Menu

Why oh why do people write in library books?

I am tired of having to erase a bunch of pages of underlining and other comments made by some previous person. At least this time most of it was in pencil. I find it very distracting when I try to read a book that someone else wrote in already. :mad:

I know I donate books to my library. (Not that I mark up my books at all.) I'm wondering if some library books are donations from their members, who didn't predict it would end up at the library? I've read tons of kid's books where a grandma dedicated it to her grandchild. :)

I know there are those who mark up library books anyway though. I agree, what a pain.

I tend to get really annoyed with those who feel it is their duty in life to cross out every word they deem inappropriate throughout a book. Not that I really enjoy those words, but to be reading a book and then have a self-appointed censor interfere in the experience makes me want to scream!

I'm actually amused by the people who correct the grammar, spelling, typos in books.

Our library has a book sale room open twice a week and is constantly pulling children's books that are written in or torn or out of date. We've bought many wonderful books for 25cents that had a few scribbles in them. So I'd say we've been the beneficiary of other peoples bad behavior.

A total lack of respect for others...

Exactly.

They refuse to recognize that library books are not individual property. This reminds me of the heat I took on this board when I pointed out that library patrons are using community property and that planning to always have books be overdue (and there by also circumvent any wait lists) or never returning them displays a lack of respect and is poor citizenship and worse library manners. Deliberately abusing and defacing books is just more of the same attitude.

I am tired of having to erase a bunch of pages of underlining and other comments made by some previous person. At least this time most of it was in pencil. I find it very distracting when I try to read a book that someone else wrote in already. :mad:

Well, I take extensive notes in every book I own. Even fiction isn't likely to be pristine by the time I'm done with it. :) So, if something happens to me, and my family donates my large collection, there will be a lot of writing out there.

ONCE (exactly once!) I forgot the book I was reading was a library book, and began marking as I normally would to master the material. I paid for a full library edition to replace the book. And I stopped borrowing books I thought I'd want to learn from, and only borrow "fluff" books. LOL!