Menu

Math...5th and 7th, Chalkdust, Videotext or TT?

Magic Wand

My rising 5th grader completed R&S Grade 5 math last school year and we have decided not to continue it. I'm considering TT or Chalkdust Basic Math for her. This child scores high on standardized tests and does well in math, (she's consistently worked a grade ahead) although it's not her favorite subject. I gave her the placement test for TT. She would need level 7. Is TT an easier math program? I'm a little concerned about the length of the lectures with Chalkdust.

We bought Chalkdust pre-algebra for my older daughter last year, and while it's a great program, she didn't care for the long lectures so we switched back to R&S math grade 6. This year I'd like to place her in Videotext or TT which will take her all the way through algebra and geometry. We've watched the demos for both programs. My concern with placing her in Videotext this year is that she may be missing some of the more traditional review aspects like geometry concepts, metric system review, etc. I don't know if this is a legitimate cause for concern. I've tried comparing the TOC. Videotext appeals to us more than TT, but TT seems to have a broader scope and sequence for a rising 7th grader. She also scores high on standardized tests and does well with math overall, although I would not say she is a math whiz.

Any input would be welcomed. Thank you!

Since no one else has answered yet with exactly what you seem to be looking for, I'll chime in. I've only tried TT Algebra 1, and it wasn't a good fit for us. Dd is good at math and hates it, although she doesn't hate Algebra nearly as much (sometimes Algebra is fun, but she won't admit it if it's school Algebra.) Chalkdust is something we looked at, but it was very expensive.

Here's what we've used for math before Algebra, and what we thought of it (in brief--there's so much more I could say.)

Saxon. My eldest did this for 3 years. I don't like it, and had her try SM6. She didn't like it (but I do and will get to it). After SM 6 and Saxon 76 she moved onto Algebra.

Singapore Math. Very good for dc who are good for math. Better than average word problems, teaches you how to do some rather complex math with simple arithmetic, heuristically quite sound. I highly recommend getting the HiG to see how the system works. There's also a new book out on the model method. You can take a placement test, I believe.

MUS. I like many things about it, but it doesn't sound like it's what you want or need. I'm only mentioning it because we use it (with SM because I like to do 2 math progams in elementary math).

MEP. It's free and challenging. You can find out about it at http://cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

My rising 5th grader completed R&S Grade 5 math last school year and we have decided not to continue it. I'm considering TT or Chalkdust Basic Math for her. This child scores high on standardized tests and does well in math, (she's consistently worked a grade ahead) although it's not her favorite subject. I gave her the placement test for TT. She would need level 7. Is TT an easier math program? I'm a little concerned about the length of the lectures with Chalkdust.

We bought Chalkdust pre-algebra for my older daughter last year, and while it's a great program, she didn't care for the long lectures so we switched back to R&S math grade 6. This year I'd like to place her in Videotext or TT which will take her all the way through algebra and geometry. We've watched the demos for both programs. My concern with placing her in Videotext this year is that she may be missing some of the more traditional review aspects like geometry concepts, metric system review, etc. I don't know if this is a legitimate cause for concern. I've tried comparing the TOC. Videotext appeals to us more than TT, but TT seems to have a broader scope and sequence for a rising 7th grader. She also scores high on standardized tests and does well with math overall, although I would not say she is a math whiz.

Any input would be welcomed. Thank you!

I can only share that a few years ago we switched from Rod and Staff to TT and it was not a good fit for my dd. TT did not have enough review. R & S is fantastic with the continual review, clarity of explanations, and the material covered. I think that Rod and Staff 7 or 8 would be fine as a pre-algebra text. I found that we liked R & S so much better than TT. I have no experience with Videotext.

HTH,

Anita

Hi Wand!!! Good to see you around!!! I've been pondering our math fate lately. You know we changed from RS too and went to BJU. Books 3 and 4 were fine, but the gr 5 is a textbook, real small, where you don't write in it. Then you have these b&w workbooks, meaning dd is just plain croaking. She ribbits, groans, ughs the time away... So anyways, yesterday at the convention I went through every single stall, every single math (ok, not xxx, but everything else), to see what might work for us.

