Menu

Please share your successful lunch routines!

Lunch is the most dreaded part of my day. I just can't seem to get a handle on how to do it efficiently. I hate thinking about what to have (we're all sick of peanut butter and jelly, turkey and cheese and chicken nuggets). I also dread getting it all out and putting it all away. I would love to just skip the meal entirely!! For awhile, the kids made their own "lunchables", but these never really filled them up. Any suggestions?!

:iagree: The dreaded "lunch hour" !

Whenever possible, we have leftovers from the previous night's dinner. (so adjust your cooking amounts for dinner with that in mind)

Canned/boxed soups or very fast homemade soups with bread and fruit. If using purchased soup, I'll have enough time to make drop biscuits as the bread "side."

Homemade mac-and-cheese takes very little time. The water boils without needing me, the mac boils without needing me. I drain it, then stir in the onions and already-grated cheese, plus just enough milk to "cream" it together. Serve with boiled frozen peas or frozen mixed vegetables which have been cooked (again, without needing me) at the same time.

I'm aided by the fact that dd does most of her work at the dining table just outside of the kitchen. I can run in-and-out as needed.

In summer, throw together whatever kind of filling smoothie appeals to you. Yoghurt (dairy or non-dairy), frozen fruit, fresh fruit, whatever works.

Spaghetti with peanut sauce. Make the sauce yourself in the blender or food processor. Very fast, very good.

Grilled cheese sandwiches.

Quesadillas always are a sure hit around here. You can make these in a skillet, if you don't have a quesadilla-maker. If you don't eat dairy products, try making quesadillas with the almond-based "cheese". The kids dubbed these "Fake-a-dillas", and actually prefer them to the dairy cheese originals. Serve with jarred/bottled salsa.

[need more ideas ? . . .]

I'm with you, Cin, and I have a Piper, too! ;)

What seems to work here, keeping in mind that my kids are 10 and 15, is a free-for-all. My kids know how to make their own lunches or heat up leftovers, and I don't micro-manage it. I used to insist that we eat at the same time, but I don't anymore because the older one seems to be in a totally different time-zone when it comes to hunger and sleep. Sometimes we end up eating at the same time, sometimes not. I do try to keep an idea in my head of what's available so I can tell them a bunch of options before they're standing in front of the open fridge looking baffled.

They're free to eat "breakfast food" for lunch if they'd like, or a smorgasbord of little things like fruit or veggies or whatever. If I'm making something that they want, of course I'll make larger portions so they can have some, but for the most part, we're free agents. I realize this works because I have older kids and only two of them, though. Not sure what I'd do if I had a much larger family.

Last time I stressed over lunch prep I made a lunch list and posted it on our fridge. It really helped the kids know what to expect and was great when it was time to make up the grocery shopping list. It went something like this:

M-sandwich

T-burritos or quesidilla

W-chicken nuggets or fish sticks

TH-wraps

F-pasta (usually mac 'n cheese, frozen ravioli or spaghetti)

S-leftovers

Each lunch served with veggies or fruit on the side.

My kids favorite wrap is Cesar salad dressing, grilled chicken, lettuce and parmesan cheese wrapped in a tortilla.

Yup, we usually have leftovers (I make a big crock pot of beans just about every week, and a stack of tortillas, so we'll have lots of bean burritos), PB&J (almond butter for Mr. Peanut Allergic), tuna or salmon salad sandwiches, grilled cheese, homemade mac & cheese... I also get mini spring rolls and pot stickers that we keep int he freezer and pull out for lunch sometimes. Sometimes, we have salad, but that's usually for supper. Hot dogs happen occasionally.

One thing that helped me alot with lunch is loosening up my definitions. For example, crackers, 2 carrot sticks, peanut butter on a spoon and milk has been known to equal lunch at my house (keep in mind that my littles are 4 and 6). Or oatmeal, cereal, scrambled eggs etc. As long as they eat enough to keep body and soul together and get a somewhat balanced meal, I don't care what kind of combos they make up. Breakfast and dinner are generally planned and nutritious, so lunch can lag a bit if needed.

