Menu

Galore Park Latin

Latin Prep is for students roughly grades 5-8, and SYRWTLL is roughly for students in grades 9-12. Latin Prep moves a little more slowly (books 1-3 cover just a bit more than books 1 and 2 of SYRWTLL), and there's a bit more color, humor, and practice woven in.

SYRWTLL moves *fast*. I have my son using book 1 this summer as an easy review after having completed LP 2 this school year. It's easy for him, and seems to work great as review, but it's hard for me to imagine a student using it alone without some previous Latin and/or a teacher who can really coach them through. It throws a *lot* of grammar at the kids very quickly. It's great for my purposes -- a quick overview (or re-view, in our case), followed by some targeted by short practice for concepts -- but I think it could easily be overwhelming to someone new to Latin without a teacher to help them through.

The set-up for SYRWTLL is really nice. Every left-hand page covers new material, and every right-hand page has practice exercises to help cement the new material. On the bottom of the right-hand page is a "using Latin" feature that covers a Latin phrase or abbreviation used in every day English. Every now and then, a two-page spread covers Roman history or mythology rather than Latin, and that can be a nice change of pace.

Latin Prep moves more slowly and has a lot more practice along the way. It's more colorful, and there's quite a lot of humor woven in. (There's a little bit on SYRWTLL, but not nearly as much.) I feel that the explanations in Latin Prep are more user-friendly, and it's a better program for home schooling families without a built-in Latin tutor.

We plan to finish Latin Prep 3 this fall, so SYRWTLL 2 next summer for review again, then go on to SYRWTLL3 the next fall.

I'm really excited about this latin curriculum. :)

I ordered Latin Prep for my ds 7th grade who has had no exposure to latin other than Latin roots. For my ds 10th I ordered the SYRWTTL. I really like the layout of these books. I think for my youngest, the color and humor of Latin Prep will keep it fun! For him, this is very important.