Have you looked at TT? All I know of it, besides board gossip, is what I saw in the booth on the demo and heard from the guy. Yes, our girls would need the level 7. It still seemed light to me, at least compared to what I was LOOKING for (to match the way our girls think). It's adorable, might even have been persuasive (actually it was very persuasive), but the format CHANGES in the next level! From pre-algebra on, apparently the interactivity is lost and the computer thing is just to check and explain solutions, not the adorable, interactive lessons of the earlier levels. I could be misunderstanding, but that's what the guy seemed to say. I really didn't think a one year solution was a good solution, kwim? To me, I'm looking for something to get through pre-algebra, then we'll switch to whatever algebra series I'm thinking.

So anyways, after searching high and low, and of course having the usual criterion (plenty of thought, VISUAL, etc.), I think I'm going to have dd go directly to BJU 7. It's a new edition, big and beautiful (not small like the old editions), streamlined and crazy easy to teach from (they have NAILED this tm, gotta see it to believe it), and there's no junk. Oh, and it's very intellectually stimulating. They take your basic stuff, then expand it with some pre-pre-algebra concepts that they sorta know but haven't really put together. So instead of just reviewing addition, they do addition with order of operations. Instead of just doing fractions, they do fractions with... It's really snazzy. And I think, if you thought they'd be comfortable with it, you could do 7 with both your girls, no problem. Then they could stay together. BJU is updating them, presumably a new level each year. The 7 is new for this year, so the new pre-algebra would (theoretically) be out for them for next year.

That (BJU7) plus the math olympiad problem books from http://www.artofproblemsolving.com is my plan for this fall. Then next year, we can do the BJU pre-algebra and more of the math olympiad stuff. For algebra, I'm thinking Math Without Borders, which is a dvd series using the Foerester texts. Foerester is cheap on the amazon marketplace, around $5, and looks fine. I particularly like the MWB explanations and practical side, so I'm thinking it will be a good fit for us. Plenty of fine options out there, but that's what I'm thinking. It's not one I had heard mentioned as much, so I wanted to throw it out for you. I already have a couple of those Foerester books that I found inexpensively, and like I said they're fine. Not as entertaining as say Jacobs, but I think the MWB videos will make them good. Oh, and then you can correlate the Art of ProblemSolving books (algebra, geometry, etc.) to your studies to kick them up a notch. At least that's what I'm thinking. They even offer online courses...

I love VideoText. It's been very good for my oldest. I decided against Chalkdust for the same reason you mentioned. We didn't want such long lectures. I am also a huge fan of Life of Fred. Those would be my two choices. Alot would depend on your student's learning style. My middle dd, who has now done LOF Fractions and LOF Decimals/Percents, will probably not use VideoText because she really doesn't like video lessons. LOF is working great for her. VideoText is working very well for my oldest. She has done the whole Algebra program. She'll be doing LOF Goemetry next year before I consider whether to buy VT's Geometry/Trig/Pre-Calc program.

Before VideoText I tried TT Algebra with my oldest. She couldn't stand it. She understands with VT much better.

Heather

and so appreciate your responses. I was feeling bummed that no one had responded as this board offers such good advice.

I'll have to seriously consider all these options tomorrow when it's not 10:30 PM and I can think more clearly. Even though I love Chalkdust, the reality is, I highly doubt my younger daughter will take to the longer lectures anymore than my older dd did.

TT likely isn't a good fit either. Neither kid likes Singapore. We tried that for a year. Life of Fred might be a good fit, but is it enough? Maybe BJU...I just borrowed a friend's Videotext to check it out. It does seem like the lectures are more concise than CD. We're get in and get in done kind of gals.

I haven't seen the website you suggested, Elizabeth, I'll go exploring tomorrow.

Your input is immensely helpful. I'll keep you posted.

'night.

Wanda