Menu

Did you ever have a "school dream" about your dc?

Many of us have had that dream about taking a test in a class we never attended. Have you ever had a dream about your dc being in a traditional school and something bad happened?

Last night I dreamed that I had gone to a school to pick up my ds. I had to walk and walk through confusing hallways to find his classroom. When I finally found him, we then had to go pick up his project which was displayed in another part of the building. After we made our way down the long hallway again and outside (into a confusing mess of fields and dirt roads in the middle of nowhere), I looked at the project evaluation. It turned out to be his report card, which included only mediocre grades in all subjects, and a failing grade in his best subject. I felt like I'd been kicked in the gut. I couldn't believe it. I turned around to go back to talk with the teacher, but found we were in a field with grass so high I couldn't see the building anymore. Then, I woke up.

Do I try to evaluate such a dream or just chalk it up to a stressful week?

I think it's a normal stress dream and your son was only the excuse to get you into the school. When we started homeschooling, I read a book that pointed out how pervasive it is for adults to have bad dreams about school. I thought that was really striking!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Do I try to evaluate such a dream or just chalk it up to a stressful week?

Chalk it up to a stressful week.

I haven't had any dreams unless daydreams count. I've had many daydreams about what it would be like if my kids were in school. One in particular occurs every time my somewhat shy and soft-spoken ds6 is reading aloud to me. He reads at a high level but practically in a whisper. Every time he reads to me, as I struggle to walk a fine line between encouraging his confidence and praising the fine job he is doing, I imagine a teacher becoming frustrated and repeating to him over and over to please read so the whole class can hear. That would shut him down entirely and I can't imagine he would ever feel comfortable enough to read at all in front of the class again. I shudder to think. I expect his self-confidence to grow with the protection of our loving home. In public school, I can't even imagine how disheartened he would be as a shy child.

I had that type of dream last night, in fact. I dreamed that I had my child in some sort of class/tutorial session. The teacher was going to teach him some math, and she needed him to write the answers to the problems. I knew he wasn't writing his numbers well yet, so I started teaching him how to do that. The teacher got all upset, and I reassured her that I wouldn't do it again, that I'd ask her first before I took over the teaching. I woke up thinking, That is wrong! So wrong! That's exactly why I'm homeschooling--because I want to teach my kids, and I don't want anyone telling me what I can't teach my kids, or that I don't know what they need to learn! The funny part is that it was my younger brother who was my "kid" in my dream. :lol: