Menu

10 year old wanting to learn German

EmilyK

My son is interested in learning German. I remember almost nothing, so I'm no help. I found a tutor but I only think it is worth it if he is practicing/studying on his own between sessions. He's motivated.

So -- any recommendations of reasonably kid friendly CDs, computer programs etc.? Our library has Muzzy but we haven't tried it yet (on hold). Also have an audio Cd from the library (an adult learning German CD) which we're using but it is kind of boring to be the only thing. The tutor gave him some written vocab lists but I think he needs to be hearing and speaking as much as reading.

Thanks and thoughts welcome.

Thanks for your ideas. He's only had a few sessions. The tutor is used to tutoring adults and children whose parents are native speakers. She recommended the Usborne first 1000 words which I got from our library but can't now find.:tongue_smilie: She also gave him a folder full of photocopied word lists and similar papers that I need to look at since I got back from vacation. I think she seems good and very nice, but she doesn't really seem to have specified homework other than having him try to go over these sheets of vocab words. I'm trying to figure out a way to immerse him a bit more in between sessions. He's the kind of kid who's good at memorizing facts but not necessarily picking up on the pronunciation.

I may be overthinking this and focusing too much on the cost of tutoring. I wish I had found some way to combine with other kids so I wouldn't think about that, but I was just so glad to find a convenient tutor. Most people take Spanish here. A couple of years ago he really wanted to learn Japanese but that phase passed while I was struggling to find a tutor. :tongue_smilie: So I was glad to have something available for him here. She's open to him supplementing I think but she isn't able to suggest much, esp. in the CD or computer area.

Again, thanks.

I do not know if they upgraded the powerglide or not but we bought it in 2006 and it is just fluff sort of learning. If you got that version used or for a really great price then it would be fine but my daughter was through it at the age of 6 through ALL the levels. Now she uses it to teach her brother for the again extra fluff kind of learning. They enjoy it but it did not really teach them enough for the price.

Just my opinion, again though if they changed their versions since then I have no idea.

For complete beginners, it would be nice for a short time, but I would not recommend purchasing it. If you can get it from the library, great. Same for Power Glide.

Have you looked for a German Saturday school? They are all over the place, and typically teach kids at their own level, using texts that are used in Germany. Our local one meets from 9 to 12 on Saturdays. DD did it for a while, but then we found out that there is no local high school that teaches German, and the homework became really oppressive, and it didn't seem worthwhile anymore. Still, it was a great way to get an introduction to the language.

I have heard great things about Concordia Villages in MN. One of my most picky and protective friends sends her kids there for French. CV started with German and reputedly is very good at it.

After your dc have completed muzzy german or the like, then you might want to consider german children's videos from Amazon.de. Powerglide from k12 has a week long free trial from what I recall. Also, the following link has Tell Me More for free:

http://arlingtonlibrary.org/research/tellmemore.aspx

I have also tried LiveMocha which offers free course. I would only have dc do LiveMocha in your presence since their may be requests for instant messenging to carry on conversations in german, etc. from other users. I did not experience anything objectionable while using with my ds, but I think there exists the possibility so I chose to close the request windows from instant messages that occasionally popped up:)

This has all been really, really helpful.

He has asked for Rosetta Stone but it is expensive so I wanted to make sure he'd click with it. I think my mother may be able to get it from her library for a short time (not at our library) which might be helpful to determine if we should buy. I have a tendency to overpurchase.:001_smile:

We don't have powerglide at our library either, but I will investigate my mother's. I did find a lot of other audio CDs at our library so that may be good to try.

I love the idea about Saturday school. We have one but it is a little far, plus Saturday is grandparent's house for us. Still, might be good to try.

I've looked at Concordia. Has anyone done their family camps? My son's a little anxious about away camp by himself right now. I did find some summer camps (both day and away, but nearby) that we might try next summer (we're too booked for this summer).

Again thanks to all!