Menu

doulas for labor...love to hear your experiences!

anyone use a doula for labor support, especially during a hospital birth?

can you describe how the doula helped you during labor and birth?

any regrets about using a doula?

was the support provided worth the cost of doula services?

would you use one again?

what do you think your labor and birth would have been like wihout the doula?

Thanks for any info and for sharing your experiences!

With my first, my doula was my Bradley teacher. She was great and did not charge me anything. She helped me avoid pain medication even though I did have Pitocin.

With my second, I paid $250 for a doula. I loved her, but couldn't find her when I was pregnant with my third. I waited too long to find a replacement, and delivered in the hospital without a doula. It was fine, but more stressful for me.

With my 4th, I paid $750 for a doula with a reputation for being the best in Houston. She didn't make the birth, but sent a sub who was perfectly acceptable, even though I had not met her prior to the birth.

I just hired a doula for my fifth. She is already a friend, so I feel comfortable with her. I paid $50 for a year of lactation support and parenting classes, and another $350 for the birth.

Yes. I had the same doula for my second two births. For my first a midwife apprentice was there and pretty much acted like a doula, which was part of why we hired our doula for the next two babies.

She kept me moving and didn't let me go into inertia (ball, rocker, etc). She fought my battles for me (I don't stand up to medical personnel very well, we had 3-4 meetings with her including her coming to an OB appt with a birth plan and she knew what I did and did not want). Her presence allowed my husband to go get meals/nap. She kept me from having a C/S with #2 (10 lb 11.7 oz) ... I was induced with all three of my kiddos and N-boy wasn't coming (we think he was caught on my tailbone ... actually I'm pretty sure as I couldn't sit comfortably for 6 months or so). The nurse & midwife (the practice was very doctor-like CNMs) started to exchange a look and Kim said, let's try something else. She had me do some sort of rocking/swaying motion and he was born shortly after.

My husband liked having someone else in the room all the time talking to me and him and to the medical personnel. Someone who knew what they were talking about to suggest. Jason says, "I could be there to be supportive, she could be there to be helpful." I liked that she never left, she was contracted to stay with us, while my "midwives" were there to catch the baby (and with my 3rd, caught her with towels).

She took great notes, so I have detailed information of their births, which is kind of fun.

Absolutely none. Not even the expense.

Totally. Completely. Absolutely. No Question.

would you use one again?

Did so, and yes.

2 C/S's because I'm certain they wouldn't do a VBAC.

I can't say enough good things about our doula, Kim, and her company! My husband isn't interested in home births (too messy, he says) so having a doula/midwife team is about the next best thing. The practice I went to with M-girl (#1) was very different, very more midwifey and I was more comfortable there (my midwife only left because I had the apprentice and the teenager across the hall screamed bloody murder for hours). I chose my second practice because I could request a midwife (read: female) to deliver. Since they were much more medicine-y, having the doula was the perfect compromise.

She did that double hip squeeze where they apply pressure to the tops of both hip bones as the baby is moving down. It was awesome, and when she did that I could totally relax and even talk during my contractions. Also, it was nice to have her give me a written account of the birth afterwards.

Yes, she insisted we go to the hospital only because the midwife wasn't going to make the birth in time (I felt/feel very strongly about only transporting to hospital if there is a medical indication, i.e. cord prolapse, mama hemorraging, etc.). This was partially my fault, because I didn't talk to her about it, although the midwife and dh and i were all on the same page of go ahead and have the baby, and then see if transport is needed, even if the midwife isn't there. I had had long, painful labors w/ the first three, so didn't really ever think it would happen the way it did (I didn't know I was in labor until I was near transition/pushing).

But, it really wasn't her place to make that decision, IMO. To advise us of our situation and our choices, yes, but not to tell us what to do...I mean, that's why I choose home birth in the first place is to have more freedom to choose. Unfortunately, I still have quite a bit of pain over that.

would you use one again?

Well, now I live in an area where I have more social support...during that birth, I really didn't have any social network, so needed her help. So, I really am not sure if I would feel like I need it the next time. (For the record, dh has had the "V," so there won't be a next time.)

If I felt like I wanted doula, I would only hire a one if I could find one that is very close to my same birth philosophies; I don't think my doula and I were close enough in that area. I would be more clear about what I was expecting from her, more clear about my vision of her role at my child's birth. Otherwise I would do without.

I definitely would hire one if I was planning a hospital birth.

Edited by LanaTron
Deleted some stuff to be more clear of my position.

All three of my births have been at hospitals. I have had a doula for two births and wish I'd had one for my first birth.

My doulas were the third arm my husband needed and didn't have. They got wet washcloths for me, socks for me, stayed with me when my husband had "to go", pressed one place while my husband pressed another place, helped me move...

None. I think they are essential, for natural birth in particular. I have very large babies (over 9 lbs) and a long pushing phase typically, so I think the extra support is vital. I have had midwives for 2 of my 3 births and while they were also very supportive, I liked having a doula there, too (sometimes the midwife had to check on another patient).

Absolutely.

would you use one again?

Absolutely. And we plan on having one more baby. :)

It would've been far more stressful. They helped my husband help me; they were experienced with birth and labor and saw when and how to help almost before I knew I needed something; they were non-judgmental and had very soothing personalities. I think I would have given up had I not had their support (I definitely felt like it with those loooooong pushing phases!).

www.dona.org is a great place to find a certified doula in your area. Good luck!

thank you everyone for sharing your experiences! i have been on the fence about getting a doula. the cost is the main thing that is holding me back.

i am leaning toward getting one, though, bec. of our past birth experiences and our current situation (no one to offer support, dr.-like CNMs, etc).

your stories have given me encouragement! thank you!