Menu

Too much Language Arts?

carlychan

Is there a such thing? I keep finding things I "need" to teach my 10 year old next year. As a base we are using LLATL blue book. We will skip some/most of the writing and use writing strands. Now I think I need a diagramming book and an outlining resource. This seems like a LOT of language arts! What do I do? Change to an all inclusive LA program? I would prefer to stick with LLATL but I want him to be able to diagram and outline. Should I just do LLATL most days with the others some days? Thanks all! This is really the only thing I am stressing about for next year.

Is there a such thing? I keep finding things I "need" to teach my 10 year old next year. As a base we are using LLATL blue book. We will skip some/most of the writing and use writing strands. Now I think I need a diagramming book and an outlining resource. This seems like a LOT of language arts! What do I do? Change to an all inclusive LA program? I would prefer to stick with LLATL but I want him to be able to diagram and outline. Should I just do LLATL most days with the others some days? Thanks all! This is really the only thing I am stressing about for next year.

Yes, too much.

I'm thinking you should just do LLATL for awhile before you start adding stuff.

Does *no* level of LLATL do outlining? Because you might really like LLATL; you'd just have to wait for the outlining. I have to confess that I didn't do any outlining until, oh, 8th grade, and I think I still received a pretty good education.

I have 5 children using LLATL and I am finding that things like outlining and diagramming are covered along the way as you work through the different levels of the program. Personally, I wouldn't skip writing in the LLATL book because each of the elements are part of the whole and are integrated with the literature passage given at the beginning of each lesson.

One other thing, is it correct that your 10yo is in the Blue book, or did I misunderstand? The Blue book is labelled for first grade and wouldn't contain the writing skills that a 10yo would be needing to work on. Sorry if my comment is inappropriate....

So, in answer to your question, I think that if you use an outside resource for all the separate elements included in LLATL, then using LLATL as well could be redundant.

HTH

I have just started using the Green Book for my ds13. It teaches diagramming and grammar. I wouldn't skip anything in LLATL, because they are all integrated, but you could add in assignments once you see how it goes. My son takes only 15-20 minutes a day on his LLATL, although that could be because its the beginning of the book.

For outlining, I wouldn't buy another resource- I would just read that section in the WTM. It's not difficult. Some kids do struggle with it, but even my reluctant writer does well with outlining, and I did need to sit with him in the beginning, but then he was ok. I wouldn't anticipate you need an extra resource- I always just used outlining to cover parts of history and science, rather than made it an extra subject. You have years to get it right.

I hear all the time that LLATL is too light and people add so much that the LLATL become redundant. I looked carefully into it and at the level my son is using, I feel it has enough meat in it for a foundation for him at this point- but I have used many other resources over the years so he is not starting from scratch. I like to integrate things as much as possible- his writing program is connected to his history (IEW Medieval Writing Lessons). I particularly wanted to use the Gold levels for my dd15 and I am very happy with the book I got for her- but I will still add things here and there.

One other thing, is it correct that your 10yo is in the Blue book, or did I misunderstand? The Blue book is labelled for first grade and wouldn't contain the writing skills that a 10yo would be needing to work on. Sorry if my comment is inappropriate....

So, in answer to your question, I think that if you use an outside resource for all the separate elements included in LLATL, then using LLATL as well could be redundant.

HTH

Oh, he is NOT in the blue book:). MY 1st grader is. My 5th grader is in the purple book. Sorry about that!

Thanks for all the information. I guess I should just go with LLATL and see how it goes. I can whip through some outlineing and diagramming anytime.

So, about the writing. Can I (or should I) use Writing Strands in addition to LLATL? Even if I do the all of the writing assignments? It seems like I remember some people thinking it was "light" on writing.

Thanks again for all your guideance! I really appreciate it.