Menu

H.A Guerber/Christine Miller histories for logic-stage history?

Amie

Could these work for logic stage (5th-8th grades) for a student finishing SOTW series in 1st-4th grades? I see on Christine Miller's website (Classical Christian Homeschool) that she begins using them in first grade. I'd also be interested in anyone who may be attempting to condense her history schedule (from CCH) into four years (I know, that should probably be a whole other post)--maybe reading the Guerber spines more quickly and leaving out some of the extra "add-on" books? Does this make any sense?

Guest 4boys

I have done many searches on these boards to find info on the Guerber/Miller books and I think most people do recommend them for logic stage. I have the Story of the Ancient World and I'm going to read it to my Gr. 2/K boys but I think possibly the rest of the series might be best read to older kids (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I am sort of condensing the history schedule from CCH into three years and I'm doing exactly what you suggest; reading a "spine" and just a few add-on books. Of course, my kids are still grammar stage and I will be doing Canadian History instead of American for the last year. Also, I am only loosely following the CCH schedule. I mostly use it for the book lists. And I'm only using the Story of the Ancient World so far; I am undecided about using the rest of the series for my young ones because they might be more advanced.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the replies!

Erin, you'll have to keep me/us updated on how you like using it with younger children (that may be something I do as well in the future).

And thanks Sagira, I hadn't even thought of checking Rainbow Resource yet--of course!

Loved To Death: As far as I know there is nothing like the AG for the Guerber books. However, my understanding is that the editions published by Christine Miller now include wonderful artwork, maps, timelines, and other resources--but--I haven't seen them in person yet, so I may not know what I'm talking about. ;) If you look at Classical Christian Homechool under the history schedule (for the six-year grammar stage) Miller has listed the order you should read the books as spines and then shows you what other books (picture books, literature, etc) can be added in at what time (like "read ____ after you complete chapter 24...").

Any other thoughts are welcome!

We'll be using them for logic stage. Although we're not using The Story of the Ancient World (I'm using Greenleaf's Guide to the Old Testament and The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt for that time period), we will be using The Story of the Greeks and the Story of the Romans. Ambleside has a schedule for these in year 6 taking 12 weeks for each one. As far as the additional reading, we'll be reading many of the books from the CCH site in addition to the spine each week to keep us moving along. HTH

If you look at Classical Christian Homechool under the history schedule (for the six-year grammar stage) Miller has listed the order you should read the books as spines and then shows you what other books (picture books, literature, etc) can be added in at what time (like "read ____ after you complete chapter 24...").

Could you link this? I can't seem to find this information.

Jan

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/v2/index.php?page=1208

You'll have to click on each grade (1-6) listed--then under each grade is a list of time periods you will study--click on one of those--it will show the list of books used for that time period--click on each book to see exactly where she schedules it in. Did you get all of those instructions? (Sorry, I'm bad at giving directions.) The website seems a bit tricky to navigate, and some parts aren't completed.

Thanks Narrow Gate, I thought Ambleside had them scheduled somewhere, but wasn't sure where. I'll check year 6 now...

Edited by Amie

• 7 months later...