Menu

Dd16 scratches her head - a LOT - any suggestions?

Have you checked thoroughly for lice? Is it possible she has psoriasis? If so that requires a special kind of dandruff shampoo. Also exzema might be a possibility. Or it could just be dry, itchy skin. In case of the previous two benedryl will help some. Finally, if no physical cause is found, maybe consider OCD. I know a person who scratched their head due to OCD and it can eventually cause a thinning of hair or even a bald spot.

THere are several shampoo ingredients that make me itch and sometimes break out on my scalp. I'm not actually sure what they are, but the only shampoo that seems NOT to bother me is Dove. Maybe you could try the baking soda wash and vinegar rinse for a while.

I also think it could be yeast--some shampoos left in the shower can get yeasty. A treatment with yogurt left on the head for about half an hour (shower cap to cover) then rinsed with a vinegar rinse (2T to .5 C per gallon of water) seems to help some people.

What about seborrhic dermatitis? I have to use T-gel shampoo twice a week or so to keep the itching down.

My son has this. He alternates between T-gel and a zinc shampoo. Taking essential fatty acids and acidophilus seems to help, too.

Does your insurance cover a visit to a dermatologist? It would be helpful to know exactly what you're dealing with. We also have a prescription gooey stuff that I put on his scalp every once in a while, if the situation has gotten worse, which it sometimes does when he's stressed out.

THere are several shampoo ingredients that make me itch and sometimes break out on my scalp. I'm not actually sure what they are, but the only shampoo that seems NOT to bother me is Dove. Maybe you could try the baking soda wash and vinegar rinse for a while.

I also think it could be yeast--some shampoos left in the shower can get yeasty. A treatment with yogurt left on the head for about half an hour (shower cap to cover) then rinsed with a vinegar rinse (2T to .5 C per gallon of water) seems to help some people.

i am also allergic to some shampoos - i was using Dove until the last bottle "changed" and it was instant itch.

It could just be a habit with no cause too... but i'd get it checked at the Derm if you could.

I have a LOT of trouble with Sodium Laureth (or Lauryl) Sulfate. It actually makes my scalp hurt! If I continue to use it, my hair starts to fall out. :) If I use a shampoo that is "Sulfate Free", I don't have any problem. It used to be very difficult to find sulfate free shampoo, but there are now several on the market. They're marketed for color-treated hair (because they don't strip the color like sulfate shampoos do).

Still, I prefer more natural brands. I use Traite, by Mastey. I also like Onesta products. The health food stores carry Jason brands, and they are also sulfate free. I've seen others, but I haven't tried them because I like my Traite. :)

Is it possible she has psoriasis?

I have psoriasis on my scalp so I was going to suggest looking for it, too. It is miserable and there is no way to stop scratching. I've never found anything that really helps. It comes in cycles and it runs on stress.

Just a thought...

She has done this for years. I've tried all kinds of dandruff shampoos and conditioners but she continues to scratch. Please help!!

Thanks!!

She may be allergic to something in her hair products.

My scalp itches a lot as well. I have just never figured out what causes it. LOL

Thanks all. Just to clarify, she does kind of pick at it and she does have flakes. We tried selsun and t-gel but maybe not long enough. I will try the shampoos for color treated hair and see if that works. Also want to mention that she doesn't deal with stress well - she gets headaches, stomach aches, etc. This could just be another stress-related thing.

From my vantage point she doesn't have much stress in her life. We're a happy family and she doesn't work or have any huge pressures - but that's not always the way she sees things. She sees sharing a room with her 10yo sister as a major stressor. Stress is in the eye of the beholder.:)

I thought if it was psoriasis or eczema she would itch other places as well, but perhaps that's not the case.

If the shampoo change doesn't work, I guess we'll make a trip to the doctor. This has been going on for years. I figured she would just outgrow it.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time.

If I use certain shampoos and hair products, I have this problem. If I get an itchy spot, I rinse my hair in vinegar water to get the residue off my hair. The itchiness is almost gone the same day. I do best with Matrix Amplify shampoo. It isn't cheap, but it works well for my ultra-fine hair, and it lasts a very long time.

Does she exercise or work up a sweat and not take a shower afterwards? My head itches like crazy if I get sweaty and then not rinse the sweat off of my head.

Good luck with figuring it out...isn't it fun that it could be so many things? :D