Menu

dd evaluation in reading reflex-any comments or advice?

Hi,

The last time I post I have been advice by Claire to try the evaluation in Reading reflex and to post the results.

On blending test, she had 13 words correct out of 15 words. Rate : low moderate

Phoneme test

She did poorly on it. I don't know whether it is because she do not understand my instructions or she really do not hear the difference. She has 30 points Rate : poor

Auditory processing test

She had 5 points Rate:low moderate.

At times she will answer incorrectly and then corrects herself. So do I checked it wrong based on the first response or right based on second response?

should she take the test again?

On the Code knowledge test she did very well . She had memorized most of the 72 phonograms so this comes easily for her. She scored 90% on this.

So ladies, where do I start from now? She is reading with some help from level 2 books but she get tired easily. I think she concentrate so hard that her brain get tired. She had reading glasses now just for reading. She is 8.

Now that we are encountering multisyllable words and this is where she trips up. I have some problems explaining to her how it works because I just know it. But for a child who has not seen the word before how can they break up the word into syllables to sound it out?

I checked out Barton reading and spelling video on the website that taught a bit on syllable and it made so much sense to me. I never knew there was open and closed syllable before this and how to explain to dd. I really do like it and the only thing that is hindering me is the price. But I am willing to go for it if this is what it takes. I am so tired of trying out so many reading programs with my dd (SSRW,Phonics Pathway,Phonics for reading and spelling -similar to SWR,WTR). I just want to get one program that will get her to read and not confused her anymore and myself too.

I am sorry for writing so long. Any Barton users out there to comment? Anyone else?

Thank you.

caryn

How old is your dd?

You don't need to give her the RR assessments again. The results show that she needs to work on improving her skills (not her code knowledge) -- especially the auditory processing. I would not move into multi-syllables until her skill levels in all three areas have improved.

The easiest way to do this is to use the exercises in Reading Reflex -- especially mapping (saying each sound as she writes each sound) and phoneme manipulation ("If this is 'blip', show me 'blap'.) Invest in a set of alphabet tiles from Walmart and a small whiteboard, eraser and marker. Have her do mapping on the white board. You can also use the tiles on the whiteboard.

In addition, start doing this "game" for 3 minutes several times a day. Start with 2-sound words such as "go" and "see". You give her the sounds with one second in-between (e.g. /g/ /o/). She has to tell you what the word is ("go"). Then reverse roles. She has to give you 2 sounds and you have to tell her what the word is. This will give her practice in segmenting and blending skills. As soon as she is solid on 2-sound words, move to 3-sound words ("stay", "meat"). Remember you are working with *sounds*, not letter names! You want to get her to the point where she can orally segment and blend words such as "elephant" and "rhinoceros".

Barton is a good Orton-Gillingham based program. It's major downside is its cost.

OG programs teach syllabication rules. One thing I don't like about syllabication rules is that good readers don't actually use these rules to figure out words. It is a slow process to teach these rules and their application, and this approach does work. It just takes time.

Reading Reflex does not teach syllabication rules. Instead, it teaches "chunking". Rewards is a very good follow-up program to RR, and it also uses "chunking" rather than syllabication.

Once your dd's skills are good in terms of segmenting, blending and phoneme manipulation (what RR calls auditory processing), you will need to decide whether you want to continue on with a sound-to-sight methodology (Reading Reflex or ABeCeDarian) or use a sight-to-sound methodology (all Orton-Gillingham based programs, including Barton). They are both good methodologies, but they are not compatible so you need to stick with one or the other.

Has your dd had a developmental vision evaluation? If not, she may be struggling with a convergence or accommodation problem that makes reading text more difficult.

Hi Claire,

My dd is 8. Yes, we have checked for the vision and the doctor said that she was fine. So, we know that the problem is not the vision. Thank you for clarifying between the sound to sight difference and the different programs that follows it.

I really do appreciate your advice Claire. You have been so helpful. At least I know what I must do.

Caryn

Yes, we have checked for the vision and the doctor said that she was fine. So, we know that the problem is not the vision.

Caryn

Hi Caryn,

Was the "doctor" a developmental optometrist? If not, it's very possible that a vision problem of the sort that affects reading was overlooked.

I see kids all the time whose parents had been told by their family optometrist that their vision was fine, but they need vision therapy. Most optometrists don't perform the testing required to rule out problems that are addressed by vision therapy. For more information you can read The Vision Piece on my website at OnTrack Reading. (There's a Vision Assessment Checklist there also.)

As for the multisyllable instruction, I agree with Claire that most good readers don't use the "rules" for open and closed syllables. Reading Reflex encourages kids to just "chunk" the words without worrying about the boundaries and instead then teaches them to try different vowel sound options.

In the curriculum I use in my private reading practice, I've fine-tuned that some by encouraging kids to stop each chunk after the vowel sound except when three, easy to find, exceptions occur. They are also instructed to always try the short vowel sound first, when trying to read an unfamiliar word, so that they know what they've already attempted. After that, they are to try the second and third vowel sounds. You can find more on that under the Multi-syllable section of The Phonics Piece on my website. (That section also contains a word list for practicing the auditory processing skill.)

I use this multisyllable method with every child I teach and they really take to it quickly. This is key because with many poor readers, it's necessary to convince them that they have finally found a strategy that beats guessing.

However, I would make certain that a developmental optometrist (not just your family eye doctor) has ruled out a vision problem before I went further down the phonics route. Getting tired when reading, when it happens a lot, is a sign of a vision problem.

Hope this helps,

Rod Everson

OnTrack Reading