item. They canceled the dispute and paypal released the hold, so I shipped. No other problems from that transaction, except that they didn't leave any feedback.

Wow, I had no idea that the sellers might not receive their money quickly if buyers haven't posted feedback for them. I'm usually pretty good about posting feedback, but I've been busy lately and I know I must have at least 5 feedbacks to post. I'll be sure to do it today -- all of the sellers were excellent, and I would hate to think I might be holding up their payment.

Thanks for all of the info on the new PayPal policies!

Cat

That happened to me last year when I was selling curriculum! I was so angry. My thought was, what if the buyer bought it, wasn't happy with it for whatever reason? All they would have to do is contact PayPal, and they could potentially keep the items (honestly, what recourse would I have?) and not pay. Fortunately that didn't happen, but I was not thrilled with the policy.

I could be wrong, but I think that you can only dispute if the item isn't sent. I've heard horror stories of items arriving in poor condition and buyer not being able to file because as long as the item arrived, it's all good in the eyes of Paypal.

I hate it too, but it's by far the most convenient way to buy/sell things on the net. Heck, I even use it to pay friends back for something I buy from them in person. It's just easier that way than to run to the atm, get cash and then hand it over.

That happened to me last year when I was selling curriculum! I was so angry. My thought was, what if the buyer bought it, wasn't happy with it for whatever reason? All they would have to do is contact PayPal, and they could potentially keep the items (honestly, what recourse would I have?) and not pay. Fortunately that didn't happen, but I was not thrilled with the policy.

PayPal has been greedy for some time.... the fees often killed my little ebay profits on small items.... maybe it is time to stop using them.

I recently tried to sell some books on Ebay asking that people use check or money order only. I had one buyer get quite nasty about it because she said it wasn't "safe" to do that and she only uses Paypal because it is the only "trustworthy" way to get her stuff.

She cancelled the transaction. The other buyer I had complained but did not cancel her transaction. She strongly suggested I only use Paypal from now on if I want to sell anything.

Dh won't let me get Paypal and now I am starting to wonder if he actually is the smart one??

Okay, I have been on the phone with both ebay and paypal today. They are now the SAME COMPANY! Hence, the reason you can ONLY use paypal now. They will not release the holds. I have done everything I know to do. I have fought with them for over 2 hours about this. They just keep rambling about protecting the buyer. I get that, but I have been a member since 2004 with 100% positive feedback.

Paypal will only do this hold in association with Ebay purchases, not other things. So, I will no longer sell through ebay, I will just use paypal for money transactions.

Holy smokes... talk about keeping you uninformed & out of the loop. That was YOUR money not theirs.

I recently tried to sell some books on Ebay asking that people use check or money order only. I had one buyer get quite nasty about it because she said it wasn't "safe" to do that and she only uses Paypal because it is the only "trustworthy" way to get her stuff.

She cancelled the transaction. The other buyer I had complained but did not cancel her transaction. She strongly suggested I only use Paypal from now on if I want to sell anything.

Dh won't let me get Paypal and now I am starting to wonder if he actually is the smart one??

I know and I bet these gals are using credit cards. However, DH shops on there often for truck & tractor parts.... it is very common for those guys to ask for money orders.

Always post in clearly in your description of product that you only accept money orders or checks... and will issue NO credit if they proceed to bid without acknowledging it.

PayPal is too expensive & has too many horror stories. Too bad for credit card junkies!;)

Paypal will only do this hold in association with Ebay purchases, not other things. So, I will no longer sell through ebay, I will just use paypal for money transactions.

Be sure to let EBAY know this! I have found myself using them less and amazon more to buy for many reasons.... but if they are getting tacky with the paypal stuff... they may lose more ground.

Let 'em know!

Okay, I have been on the phone with both ebay and paypal today. They are now the SAME COMPANY! Hence, the reason you can ONLY use paypal now. They will not release the holds. I have done everything I know to do. I have fought with them for over 2 hours about this. They just keep rambling about protecting the buyer. I get that, but I have been a member since 2004 with 100% positive feedback.

They've always been the same company. That's why I quit selling things on e-bay. They're basically charging you twice for the same service. I would try craigslist.

Blessings!

Dorinda

They've always been the same company.

They actually merged in 2002 I believe. I joined Paypal when it was new (and they were offering like $10 to join) and in the beginning (1999?) they weren't affiliated with Ebay.

They actually merged in 2002 I believe. I joined Paypal when it was new (and they were offering like $10 to join) and in the beginning (1999?) they weren't affiliated with Ebay.

You're right, I looked it up. But I didn't join ebay/paypal until 2003. Sorry!:D