Menu

?? Re: burned sugar on ceramic cooktop...

I have a very clean ceramic cooktop -- not bragging, but it makes a difference with these things...you have to keep them clean or they're murder to recover!

I have had really good success keeping it clean, until last night when I made a teriyaki beef dish and spilled some of the homemade teriyaki sauce (mostly brown sugar and soy) onto the cooktop and it burned on. I got it off but it took me about half an hour of hard scrubbing (my hands are tired...I guess I'm a wimp)!

Maybe I'm using the wrong thing for this type of spill: I used the manufacturer's recommended glasstop cleaner, a blunt-scraper (looks like a blade but it's safe for ceramic cooktops...if you have this type of a cooktop you'll know what I'm talking about) and lots of elbow grease; when that didn't work, I switched to Barkeepers friend with the blunt scraper and even more elbow grease.

Any other suggestions?

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I used the manufacturer's recommended glasstop cleaner, a blunt-scraper (looks like a blade but it's safe for ceramic cooktops...if you have this type of a cooktop you'll know what I'm talking about) and lots of elbow grease;

I've burned a ridiculous number of things on my glasstop stove, including sugar mixtures of one type or another several times. What I do is liberally pour the glasstop cleaner over the entire messy area. Let it sit 5-10 minutes. Go at it with my blunt scraper (I use my pastry cutter). Whatever doesn't come up gets covered again (by using the pastry cutter to distribute the now half-disgusting mess of white/brown cleaner over it again). Leave it for another 5-10 minutes. Repeat as needed. I've had to do this up to 10 times before but it has never failed me. My stove still looks brand new. Good luck!