Menu

Let us explore the term "LADYLIKE"

Oh, Nakia!! I love your honesty! I know you from TOB (I'm Cyndiinokc over there!) and I NEVER EVER pictured you as you described above.

We have a lot in common! I have a homeschooling neighbor who has TWICE caught me unawares and I was, at the last minute as my kid opened the front door, hiding in the laundry room hastily donning a bra. :001_huh:

Hi Cyndi!!! I didn't know you hung out here! Love it!

As we were saying earlier in this thread, it's all about timing! You don't do those things in other people's kitchens, do you?

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I say crap everywhere, but I try my best not to fart in anyone else's kitchen. :D

My idea of a perfect or near-perfect lady: Ma Ingalls. She was extremely capable and active, but always in control of herself, gentle and sweet but firm, warm and caring, but not sentimental.

As far as your relative, I can sympathize with her feelings a bit. It's hard to be around a big group of kids, even well-behaved ones, if you're not used to it. I have some nervous issues, possibly related to fibromyalgia, that make me super-sensitive to any loud or sudden noises or bumps. I have a very difficult time with this, but I do the best I can with it.

Anyway, it takes all kinds to make a world. It sounds like your relative has a lot of good points, she just has a different upbringing/lifestyle/nervous system. :grouphug:

My idea of a perfect or near-perfect lady: Ma Ingalls. She was extremely capable and active, but always in control of herself, gentle and sweet but firm, warm and caring, but not sentimental.

Didn't she almost amputate her own leg or something? (I watched part of a TV episode, so I was a bit murky, but it was pretty scary and memorable!) And she her feelings about "Injuns" was rather, er, not sentimental.

This is almost one of those "know it when you see it" type of labels. I could name you women I know IRL who are or who aren't, but it's hard to explain why. A lot has to do with discretion (not saying every dumb thing which comes into your head,) a certain familiarity with culture and manners (basics like how to treat guests, not necessarily high culture,) etc.

I think one of the most important attributes of a lady is not needing constant attention for herself. The woman laughing too loudly and claiming to all that she IS the life of the party would be the opposite of ladylike to me. Also, anyone who breaks the guideline that anything nice about yourself said in public should be said only by someone else s probably not a lady. :)

Edited by angela in ohio