Also, I made a list of "lunchable" foods we generally have on hand for those days when all I can come up with is another pb&j. Yogurt, cheese, eggs, muffins,quesdillas, whatever etc. Then we can mix and match to our hearts content.

I make a big pot of beans in the crock pot every week or every other week. The kids can have a bowl of these or one of the pre-made frozen burritos (just cheese and beans in a tortilla) that I made in a big batch and froze. The zap in the microwave within minutes and have minimal cleanup. I also will make several soups in a day and freeze in containers to do the same thing. For some reason, I'm in the mindset that because we stay home, it's important to provide a hot meal (crazy I know!). The soup and beans option works for us or leftovers.

I like the idea of posting a list of ideas on the fridge for the kids or a schedule of what lunch will be for each day. Most days my kids (5 and 8) get their own lunch ready. They love feeling independent in this way.

If you do a warm breakfast, you could always offer cereal with milk for lunch with some fruit. If clean up makes you nuts, put the kids in charge of clean up for this meal.

Oh yes, pasta salad is a great dish to have made and serve throughout the week.

Good luck and keep us posted to your changes in your routine.

Julie in Monterey

We do things easy here. I don't do anything I have to put together.

They usually have an array of these things:

Fruit, vegetable

Cheese, Nuts, Yogurt

Crackers, Chips

Rasins, or Cranberries

The only thing I have to do is cut up the fruit and vegies, and place everything on the paper plates. It is healthy, and VERY easy.

My favorite lunch routine: me: 'Hey Piper, how about you go make the peanut butter sandwiches'

Piper: 'Okay Mom' :D

That is really close to my favorite lunch routine.

"Who wants to make me a sandwich? Please...."

Our lunch is small and usually delayed until as late as possible. We prefer to take it outside or to the park. So my other favorite routine is :

"Let's make some sandwiches and go to the park. Danielle, you get the bread then put the dog on her leash. Alexis, find the sunscreen and fill up the water bottles." Then I make pbj sandwiches, throw away the paper towel I made them on, put them in a bag and we go to the park.

We have picky eaters and food allergies so I refuse to turn lunch into something I have to think about. We have a pbj on whole wheat and a piece of fruit. We have milk (skim for me, goat for the little, and soy for the bigger) if we are home or water if we are out. No other choices, options or issues.

Success. :D

We have the same lunch nearly every day. Our standard is sunbutter/jelly sandwiches with fresh fruit and a raw veggie (carrots or cucumbers usually). I try to buy lunchmeat for my oldest because he doesn't love sunbutter the way the others do. Occasionally we mix it up and they have sunbutter on crackers with their fresh fruit and veggie, sometimes adding cheese sticks or yogurt.

My dh thinks I should do hot lunch everyday since we're home but I just can't. They are picky, won't eat beans typically and the youngest has food allergies. So we keep it pretty plain.

I do give them a snack at 3:30 as well (typically homemade baked goods or occasionally granola bars and dried fruit)

Well, lets see... my kids will eat: burrito's (easy - tortillas, beans, cheese), grilled cheese, tomato soup & frozen buiscuits (big bag from superwalmart), other soup, occasionally sandwiches, ramen, leftovers, mac & cheese, eggs & cheese, toast & whatever, and other things as well. Including milk, fruit, etc. Mine are pretty handy in the kitchen, but sometimes I'll make lunch, and sometimes they fend for themselves. Occasionally we meet grandma and grandpa for a fastfood lunch, or we get pizza or hot dogs at Costco. My kids aren't fans of lunch meat, and they would die if they had to live on pb&j exclusively.

If they can catch it and eat it between 11AM and 4PM, we call it lunch.

