Menu

TRISMS and Hist. Portfolio

I am looking at TRISMS- History Makers and History Portfolio Classic for my oldest who is 6th/7th grade.

As I am comparing these 2, they seem to be similar as each expects the child to find the answers on their own through research. Materials are suggested to find these. Coverage wise, they diverge and HM covers lots more subjects/topics. Hist. Port. seems 'younger' in tone and the resources suggested for research.

Is this a fair comparison?

I would love to hear others ideas/experiences with either of these.

Can't answer but I am looking for history resources in that age frame. It was fun looking at these websites though they seem prep intensive which probably isn't a good fit for us. TRISMS seems quite expensive too but maybe I'm not comparing apples correctly.

The main difference I would say is - with HM you basically get a huge outline of events, inventions, people etc. then you use that to structure your study. With HP, you get a book designed to be filled in by the student. There is an outline of topics, along with an outline of books to read, and very specific suggestions for what you can have the child do - write an essay on .... , find photos of this place, illustrate tools from this time period etc., and of course, if you really want hand holding, a teacher's guide with blackline drawings for you so you don't have to do any internet searching. I think HP is probably targeted to a slightly younger audience, but that said, I think it can be used with any age student, you just have to expect better quality results for the older ones. I got HM and looked it over, and realized it was not worth the money and returned it - seems like I could just use History Through the Ages or some other general resource for far cheaper. HP on the other hand I like because it gives me some specific plans, but still flexibility to change things around. We will be using HP ancient this year with my 5th grader.