Menu

How to combine 3rd & 7th for History, Bible, etc

mamato4girls

Okay I think I finally have a decision, but I keep coming back to TOG. I now have a plan for my 9th grader, and I would love to combine my 7th and 3rd grader if possible. Of course they will do their own Math, Science, Lit, etc. But I would LOVE to combine History, Read-alouds, Bible.

Both of these girls like hands-on stuff.

I am torn between doing.....

Sonlight with them each in their own core.

MFW using Exploring Countries and Cultures

WP using Cultures around the World- but I have heard a lot of negative about WP's shipping :(

TOG the amount of planning scares me, altough I love to plan if that makes sense? Both girls are intrigued by Yr 3.

So my questions are..

Which makes the most sense academically combining this age spread without anyone missing anything or having it go above their head?

Is WP worth the trouble?

Is it that hard to use 3 cores from SL? (my 9th grader is doing the Lit from 200)

Is TOG REALLY that hard to plan, etc, etc?

Winter Promise is probably my last choice on the list, with TOG being 1st.

Thanks!!

I have a similar age spread and am using MFW Exploration to 1850 this coming year. I like the idea that Bible, art and music are integrated. I've heard that ECC is a great program, and you could supplement for your oldest with Book Basket choices you assign as independent reading, or with books chosen from great lists, like Sonlight Core 5 or WP. I have done one Sonlight core program and while we enjoyed it, I can't imagine doing three, though some people do it successfully. We've also used WP (AS2) and while it had lots of great books, it wasn't my favorite year. Bible wasn't integrated and it was a tad disjointed. I've not done TOG - looking at it at a convention made my head spin, LOL, that was as far as I got. :001_smile: Good luck!

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

So my questions are..

Which makes the most sense academically combining this age spread without anyone missing anything or having it go above their head?

Is WP worth the trouble?

Is it that hard to use 3 cores from SL? (my 9th grader is doing the Lit from 200)

Is TOG REALLY that hard to plan, etc, etc?

MFW is mentioned in there, but I'm not really sure whether you have any specific questions about MFW. If you do, I'd be glad to help you sort it out. I haven't used WP or TOG. My older dd used Sonlight 100 or 7 or whatever it's called for American History. My youngest has used MFW for 5 years & counting.

Julie