Menu

Book: Art in Story - Teaching Art History to Elementary

Capt_Uhura

Guest Alte Veste Academy
This book seems like it goes along w/ SOTW but I've never seen it mentioned here.

My friend is raving about it but I haven't seen it first hand. You can look inside at Amazon.

Yep, it's great for incorporating art into history. I have it and just love it. I really like this one too.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I love Art In Story! It covers art through history in chronological order starting with cave paintings. Each section has background info., a story to read which portrays a character from that time period or an artist, suggestions of their artwork to look at (I could do google image searches to find the art work), directions for related art projects, related book list, music and other subject ideas, journaling suggestions, etc. I used this extensively with my kids and have taught numerous community ed. classes using it, along with Global Art and Discovering Great Artist. This was out of print for awhile; thankfully, it's available reasonably again.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I've drooled over it on Amazon. I'm slightly concerned at paying that much for a nearly 500 page paperback...I'm afraid it might fall apart. Anyone actually have hands ON it? Is it sturdy?

Yes, the new edition is close to 500 pages. I have it and it's sturdy enough for me. I feel like it will hold up well but I'm not very rough with books. Of course, this is a parent resource, not something you would hand to the kids...in which case not only hardcover but library binding would probably be best here. :D It's about 7x9 so not a tiny, thick paperback. Those seem to go first for me.

I've bought things I regret before and this is definitely not one of them. It's a reasonable price for the wealth of information it provides. Put this and Art From Many Hands together and you could practically create your own art curriculum to correlate with your history and geography studies.

ETA: The 2nd edition is actually 458 pages. Mine was printed in 2007 though, where Amazon's is listed as printing in 2006. Different printers?

Edited by Alte Veste Academy