Menu

Calling a problem a "Service Opportunity" doesn't fix it

okay - I feel better now.

I've been reading through the newest training documents from my work. A few years ago problems became "issues" and now they are service opportunities. I need to read this document again because I used to fix problems then I resolved issues. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with a service opportunity. :confused:

:D

LOL! That sounds like hubby's job. His 'problems' become 'extra credit' projects that requires him to work outside of work hours for a 'bonus' each year. Umm...really?!

Not sure what you do with a service opportunity either, sorry. Hopefully the new manual will explain that *sigh*.

okay - I feel better now.

I've been reading through the newest training documents from my work. A few years ago problems became "issues" and now they are service opportunities. I need to read this document again because I used to fix problems then I resolved issues. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with a service opportunity. :confused:

:D

As I've seen them written, you either "engage" service opportunities or "address" them.

Biz-speak :glare:. Now that's a problem *ahem* service opportunity!

I hear ya! I was at Kinko's recently and they had an envelope tacked up on the wall. It read, "Service Opportunities".

How lovely!

I work with sexual assault victims. We have some who write narratives like, "survivor was sent to the hospital".

I understand wanting to empower women, but......they have just been victimized. I feel that we discredit their horrible experience by attempting to whitewash it. They were victimized not survivor-ized.

Okay, I feel better now.

:auto: <---is it just me or does it look like he has a christmas tree in the backseat of that car?!

Dh's company does this too. He will say something like "Scott has an opportunity in xyz, and it is driving me crazy". At first I wasn't getting that having an 'opportunity' was a bad thing. His evaluations of people make no sense to me because of the lingo it is written in. I used to proof them for him, but it took so long for him to explain the constantly changing lingo, that it became a joke for me to help him.

"Having no opportunities in sales growth" is a good thing :confused:

I hear ya! I was at Kinko's recently and they had an envelope tacked up on the wall. It read, "Service Opportunities". No way! I bet their managers must have read the same book

I understand wanting to empower women, but......they have just been victimized. I feel that we discredit their horrible experience by attempting to whitewash it. They were victimized not survivor-ized.

:iagree:Yes - you survive a a car crash. You are a victim of assault.

Okay, I feel better now.

:auto: <---is it just me or does it look like he has a christmas tree in the backseat of that car?!

Yes - It really does.

In the writing programs I have used over the years there is always a section on choosing strong words. Why don't people in real-life (or least the business world) use strong words?

"Having no opportunities in sales growth" is a good thing :confused:

:lol:

My hubby works at different tech company and they use different lingo. Its strange to listen to him on calls because I understand what he is talking about and know who he is talking to, but I can't decipher what he is saying most of the time.

I agree with you. Surviving something doesn't mean it was ever OK, and insisting that they're survivors cheapens what they went through IMO. Call them survivors when THEY call THEMSELVES survivors, and not before.