Menu

just for fun...best thrift store/Goodwill finds for your school

I will start...I love finding things that I wouldn't otherwise have bought or could have afforded....and sometimes I am glad that I only spent a few $, full price would not have been worth it....

Geo-Safari and cards......worth the $3.99 to us, but I am SOOO glad I did not buy it full price and I really had wanted to.

Leap Frog globe...$4.99

Math Safari and 5 books! $4.99

2 Leap Pads $4.99

Electronic boards of...$2.99 each

Presidents

States

Countries

Take Off! board game

Trivial Pursuit for Kids board game

Stratego board game

Battleship

Mille Bornes card game

Boggle Jr. Numbers

what have you found?

My best buy was a $1 white board 20 x 30 (or something like that.) It has held up better than the $30 one I got from the office supply store for my business. I use this all the time. The next best buy has been books for a quarter - classic children's books and the classics. About 20 books for about $4. Nothing exciting but I don't shop for crazy things.

I used to find all kinds of great things in our local thrift stores, but not so much the past few years.

Although I did get some incredible deals recently at our library's "fire sale". They were moving to a new facility and were selling off a ton of fixtures, etc. We managed to pick up a computer desk for $10, round library table and 4 chairs for $18, and a HUGE white board/chalk board on a movable stand for $20. But the absolute steal of the day were brand new, never opened TTC Algebra 1 and Algebra II complete sets with workbooks for $3 ea. I really felt like I had robbed a bank with that find.:)

My best finds were not at the Goodwill, most of mine were FREE!!! Here are a few...

homeschool_shelf161.jpg

This bookshelf was found along side the road, ready for the trash. It is solid wood. I painted it brown recently and put it in my school room upstairs. You can see it in the next photo.

PIC_0119-1.jpg

The tables in the center of the room were FREE also. My old highschool is being torn down, and one day last winter, with about 2 feet of snow on the ground, I was driving by when I saw them tossed out in the snow. I had to walk through about 200 ft. of unplowed snow to get one. My daughter helped me. Once I got it home and cleaned it all up, it looked like new! I loved it. I also then realized that the legs were adjustable and would work for my younger daughters as well. So the next day I sent my husband back to the school to pick up the other one which was covered in dead leaves and ice. He brought it home and after a deep clean, it was like new as well. Now my 4 students each have a desk their size and I am able to sit across from all of them.

PIC_0127-1.jpg

This little tree used to be in a store my aunt owns. She gave it to me when she closed. I would LOVE some suggestions on how to use it. I know there are possibilities. It is sooo cute.

The heavy duty wood chairs were FREE also from Bob Evans Restaraunt that was closing.

PIC_0123-1.jpg

The microwave cart was a gift from my mother-in-law for our old kitchen. I had nowhere to put it in our newer kitchen, so I use it here. I just changed out the handle to match the room.

PIC_0121-1.jpg

The little shelf above the table was FREE from my mom and the chair at the table I got in MN when I lived there. I think it was very inexpensive. I have had it a long time.

The lamp and rolling chair were from a family friend, again FREE.

PIC_0122-1.jpg

The little table here was a garage sale find my mother gave me. It is a vanity table. It was missing the mirror so I used it here. It is great for holding baskets of books or displays.

As you can see, my homeschool room was nearly FREE. I just used brown paint to pull all the furniture pieces together. I used leftover white paint that I added a darker blue quart of paint to to make the wall color which I LOVE.

I wish I had something I have bought at the Goodwill to share, but I don't. Our Goodwills around here have nothing but junk.

Michelle

Edited by Michelle My Bell

Usually just books. My last trip I found close to 40 books that I had in my amazon shopping cart and managed to knock a good $250 off my total on amazon. I also get science videos (eyewitness, national geographic etc), sometimes games, or peices needed for kits here.

I have picked up hundreds of wonderful books from thrift stores over the years, but my most recent great find is this little preschool table and chairs that I had been wanting from the Constructive Playthings catalog. In the catalog, it was priced at $60.. I found it in PERFECT condition at a thrift store for just $15!!

I have a beautiful wooden, two-drawer library card catalog thing. 99 cents! It holds all our flash cards.

I always have wondered what happened to all of those things....and I had to go to the library for Shurley grammar and have the librarian explain to my kids what a card catalog used to be....they still don't understand what I am talking about!

I just went to Goodwill tonight. I spent $12 and brought home 2 bag-fulls of books and 3 movies for the kidlets. I found about 10 books that are on my RR wishlist.....at 50c a book....I need to go add up the savings:D I live in a seminary town, so there are lots of homeschoolers, and I'm guessing a homeschooler in my town bought from the AO yr2 list and donated it to Goodwill:lol: "Thanks" to whoever you are.

I have tons and tons and tons of children's books that I've either gotten free or less than $1.

I found a school desk with adjustable legs for free - it's in fantastic shape! I also found a rolling desk with a side that slides out for extra surface space. One leg is damaged, but fixable - also free.

Books mainly, but not really great bargains like there are in other areas. Kids books are $1-2, adult paperbacks $3-4. Anything that isn't pure twaddle, has won any award, is a recognizable author... is always at the higher end.

My dd loves to buy Build-a-Bears there and I have found some other things that are good deals. Like a very nice table top easel with a white board/chalk board for $5. A new kids life jacket for a few dollars. Wooden Melissa and Doug puzzles for $2.

My best finds were not at the Goodwill, most of mine were FREE!!! Here are a few...

homeschool_shelf161.jpg

This bookshelf was found along side the road, ready for the trash. It is solid wood. I painted it brown recently and put it in my school room upstairs. You can see it in the next photo.

PIC_0119-1.jpg

The tables in the center of the room were FREE also. My old highschool is being torn down, and one day last winter, with about 2 feet of snow on the ground, I was driving by when I saw them tossed out in the snow. I had to walk through about 200 ft. of unplowed snow to get one. My daughter helped me. Once I got it home and cleaned it all up, it looked like new! I loved it. I also then realized that the legs were adjustable and would work for my younger daughters as well. So the next day I sent my husband back to the school to pick up the other one which was covered in dead leaves and ice. He brought it home and after a deep clean, it was like new as well. Now my 4 students each have a desk their size and I am able to sit across from all of them.

PIC_0127-1.jpg

This little tree used to be in a store my aunt owns. She gave it to me when she closed. I would LOVE some suggestions on how to use it. I know there are possibilities. It is sooo cute.

The heavy duty wood chairs were FREE also from Bob Evans Restaraunt that was closing.

PIC_0123-1.jpg

The microwave cart was a gift from my mother-in-law for our old kitchen. I had nowhere to put it in our newer kitchen, so I use it here. I just changed out the handle to match the room.

PIC_0121-1.jpg

The little shelf above the table was FREE from my mom and the chair at the table I got in MN when I lived there. I think it was very inexpensive. I have had it a long time.

The lamp and rolling chair were from a family friend, again FREE.

PIC_0122-1.jpg

The little table here was a garage sale find my mother gave me. It is a vanity table. It was missing the mirror so I used it here. It is great for holding baskets of books or displays.

As you can see, my homeschool room was nearly FREE. I just used brown paint to pull all the furniture pieces together. I used leftover white paint that I added a darker blue quart of paint to to make the wall color which I LOVE.

I wish I had something I have bought at the Goodwill to share, but I don't. Our Goodwills around here have nothing but junk.

Michelle

Michelle - I am literally drooling over your home school room! WOW!

Same as many--books, mostly. I did pick up some binders--one had Sonlight 5 Science still in it. I think I paid $.50 or so.

Got my Childcraft books there, too.

We live by Ft. Belvoir and there are often classics in the book area b/c of homeschoolers. We also got a free sleeper sofa in great condition and an overstuffed recliner. The couch was free, and the recliner was about 20 bucks.

We recently found the entire Childcraft encyclopedia set at Goodwill for $1/book.

I do most of my shopping there, and have a good many such finds.

Oh yes.... I've found a set of Childcrafts as well... Scooped 'em up quick! LOVE thrift stores!

Our Goodwill stores price the books way too high :(

I did get lucky, though, a while ago and found 2 copies of Bartholomew's Passage for 99¢ each, while it was still out of print.

My girls like to hunt for retired Build a Bears. They have the collector's guide so they know what to look for. Between them, they've got at least 70 BAB's, and somehow still know exactly which ones they have and don't have :lol:

Money has been so tight this past year, I've had to get a lot of my kids' clothes from thrift stores :( I've gotten some great deals, though.

I always have wondered what happened to all of those things....and I had to go to the library for Shurley grammar and have the librarian explain to my kids what a card catalog used to be....they still don't understand what I am talking about!

My librarian & I talk about the "old days" all the time! I loved card catalogs!

I recently went to a somewhat nearby thrift store, that was known for having neat treasures. It looked entirely picked over and didn't have nearly so many great finds -- I found a bunch of old board games with all their pieces for under $1 each, and that was nice -- I suspect with the bad economy, people are holding on to things longer as well as shopping at such stores more frequently.

I recently went to a somewhat nearby thrift store, that was known for having neat treasures. It looked entirely picked over and didn't have nearly so many great finds -- I found a bunch of old board games with all their pieces for under $1 each, and that was nice -- I suspect with the bad economy, people are holding on to things longer as well as shopping at such stores more frequently.

We've had a bad economy since the steel mills closed in the 70s.

We've found a lot of educational games at Goodwill, including:

Boggle, Jr.

Spelling Bee Bingo

Smath (probably the best find)

Lots of jigsaw puzzles

We've found quite a bit to use for school at Bookman's, a secondhand bookstore here (where HS'ers get 20% off, oh the joy).

Just for what we're using this semester:

Drawing With Children

How Children Lived.

I also adore Friends of the Library book sales.