Menu

Supplementing MUS with Singapore's CWP or IP?

seewah

My kids are using Math-U-See for math. I was all set to order CWP for each of them at their own level, but maybe I should order IP for each of them as well? Or is that overkill?

They are both strong in math ... but sometimes I feel like they are not getting enough practice with the MUS sheets they do. They seem to do fine on their daily assignments and weekly tests, but I just wonder how they would do with performing math calculations in a non-MUS book. I was thinking the word problems in CWP would be excellent supplemental practice, but I have seen some of the pages of several IP books and it looks like they have solid extra practice as well.

Do you think it would be confusing to a child who has learned the MUS way to compute problems to also use these Singapore books as supplements?

My oldest is using Life of Fred this year as a supplement to MUS ... he will be working on the first LOF book which will be review of what he did in MUS last year. Is that a good way to use LOF? As a good review of what the child has previously covered in MUS?

Thanks for your help! :)

My kids are using Math-U-See for math. I was all set to order CWP for each of them at their own level, but maybe I should order IP for each of them as well? Or is that overkill?

IMO, MUS + CWP is an excellent combination. IP is overkill.

Do you think it would be confusing to a child who has learned the MUS way to compute problems to also use these Singapore books as supplements?

IMO, CWP stretches the child in ways that MUS does not. MUS is weak on word problems.

My oldest is using Life of Fred this year as a supplement to MUS ... he will be working on the first LOF book which will be review of what he did in MUS last year. Is that a good way to use LOF? As a good review of what the child has previously covered in MUS?

IMO, this is an excellent way to use LoF. Reviewing the basics and more challenging problems as well.

We used MUS K through Algebra, sometimes with CWP (through level 6) and last year with LoF.

HTH!

Thanks so very much, Sue ... that helps quite a bit!

I also loved reading your sig line and checking out the curriculum you use. History Odyssey looks very intriguing to me. My oldest will be a fifth grader this year and I was unsure whether to keep him in SOTW with my younger kids (and have him doing outlining, time lines, etc. as outlined in WTM) or if I should switch him over to something else entirely. Do you love History Odyssey? How much prep work do you have using that curriculum?

Again, thank you! :)

My oldest will be a fifth grader this year and I was unsure whether to keep him in SOTW with my younger kids (and have him doing outlining, time lines, etc. as outlined in WTM) or if I should switch him over to something else entirely. Do you love History Odyssey? How much prep work do you have using that curriculum?

HO has been a disappointing followup to SOTW. If your ds hasn't done all 4 volumes of SOTW, I would stick with it. SOTW is the best!

I have mixed feeling about HO. You may read my review in this thread.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

I've followed Sue's advice with my MUS son and it's been great. He began CWP 2 when he had just begun Gamma. He's now using CWP 3 and will begin Delta next month. I plan to stick with the combo. until he's ready for LOF. I've looked at the other Singapore products and I just don't think we need them.

My 7 year old is 6 lessons into Gamma, so CWP 2 would be a good fit for him, right? My 10 year old will be starting Zeta ... should I order CWP 5 for him?

Yes, CWP 2 with Gamma.

I might try CWP 4 with Zeta since s/he hasn't tried it before. They solve many Algebra problems using bar diagrams. It takes a bit to get the hang of it.