My thoughts exactly! :lol:

My kids have learned to fend for themselves when it comes to lunch (and breakfast, for the most part). I do make lunch a few times a week, but I get tired of making 2 or 3 different kinds of sandwiches (one doesn't like peanut butter, one won't eat lunchmeat, etc, etc.) It's just easier if they make their own. And I think they prefer to do it that way, most of the time.

I know my children (6, 4, and 2) get tired of pb&j, but we still have a pb&j day - I'm trying to teach them not to complain about the food they're given, but to be thankful instead. If I put a yogurt container on their plates along with their pb&j and sunchips, they're very happy (they also can't open the yogurt until they've finished their sandwich).

With any lunch meal, I try to match it with something they can look forward to, i.e. the yogurt, fruit popsicle, etc. Or, as others have suggested, changing the location of lunch - the park, the front yard, etc.

I also do some of my read alouds (again, my kids are young) during lunch - and surprisingly, they look forward to lunch because of the entertainment factor I provide!

Other lunches:

fish sticks

corndogs (sorry, I love corndogs)

leftovers

grilled cheese

mac & cheese and corn

ramen noodles

rice (rice is easy for me because we have a steamer - 30 minutes before we're to eat, I just load up the steamer - one of the easiest lunches I do)

We keep lunch simple. Our big meal of the day is dinner. My kids are 2 and 5, so this may vary a bit from the ages of your kids. I usually give my kids three things for lunch. It usually consists of a "main" item such as: waffles, PB&J, lunch meat sandwich, sometimes a banana, shells & cheese, pasta, lunch meat by itself, a hot dog, etc.

Then I'll add a "healthy" side, such as: half a cut up banana (if a whole one was not their "main" part), grapes, watermelon, yogurt, cantaloupe, applesauce, cheese cubes or stick, etc.

Then I'll add a "snacky" type side, such as: cheddar bunnies (like goldfish), a granola bar, animal crackers, peanut butter crackers, etc.

I have been known to give them a fruit assortment for lunch. I've also been known to make the peanut butter crackers the main part of their meal. I just know that I never take more than 5 minutes (and definitely not more than 10) to make lunch.

First day of school the home ec lesson was you want to eat learn to make it. The kids are on their own for breakfast and lunch. As pp stated-if you can catch it and eat it between 11-4 it is lunch.

It makes life much easier. No stress on me and they are learning valuable life skills.

We do things easy here. I don't do anything I have to put together.

They usually have an array of these things:

Fruit, vegetable

Cheese, Nuts, Yogurt

Crackers, Chips

Rasins, or Cranberries

The only thing I have to do is cut up the fruit and vegies, and place everything on the paper plates. It is healthy, and VERY easy.

This would be my ds-13's appetizer! :lol:

Last time I stressed over lunch prep I made a lunch list and posted it on our fridge. It really helped the kids know what to expect and was great when it was time to make up the grocery shopping list. It went something like this:

M-sandwich

T-burritos or quesidilla

W-chicken nuggets or fish sticks

TH-wraps

F-pasta (usually mac 'n cheese, frozen ravioli or spaghetti)

S-leftovers

Each lunch served with veggies or fruit on the side.

My kids favorite wrap is Cesar salad dressing, grilled chicken, lettuce and parmesan cheese wrapped in a tortilla.

I love the "category" idea! I use it when I plan dinners (then I fall out of the habit & am shocked at dinner time that they want to eat & I have to cook!)

I know my children (6, 4, and 2) get tired of pb&j, but we still have a pb&j day - I'm trying to teach them not to complain about the food they're given, but to be thankful instead. If I put a yogurt container on their plates along with their pb&j and sunchips, they're very happy (they also can't open the yogurt until they've finished their sandwich).

With any lunch meal, I try to match it with something they can look forward to, i.e. the yogurt, fruit popsicle, etc. Or, as others have suggested, changing the location of lunch - the park, the front yard, etc.

I also do some of my read alouds (again, my kids are young) during lunch - and surprisingly, they look forward to lunch because of the entertainment factor I provide!

