Menu

Help needed - large party, tight food budget!!

I am putting together a going away party for my girl... guest list is not finalized but could easily be 50...

This is a combination turning 18, graduating, going to college party... so it's a big deal and I want it to be special.

What can I serve that I can do in advance?

What can I serve that goes far and isn't as costly?

So far, I am thinking that over the next couple of weeks I can bake loaves of zucchini bread, put them in the freezer, then get them out for the party, slice and put on serving trays...

Would large bowls of macaroni salad and cracker trays work okay with that? What else? I don't want to grill meats and cook on that day because it's HOT here!!

Beverage ideas?? I am thinking coolers set out with water bottles and iced tea pitchers inside... but that sounds terribly boring...

And... would you send out paper invitations since it really is a big deal, and ask for an rsvp??

Thanks!!

For the drinks, see if a neighbor has a small kiddie pool and fill it with ice and the drinks. Then everyone can see what the choices are and no one is asking "where are the drinks?" all day.

For food, have make-your-own sandwiches. Get some hoagie rolls or other bread, and have trays of ham, turkey, cheese, etc. You don't have to get the expensive meats, just take it out of the package and put on a serving tray and it looks like it's fancy stuff.

Hope you have a great party!

Mac salad and cracker trays are great. Squares of some kind are a nice way to add sweets, even rice krispie treats which are cheap and easy to make, dress them up buy drizzling melted chocolate over them. shredded meat in the crockpot is a great idea. My sister likes to toss a box of frozen meatballs in the crockpot with sauce, and then makes a big batch of rice. People tend to take more rice than meatballs so it fills them up for cheap, but still gives them the feeling of eating a delicious meal. Chips or preztels are a good stand by to have out for people to munch on through out the party.

As for invitations, For graduating students I think Email invites would be fine. That is how we tend to plan parties around here, even big important ones (the exception was my moms 50th b-day). The cost of mailing 50+ invitations adds up, and really that money can be put towards the food budget. I say stick with email invites for this one.

For drinks, the idea of the kiddie pool is a great one. Iced tea is a favorite. ALso you can make a simple punch with pop and fruit juice, that is always a hit at our parties.

Make homemade refritos in advance and freeze them. Buy shredded sharp cheddar cheese, bug your friends for early ripe tomatoes, pick up some flour and corn tortillas at Costco, and you're all set. If you want to really go crazy, make masa mix up and encourage guests to make their own tortillas--fast and easy and SO good!

Then have a big green salad, a big fruit salad, and a main dish salad like macaroni or potato for those who don't like Mexican food. I usually make a simple dip from yogurt cheese mixed with chopped shallots and mint a couple of days in advance, and serve it with veggie slices--carrots, celery, cukes, red peppers, jicama, blanched and cooled pea pods.

Make lots of cookies in advance and freeze them. Brew coffee at 4X normal strength in advance, and then boil water that day to dilute and warm it up. Orange blossom punch is cheap and good--a liter of ginger ale, a half gallon of nonfat orange sherbet, and a quart of orange juice, with lots of ice. Very refreshing, and it looks like a lot of trouble but isn't!

Also consider nondairy bean (legume) salads, a cheap way to help fill folks up and another protein.

Three- or four-bean salad (green beans, yellow wax beans, kidney beans, garbanzos/chickpeas, sweet-tart dressing)

Oklahoma caviar (black-eyed peas, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno slices, sweet-hot dressing)

Italian black-eyed pea salad (black-eyed peas, onion, bell pepper, Italian seasonings, balsamic vinaigrette)

Also, pasta salad with LOTS of veggies, either fresh or roasted or blanched, and a yummy dressing.

Good luck! Sounds fun!

I am putting together a going away party for my girl... guest list is not finalized but could easily be 50...

This is a combination turning 18, graduating, going to college party... so it's a big deal and I want it to be special.

What can I serve that I can do in advance?

What can I serve that goes far and isn't as costly?

So far, I am thinking that over the next couple of weeks I can bake loaves of zucchini bread, put them in the freezer, then get them out for the party, slice and put on serving trays...

Would large bowls of macaroni salad and cracker trays work okay with that? What else? I don't want to grill meats and cook on that day because it's HOT here!!

Beverage ideas?? I am thinking coolers set out with water bottles and iced tea pitchers inside... but that sounds terribly boring...

And... would you send out paper invitations since it really is a big deal, and ask for an rsvp??

Thanks!!

Our son's graduation party was Saturday. We served cheese, beef summer sausage, and crackers; raw vegetables and dill dip; finger food fruit--cherries, fresh pineapple, clumps of grapes, and strawberries; nuts and mints and chips; lemonade and water. We ordered a sheet cake at Wal-Mart for $35. We served almost 70 people with lots of leftovers. Some of the other homeschoolers had kegs of rootbeer and soda on ice--but we weren't interested in that. LOL!

We sent out invitations to those who were not on the homeschool email list (relatives) because that is how everyone else did it here. :) We did ask for rsvp so that I had an idea of how many were coming.

HTH,

Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc