Menu

Let us explore the term "LADYLIKE"

What does this term stir up in your imagination?

I am assuming this term is very subjective. I have a family member visiting who is the epitome of what many would call "ladylike." Quiet spoken, very feminine. She is not frilly, but hair and makeup always pristine (tasteful), and clothes impeccable with accessories in place. She is pleasant, patient, kind, and forgiving. She is lovely.

My soul searching on this topic has arisen because she is struggling to get by in our home. We move quickly, talk quickly, we even hug quickly. We are loud, but loving. She can barely lift the baby, and the making of a PB and J sandwich takes so long that I want to cry. It takes her two hours to be "ready" in the morning, and then she can't really do anything because she is so frail- not old mind you- just physically sensitive to the bumps and jostling that occur in a large family. I have looked over at her at times, as she sits on the couch and watches the whirlwind, and wonder if we have shorted a fuse in her mind. It has been difficult for her to leave her orderly, monastic environment and live life amongst real people. By "real" I mean our family as well as our neighbors and friends- who at times can be rough around the edges, but they are real too.

She has been here four days.

I love this family member, but I don't admire her. I respect her and I honor her position, but I admire strong women. I admire women who can take care of themselves and their neighbors and friends when emergencies occur, and then bake a cake when it is all done.:D I like pretty things. I like comfortable homes and a well set table- but if a hurricane hit next week I would know what to do when my husband had to leave to take the boat to sea leaving me in charge.

What I admire doesn't fit my image of "ladylike," but I think my image is changing.

I would love your thoughts.

Jo

Honestly, I don't think of frail as the epitome of ladylike. Good manners, yes. Femininity, too. (Though I think you can be feminine in cowboy (girl!) boots). Well spoken and even gentle, as in a "gentle and quiet spirit". But I think that a gentle and quiet spirit can be present in a flamboyant person - it's the inside that's gentle and quiet, not the outside. A person who is overwhelmed by "life" would be in turmoil inside, I would think.

I think of Ann from Persuasion. But tougher. :D

I think a woman should be capable to be admired.

She's a good one too, but I hated the way her family bossed her around. In any case she was dutiful.

I think Melanie's loyalty to Scarlett was beautiful. Melanie was also physically frail, but didn't let it stop her from living. So to me, frailness doesn't rule out ladylike....ness??

I would rather someone say, "What a woman!" about me than, "What a lady." I strive to be someone who can build a barn, deliver a baby and bake a cake. I live with chronic pain but I try not to let it slow me down. I hope I die before the day my kids have to so much as think they need to take care of me. Now, mom doesn't want to do that? Well, that's a whole different matter. :tongue_smilie:

BTW, you said you love her but don't admire her? I admire her. I admire her courage and her obvious love for you and your family that allows her to walk outside her circle of comfort to spend time with you and yours.

I know that sounds harsh, and I don't mean it to. She does love our family, and we love her, truly. I want to be very careful with my words and not let them spill over in meaning. I really do respect and love her. And there are specific areas that I *do* admire in her. She is prayerful. I admire that. She is amazingly gracious. I admire that. But I am trying to be honest. I would not want my girls to grow up modeling her. And that is the sad truth.

Jo, I think she has major wiring issues. She's probably easily overwhelmed because not everything's firing quite like it should. Sensory stuff, time management stuff, all kinds of things goin' on in her head that are just very different from how your group does things. Neither is objectively bad, just truly different hardwiring.

Blessings on you as you enjoy her for who she is. Certain interactions I've had lately with certain relatives of similar description have left me with my eyeballs rolling crazily around in my head, so I'll be quiet now. (Except to say that I don't think this has anything to do with being ladylike. She might need more calories or something to increase her stamina, though.)

Blessings, dear. :)

I'm sure she is ladylike, but that is not ladylike. Ladylike is not what you do, it's how you do it.

It's about having impeccable manners, carriage, grace, while doing everything you do, whether that is building the barn or baking a cake or setting the table and hosting a ladies' tea.

(and I can completely relate to her shell shock - I'm an only child with quiet parents. Every day, the chaos and noise of having three kids running around shocks me.)

Melanie from Gone With the Wind. She's my hero.

*howls* NOOooooo! She married that drip!

Uh, we've been having conversations about modesty around here lately. Dh and I have rather different ideas. What I call modesty, he calls hang ups. I don't want my daughter having too many hang ups, but if modesty is one, it's one I want her to have.

Rosie

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Ha! I don't even have to use my imagination. Around here, being ladylike means don't show your undies and get your finger out of your nose. :tongue_smilie: DD4 is a tough study. She would fit your definition of ladylike though. She's tough as nails! :lol:

I admire strong women. I admire women who can take care of themselves and their neighbors and friends when emergencies occur, and then bake a cake when it is all done.:D I like pretty things. I like comfortable homes and a well set table- but if a hurricane hit next week I would know what to do when my husband had to leave to take the boat to sea leaving me in charge.

What I admire doesn't fit my image of "ladylike," but I think my image is changing.

I like what you like but I wouldn't define a take-charge attitude or lack thereof as ladylike. I think you can be tough as nails and also ladylike but you can also be a gentle, delicate ladylike person. To me, being a lady is the feminine version of being a gentleman--showing grace, respect for others, good manners, offering help when needed, saying nothing unless you have something nice to say and, of course, not showing your undies and keeping your finger out of your nose. Some things never change, even with age. :lol:

When I think of ladylike I think of someone who is control of their actions. They control what comes out of their mouth (no swearing, rude comments, etc.) and what their body does (e.g., no break dancing) and they dress in a stylish but reserved fashion. They're cultured too. From the little bit that you wrote, it sounds like she is ladylike and strong otherwise she'd be snapping at everyone because she isn't used to that type of confusion

I am assuming this term is very subjective. I have a family member visiting who is the epitome of what many would call "ladylike." Quiet spoken, very feminine. She is not frilly, but hair and makeup always pristine (tasteful), and clothes impeccable with accessories in place. She is pleasant, patient, kind, and forgiving. She is lovely.

My soul searching on this topic has arisen because she is struggling to get by in our home. We move quickly, talk quickly, we even hug quickly. We are loud, but loving. She can barely lift the baby, and the making of a PB and J sandwich takes so long that I want to cry. It takes her two hours to be "ready" in the morning, and then she can't really do anything because she is so frail- not old mind you- just physically sensitive to the bumps and jostling that occur in a large family. I have looked over at her at times, as she sits on the couch and watches the whirlwind, and wonder if we have shorted a fuse in her mind. It has been difficult for her to leave her orderly, monastic environment and live life amongst real people. By "real" I mean our family as well as our neighbors and friends- who at times can be rough around the edges, but they are real too.

She has been here four days.

I love this family member, but I don't admire her. I respect her and I honor her position, but I admire strong women. I admire women who can take care of themselves and their neighbors and friends when emergencies occur, and then bake a cake when it is all done.:D I like pretty things. I like comfortable homes and a well set table- but if a hurricane hit next week I would know what to do when my husband had to leave to take the boat to sea leaving me in charge.

I would love your thoughts.

Jo

Ladylike - Laura Bush

I would add Elizabeth Bennet as a lady. She can speak her mind without being crude; she knows her own value as a person and stays true to herself and her values; she admits error humbly.

Eowyn is also a lady.

Just thought of something. Is there a difference in the connotation of lady versus ladylike? Might there be a distinction between the two?

Perhaps I'm splitting hairs...

I wouldn't really associate frailty with refinement; I think of ladylike as being refined. But one can be tough and still conscientious.

Uh, we've been having conversations about modesty around here lately. Dh and I have rather different ideas. What I call modesty, he calls hang ups. I don't want my daughter having too many hang ups, but if modesty is one, it's one I want her to have.

You can withhold certain things to the right circumstance; it's not a contradiction to be chaste AND be able to express and enjoy marital love, in my opinion -- because you wait for the right situation, behaving in one mode, and then you let your guard down. It's not reliving Rosaura's wedding night from "Like Water for Chocolate" with that sheet, nor is it grabbing any old man off the street to prove you aren't inhibited.

For me, "ladylike" isn't necessarily a term of approbation. I am with the other poster who said she'd rather be thought of in terms of "what a woman" than "what a lady."

Among other things, the word lady most frequently comes out of my mouth when I am disagreeing with someone on the radio, or behind an annoying driver (eg. "Come ON, lady--what are you talking about, etc).

My mother told me to be ladylike and not call boys first, they should call you. Whether or not you agree with this sentiment, I don't think that ladylikeness rests in your phone etiquette, or any other single attribute (except, perhaps, for the "finger out of nose" bit! :lol:).

I too admire strong women--I am more of an Eowyn girl than an Arwen. She knew what she wanted to do and she did it. That's the woman I admire. Was she ladylike? I dunno--she was beautiful, honorable, gracious, loyal, and steadfast--but she sure didn't sit on her cushion, sewing fine seams, and dining on strawberries, sugar, and cream. Is she ladylike? I think not. I think she is a gentlewoman. That's what I'd like to be, myself. :)

ok, I'm going to be honest. I fought the urge to put what I really think for a few minutes, but the urge is still there so here goes. And I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this and I hope I don't offend anyone.

She may look all put together and ladylike, but she still farts and poos just like the rest of us. :scared::lol::lol::lol:

Whew! I feel better now. :D

Honestly, you said she is lovely, and I'm sure she is. She's just more comfortable in her own element, just as we all are. My family would not be as comfortable in her home, even being as lovely as she is. We are loud, joke and laugh all the time, have many kids, etc. We are NOT quiet people. So we'd probably be much more comfortable in YOUR environment than hers.

Ladylike? Hmmm..... I'd have to think about that. Ladylike is probably someone who doesn't look at people who appear so perfect on the outside but says to themselves, "Yeah, but she farts and poos just like the rest of us."

:lol:

She may look all put together and ladylike, but she still farts and poos just like the rest of us. :scared::lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

Yes, but it depends on the noise/odor level it creates (or doesn't).:thumbdown::thumbup1:

You can withhold certain things to the right circumstance; it's not a contradiction to be chaste AND be able to express and enjoy marital love, in my opinion -- because you wait for the right situation.

Oh, absolutely. Timing is important!

Sure, but I think part of being ladylike is to refrain from sharing the details! Y'know, it'd be kind of nice if dh could learn not to do that. Not that I want him to be a lady, of course!

Rosie

I have seen a lot of favorite characters who are perceived as "ladylike" in the posts, what struck me is that we judge them as a package rather than for their actions in their particular environment.

My favorite "lady" is Eleanor from Sense and Sensibility. She knew what she wanted though she couldn't act upon all of them. She was strong, she had courage, she was intelligent, she could cook, clean, and run a household while everyone else went crazy despite the social environment in which she found herself. I don't know how she would behave if thrust into Lord of the Rings or Gone with the Wind, but I would like to think she could hold her own!

I think of a lady as someone who loves beauty, can carry on a conversation with anyone willingly, regardless of their perceived social stature, without making it apparent. A woman who can press on when the chips are down. An intelligent woman who seeks knowledge, is modest in dress and speech. A woman who expects as much from those she is around but leads by example not conscription. A woman as comfortable dealing with a ladies luncheon, a children's outing, or hauling/chopping the wood.

Wow, what a list, it brings me to mind of that scene between Elizabeth Bennet & Mr. Darcy after he describes his idea of the ideal woman.

"I am no longer surprised at your knowing ONLY six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing ANY."

"Are you so severe upon your own sex as to doubt the possibility of all this?

"_I_ never saw such a woman. _I_ never saw such capacity, and taste, and application, and elegance, as you describe united."

Boy, I've got a long way to go!:D

Ladylike to me is sort of a refinement, a grace that controls oneself under pressure. Good manners and poise, great hostess. Kind of what others have posted.

Interesting question because my mother and MIL are both self-assured bold women. They both have ladylike qualities but sitting quietly is not one of them. I would not want to be on the opposite of a debate with either of them. They are opinionated and willing to fight for the right thing. Fortunately they both like me. I have never considered them any less than ladies.

So maybe I'd add knowing when to speak and when to let something go would a ladylike quality.

My family is loud, we live life. We talk loud, we fight loud, we live out loud. I tend more to the Eowyn side of ladylike vs the Austen version. Give me a sword and a battlefield and I'll be there, I do not want to be the one home waiting for the warriors to return. I'm not sure I've ever been accused of being "ladylike" and that's all right with me.

Emma Harte from Barbara Taylor Bradford's book A Woman of Substance. She is a lady. To me ladylike has more to do with a woman's ability to be true to herself no matter what situation she finds herself in. It comes from within. Someone can have impecable manners but still be a nasty person. Not a lady.

I do tell my daughter to sit like a lady when sitting in a dress or skirt. Which is simply a reminder that she needs to keep her knees together unless she wants to be showing off her knickers.