Other lunches:

fish sticks

corndogs (sorry, I love corndogs)

leftovers

grilled cheese

mac & cheese and corn

ramen noodles

rice (rice is easy for me because we have a steamer - 30 minutes before we're to eat, I just load up the steamer - one of the easiest lunches I do)

I love the idea of corn dogs. Love corn bread. Love hot dogs. But put the 2 together...haven't ever eaten them.

My ds-10, the vegetarian, loves the Morningstar ones.

My dc are all young (5,3,1yo), so I do most of the prep and clean up. The 5 and 3yo can help "a little", but their helping usually stresses me out.

:tongue_smilie:

I set aside 20-30 min. for lunch prep. Not that I need that much time, typically, but it gives me a few extra minutes to do laundry, pick up the living room, etc, if lunch isn't time-intensive that day.

For those 20-30 min., the kids play with a "special toy" that is only for lunch prep time. Since it's summer, they play at the water table out on the deck. I can see them from the kitchen window.

While I clean up, they have "free play", which is what it sounds like. They are used to "free play" after bfast, too. They usually end up on the couch with a book, or in their room with their play kitchen.

It might take awhile for your kids to get used to it, but once they do, lunch will feel possible again!

Also, I try to schedule all meals for the week before grocery shopping to make sure I have all the ingredients.

:)

For lunch during our school year, we have an easy entree and have fresh fruit and veggies EVERY DAY. I think fresh is easier to deal with all the way around when it comes to prep time and clean up. It's what my kids eat best in that department and healthy, too. I bought plastic trays so they'd feel like they were getting a school lunch.

Here's examples of Entrees:

Sandwiches (peanut butter, turkey/cheese, grilled cheese, etc.)

Pizza

Quessadillas

Hotdogs/Corndogs

Leftovers

Sometimes I let them buy a Lunchable or a canned pasta (like ravioli)

Favorites on Fruits/Veggies

Grapes, Apples, Strawberries, Pineapple, Banana

Baby Carrots, Tomatoes, Cucumber, Broccoli

As far as clean up, ds helps with clean up after breakfast and lunch, dd helps clean up after supper. I usually ask one of them to help with prep for lunch as well.

Yup, we usually have leftovers (I make a big crock pot of beans just about every week, and a stack of tortillas, so we'll have lots of bean burritos), PB&J (almond butter for Mr. Peanut Allergic), tuna or salmon salad sandwiches, grilled cheese, homemade mac & cheese... I also get mini spring rolls and pot stickers that we keep int he freezer and pull out for lunch sometimes. Sometimes, we have salad, but that's usually for supper. Hot dogs happen occasionally.

Could you share your recipe for crock pot beans? :001_smile:

Here, the dc (and dh, who comes home for lunch) make their own lunches, and have since they were quite little. Usually, it's a sandwich and fruit of some sort, but sometimes they choose to have crackers with sunflower seeds and raisins, yogurt or, now that they're older, toasted cheese, reheated leftovers, or whatever. Sometimes one dc makes lunch for both, but they're responsible for finding and preparing their own lunches and for washing up their dishes afterwards.

Here, the dc (and dh, who comes home for lunch) make their own lunches, and have since they were quite little. Usually, it's a sandwich and fruit of some sort, but sometimes they choose to have crackers with sunflower seeds and raisins, yogurt or, now that they're older, toasted cheese, reheated leftovers, or whatever. Sometimes one dc makes lunch for both, but they're responsible for finding and preparing their own lunches and for washing up their dishes afterwards.

Oh Good! I'm sure you're a great Mama, and my kids have always tried to make me feel guilty for this.

Carrie:-)

We are boring here. We have sandwiches with fruit and/or some cold meat everyday. I am thinking of packing lunchboxes after dinner the night before so we can lunch and run a little easier. I am also not very good at taking lunch out with us on outing days so that might help me there.