Menu

Another AAS question

sleepymommy

Okay, so I've been reading all of the posts about AAS and now I'm feeling the need to jump on board!:tongue_smilie:

At what age do you all recommend starting it? After reading is firmly established or while learning to read?

How is the teaching of the spelling rules different from the way it's taught in Phonics Pathways?

Is this a Phonics and spelling program or mostly just spelling?

Ds1 is working on phonics and blending right now with 100 EZ lessons and Dianne Crafts Right brain phonics. He's 5 yrs old. (Just turned 5 today!!!:party:)

We use it while they are learning to read. I started dd on level 1 when she was 4, but she already had learned most of the skills in the first half of the book before we started. We had been using another book which taught the same skills. So there was lots of review! It has been wonderful, and the skills that she has learned have really helped her with her reading.

Here's an article about readiness that might help you: http://all-about-spelling.com/spelling-readiness . The author actually uses AAS to teach both reading and spelling in her private tutoring practice; it's a complete phonics program. But it's paced as a spelling program--so if you want to use it to teach reading and you have a child who is ready to move ahead faster in reading than in spelling, you might need to adjust how you teach it. Merry :-)

Okay, so I just noticed your other questions. AAS teaches all of the sounds for each letter/phonogram right away. So no short sound now, long sound later, etc. It also teaches how to build a word. First you orally take a word apart into its separate sounds. Then you match each sound with the correct letter/phonogram. This is the opposite of reading, but the skills transfer. For more reading reinforcement we simply read the words that dd had already learned to spell and played games with them. Well, this is what we did before she made a huge jump in her reading ability. Now we have moved ahead and are in level 2 for reading/phonics skills and level 1 for spelling (which we've been slacking on lately). I'd be happy to answer any other questions that you have. :)

Oh, and happy birthday to your son!!

Now we have moved ahead and are in level 2 for reading/phonics skills and level 1 for spelling (which we've been slacking on lately). I'd be happy to answer any other questions that you have. :)

Oh, and happy birthday to your son!!

Thank you!

I'm a little confused with how you separate the reading lessons and the spelling lessons..

I looked at the samples on the website and I'm just not understanding how to break those parts of the lessons up. He already knows letter sounds and some phonograms, and he is reading easy phonetic 3 and 4 letter words. He can read level 1 bob books, but he still sounds out every letter.

Would I for example just do a spelling lesson on CAT and move forward for a reading lesson on say, FlOAT?

Thus far, I've been letting him spell things as they sound to him phonetically, ex dinasor instead of dinasoar. This is usually while playing outside with chalk or with his magnetic alphabet pieces.

We just move quicker for the phonics learning. It is like there are two separate lessons. We did go through all of the lessons, even if it was easy for her, in both reading and spelling. So we didn't skip anything, but just went through the words more quickly for reading than for spelling. So, for example, we might read through all of the words in a step for reading in one day, but take a week to do a step for spelling.

Thus far, I've been letting him spell things as they sound to him phonetically, ex dinasor instead of dinasoar. This is usually while playing outside with chalk or with his magnetic alphabet pieces.

I don't always do this, but sometimes I try to help her with words that are a little more difficult. If need be, I say the word in a way that is more conducive to hearing the correct spelling. And with phonograms that she doesn't know I would just tell her that the "or" sound in this word is spelled A U R.

oh, just one last question, should I stop with the other phonics programs, would using AAS with them be overkill?

:D

Well, if you used the program in two separate places for reading and spelling than you shouldn't need another phonics program. We aren't using one. But you could always just keep doing what you are doing for phonics, especially if you like it, and just use AAS as spelling and phonics review.