I believe most people use the term ladylike to refer to demure, quiet, perfect manners, gracious, and proper.

Does she live alone? I connect a lot of what you describe not with being ladylike but with losing the ability to rub along with others.

Or being unused to being around children. Even my dad admits to finding it a bit overly stimulating being around my kids, whereas my husband's grandma looks rather serene as kids bounce off the walls around her! :)

I tend to agree with Laura and whomever referred to her wiring being different. Some people are wired to be quiet and need quiet. Others can tolerate a lot of action and noise. Either of those can be ladylike, or a slob.

The two don't always march along together.

I think of being ladylike as being gracious. Like Meredith of "Like Merchant Ships."

Or being unused to being around children. Even my dad admits to finding it a bit overly stimulating being around my kids, whereas my husband's grandma looks rather serene as kids bounce off the walls around her! :)

Not everyone is used to lots of kids, and as I always say about mine, "Well, five good children are still...five children."

:D

My family can manage with all the children around, and they love it...but it's not what they're used to. Moms of Many learn managerial skills that aren't the norm with most people, and I think it can be hard not to judge others by that stick. (I'm not just suggesting this to Jo...I'm guilty of this myself. I could see me snatching the knife from my mom as she delicately made a PBJ sandwich, lol.)

I use a Biblical standard, as a Christian, to define "ladylike". Not much to do with prim and proper, but everything to do with a gentle spirit. (Which I struggle with, mightily.:tongue_smilie:)

All I can think of Jo, and this is a bit tongue in cheek, is that the only time heard "ladylike" while I was growing up is in terms of the way I was sitting. :) Example: "Don't sit with one leg flung over the arm of the chair. Sit ladylike."

So for me it was a matter of poise and body language.

Hmmm....this is something good to think about. I have never thought of myself as particularly "feminine," but some of what various posters describe as ladylinke fits me.

Oddly, I also think of my younger dd as on her way to being ladylike, though I wouldn't have put it that way before I read some of these descriptions. She is on her way, yet she always has dirty toenails from playing outside, she uses power tools like a pro, she can put together furniture based on directions given in weird little drawings and languages other than English, and she dissects owl pellets and fetal pigs with the best of them. Hmmm.....

I know that sounds harsh, and I don't mean it to. She does love our family, and we love her, truly. I want to be very careful with my words and not let them spill over in meaning. I really do respect and love her. And there are specific areas that I *do* admire in her. She is prayerful. I admire that. She is amazingly gracious. I admire that. But I am trying to be honest. I would not want my girls to grow up modeling her. And that is the sad truth.

I think we all have different things to offer the world - the people around us. To some, her tranquility may be a calming influence. To you she just does not keep up with the pace of your family. Your family is probably lively and fun and she sounds more reserved and an observer.

I think the Proverbs 31 woman is the model for lady-likeness. She is the ultimate liberated woman, strong, sensitive, hard-working, smart, well-dressed, and respected.

Oh Gosh - not her again! :lol: This chapter of the bible gives me constant inferiority complex.

You aren't? You give off ladylike vibes :)

Rosie

I do? Interesting. I fart in the kitchen, say crap all the time, snort, and never wear a bra at home, among many other non-ladylike traits. I think I am disqualified. :)

But thanks for the compliment!

No bra around the house? You say crap? I also am willing to bet that if your neighbors needed your help you would be there before they could think to ask. If there was a flood coming you would kick on your hubby's boots and start flinging sandbags until your arms wore out. Lady-like covers a whole lot of things and I think you have most of them covered.So there.

No bra around the house? You say crap? I also am willing to bet that if your neighbors needed your help you would be there before they could think to ask. If there was a flood coming you would kick on your hubby's boots and start flinging sandbags until your arms wore out. Lady-like covers a whole lot of things and I think you have most of them covered.So there.

:grouphug:

:D

I do? Interesting. I fart in the kitchen, say crap all the time, snort, and never wear a bra at home, among many other non-ladylike traits. I think I am disqualified. :)

Oh, Nakia!! I love your honesty! I know you from TOB (I'm Cyndiinokc over there!) and I NEVER EVER pictured you as you described above.

We have a lot in common! I have a homeschooling neighbor who has TWICE caught me unawares and I was, at the last minute as my kid opened the front door, hiding in the laundry room hastily donning a bra. :001_huh:

As we were saying earlier in this thread, it's all about timing! You don't do those things in other people's kitchens, do you?

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie