Menu

3-4 hour dual credit course = .5 or 1 high school credit?

For those who have had dc take dual credit at the area college - do you count a 3-4 credit hour college course as .5 or 1 high school credit? Our homeschool accountability group used to call it as 1/2 credit but now call it as a complete high school credit.

I support this change but wondered what you guys do. Personally, I don't see where a 4 credit hour science lab course (requiring close to 6 hours of classtime/week) taken in a semester is any different from block scheduling that our area public high schools do thus I feel it most reasonable to count that semester college course as 1 high school course.

Hi Sharon,

My umbrella school here in CA counts CC semester courses as full year high school courses, with the exception of PE classes. If you have a student taking a semester science course with lab, it would certainly count as a year course in my opinion! Breathe easy on that one!

Blessings,

April

The dual enrollment office at the CC my dd attended had a list of which courses were 1 high school credit and which were 1/2.

Basically if the course covered the entire topic, i.e., Calculus, Biology, Creative Writing, it was considered 1 credit. If the topic was divided, i.e., American History until 1877 and American History after 1877, you needed both courses to equal a credit (each course worth 1/2).

We went the unusual route -- we counted one semester of a college class as 0.5 credits.

Why? Basically because none of the college classes my kids took (including the ones at W&M) took any more time than they put into any of their high school classes. We felt odd claiming that macroecon or calc 1 or whatever was 1 credit when the class took no more time than one semester of any of their other high school classes. We wanted out transcript to reflect the rigor of their high school program, so we were tough!

BTW, even though we claimed only 0.5 credit, my kids got "full" transfer credit at their college for the W&M classes.

JMHO!

It isn't so much about the time spent in class--college courses generally require a higher time commitment outside of class, so you could take a 3 cr CC course and go to class twice a week for an hour and a half each day, but have more homework. Doesn't always apply (and I appreciate Gwen's perspective), but generally that's the deal with giving one full year's high sch. credit for a semester CC course.

It isn't so much about the time spent in class--college courses generally require a higher time commitment outside of class, so you could take a 3 cr CC course and go to class twice a week for an hour and a half each day, but have more homework. Doesn't always apply (and I appreciate Gwen's perspective), but generally that's the deal with giving one full year's high sch. credit for a semester CC course.

:iagree:

And it's not just the total time (in and out of class) that should be factored in -- it's also the amount of material covered and the depth it's covered to. E.g. if a college history course covers the material in more depth than a HS history course, and expects deeper analysis and a higher quality of output from the student, then it should count as a full credit even if it only took the same amount of "time" as a 1 semester HS course.

Jackie