Menu

How to teach math book for parents?

Gwenny

Anyone know of a book that teaches the parents how to teach math? I'm hoping for 1 book that will explain all the operations and stuff needed up to pre-algebra or so. I don't want to do workbooks and worksheets with my kids, but I would like some sort of manual to make sure I'm not missing something important and would teach me how to teach my kids.

I have Math on the Level, but I still feel like I need something more to help me understand math better.

Hope this makes some sense,

Gwen

Anyone know of a book that teaches the parents how to teach math? I'm hoping for 1 book that will explain all the operations and stuff needed up to pre-algebra or so. I don't want to do workbooks and worksheets with my kids, but I would like some sort of manual to make sure I'm not missing something important and would teach me how to teach my kids.

I have Math on the Level, but I still feel like I need something more to help me understand math better.

Hope this makes some sense,

Gwen

I found Elementary Mathematics for Teachers to be extraordinarily helpful but I use Singapore math.

http://www.singaporemath.com/Elementary_Mathematics_for_Teachers_p/emft.htm

Just looked up Math on Call on Amazon and found that the author also has several others in the same series. Anyone else use these and can offer an opinion on which one is the best resource? They look like what I am looking for.

Gwen

I second the suggestion of Elementary Mathematics for Teachers, but be aware it does correlate with and refer to Singapore books (including things like "read this section and study how it is presented" or "do the problems on p. 35").

Ron Aharoni's Arithmetic for Parents may also be useful, although more focused on lower elementary levels and arithmetic.

Here's the publisher's site, Great Source. Math at Hand is for 5th-6th grade. The next level up is Math on Call for ~6th-8th grades.

The student handbooks would be enough, I think. The teacher's guides aren't necessary.

We use these as student handbooks to fill in any gaps that might not have been covered in our main curriculum (Singapore math), especially in preparation for standardized testing. The explanations are pretty clear and the text includes many accompanying illustrations and diagrams. They're written to the student.

HTH!

Edited by karensk